This Daily Current Affair Capsule is a brief collection of important news from national dailies and government releases on PIB useful for UPSC IAS, CDS, SSC CGL, NDA, etc. It covers national, international, economic, sports news.
National Important Current Affairs – 1 and 2 May 2017
■ Turkey has supported a permanent United Nations Security Council seat for India and called for reforms in the UNSC.
- Jamia Millia Islamia conferred the Degree of Doctor of Letters (Honoris Causa) to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan who is on a two-day visit to India.
- The university is conferring the degree to President Erdogan for “his contribution to strengthen international cooperation, peace and diplomacy as well as for his extraordinary humanitarian aid to millions of refugees.”
■ Speaking on getting rid of VIP hegemony, Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his Mann Ki Baat programme has said, the exit of the red beacon through a government decision is part of a system and efforts should be to cleanse it out of the minds. Prime Minister also said, the concept of New India precisely is that in place of Very Important Person, VIP, more priority should be accorded to EPI that is Every Person is important.
- Note that: ban on red beacons aimed at ending VIP Culture Mindset has come into force from 1st May. Ministers and officials in the Central government will not be able to use red beacons on their official vehicles.
- However, President, Vice-President, Prime Minister, Chief Justice of India and Lok Sabha Speaker will be exempted from the restriction.
- Red beacons will also be allowed on vehicles dealing with emergency in relief services, ambulance and fire services.
- The decision to do away with beacons of all kinds atop all categories of vehicles in the country was taken at a Cabinet meeting chaired by the Prime Minister in New Delhi last month.
■ The Real Estate Act, aimed at protecting the interests of a large number of buyers across the country, has come into effect from 1st May. The Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation Minister Venkaiah Naidu said the Real Estate Act will be a win-win situation for both the buyers and the developers.
- The Act will ensure the much desired transparency, accountability and efficiency in the crucial real estate sector.
- 13 states and Union Territories including Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat, Delhi, Daman and Diu have already notified the Real Estate Rules as required under the Act.
■ Tamil Nadu is facing its worst drought in 140 years, in which the farmers are the most affected leading to suicides due to non payment of debt.
■ After UP, now Jaipur all set to launch police women on scooters as anti romeo squads for checking instances of eve-teasing and harassment at public places.
International Current Affairs Capsule – 1 and 2 May 2017
■ 1st May is celebrated as International Labour Day, also known as International Worker’s Day or May Day. It is observed on this day every year to promote and encourage the international labour associations. The day aims to pay tribute to workers sacrifices in achieving economic and social rights all over the world. May Day originated in late 19th century when labour movement to gain the 8-hour work day began.
■ Mumbai attack mastermind and Jamaat-ud-Dawah Chief Hafiz Saeed will remain under house arrest in Lahore for 90 more days after the expiry of his three-month detention period which had ended yesterday. Pakistan’s Punjab Government has decided to extend the duration of the house arrest of Saeed and his four aides under the country’s anti-terrorism act.
■ The “South Asia satellite” for use by countries of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) region will be launched on 5th May 2017.
The satellite called GSAT-09 enables full range of applications and services in the areas of telecommunication and broadcasting applications viz. Television, Direct-to-Home (DTH), Very Small Aperture Terminals (VSATs), Tele-education, Telemedicine and Disaster Management Support.
- Note that :During the 2014 SAARC summit that held in Nepal, the plan for the satellite was announced and subsequently all SAARC countries have joined it except Pakistan. Hence, the beneficiaries of the satellite will be Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and Maldives.
Economics Today’s Current Affair Capsule – 1 and 2 May 2017
■ The Petrol and diesel prices will be revised on a daily basis from May 1st in select cities of the country on trial basis instead of using fortnightly average. Public sector oil marketing companies will launch a pilot for daily revision of prices in Puducherry, Vizag in Andhra Pradesh, Udaipur in Rajasthan, Jamshedpur in Jharkhand and Chandigarh.
- The rates will reflect daily movement in international oil prices and rupee – US dollar fluctuations. The scheme will be extended to other parts of the country gradually.
- Presently, price of fuel is revised on 1st and 16th of every month based on the average international price of the products in the last fortnight and rupee-dollar exchange rates.
■ Subsidised cooking gas (LPG) price was hiked by Rs 1.87 per cylinder and kerosene rate by 26 paisa a litre. However, the price of non-subsidised cooking gas (LPG) was cut by 92 rupees per cylinder.
■ The Dubai government has announced the launch of “Dubai Font”, which is the world’s first typeface developed by Microsoft for a city. It will be available in 23 languages to users of Office 365.
- Dubai’s Crown Prince, Hamdan bin Mohammed al-Maktoum, has urged all government institutions to adopt the font in official correspondence.
Sports News Current Affairs – 1 and 2 May 2017
■ Rafael Nadal has won his 10th Barcelona Open tennis title as he swept aside Austria’s Dominic Thiem in the final. It was the 51st clay-court crown for Nadal.
■ Aizawl FC has become first Northeastern club to win I-league after they held Shillong Lajong. Aizawl ended the league on 37 points and became the first club from the Northeast to bag the title.
■ The top-seeded Indo-American pair of Leander Paes and Scott Lipsky defeated Argentine third seeds Leonardo Mayer and Maximo Gonzalez to win the Tallahassee Challenger title of the men’s double.
“Current Affairs Questions for UPSC IAS Prelims”
Q1. India’s first-ever electric taxi (e- taxi) trial run will be held in which city?
- A) Nagpur
- B) Guwahati
- C) New Delhi
- D) Lucknow
Q2. Which country hosted the 2017 International Basava Convention (IBC)?
- A) India
- B) China
- C) Japan
- D) Norway
Answer these questions in the comments below. Discuss your thoughts on the news and issues mentioned in today’s current affairs post. Have a good day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.