This Daily Current Affair Capsule is a brief collection of important news from national dailies and government releases on PIB useful for UPSC IAS, CDS, SSC CGL, NDA, etc. It covers national, international, economic, sports news.
National Important Current Affairs – 14 April 2017
■ Today is 126th birth anniversary of Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar, chief architect of Indian constitution.
- Dr Ambedkar, was born on 14th April 1891 at Mhow in Madhya Pradesh, which is now known as Dr Ambedkar Nagar.
- He was also the first law minister of India.
- In 1990, the Bharat Ratna, was posthumously conferred upon Ambedkar.
■ New Year is being celebrated in various parts of the country today.
- In Assam, the day is celebrated as Rongali Bihu, also known as the ‘Bohag Bihu’ as it marks the beginning of the Assamese month-Bohag.
- In West Bengal, people visit Dakshineswar and Kalighat temples since early morning on occasion of Poila Baishakh. People are wishing each other ‘Shubho Nobo Borsho’ and exchanging sweets and greetings.
- In Kerala, devotees throng Krishna temples, especially in Guruvayoor and the Aiyappa temple in Sabarimala for auspicious Vishukani Darshan on Vishu.
- In Tamil Nadu, New year or Puthandu is also being celebrated today with traditional fervor and gaiety in the state.
- In Odisha, the occasion of Maha Vishuba Sankranti all temples across the state are witnessing a string of devotees.
- Good Friday is being observed today by Christians all over the globe to mark the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death at Calvary. It is called Good because it is believed that Jesus Christ, died for our sins, on this day. It is observed on the Friday before Easter Sunday, that marks the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
■ In order to boost tourism, a selfie point or the viewing gallery, has been created opposite the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus, which is a UNESCO heritage site in Mumbai. The selfie point also faces the Brinhanmumbai Municipal Corporation building.
■ The Supreme Court has pulled up Tamil Nadu government over farmers’ suicides and said it cannot leave the poverty-struck agriculturalists at the mercy of their fate.
- The state government is to submit its response within two weeks on the plea filed by Tamil Nadu-based NGO.
- The order came in the backdrop of protests by drought-hit farmers in the national capital demanding loan waiver and drought-relief package.
■ The Supreme Court has directed the Centre to include Urdu as a medium in National Eligibility cum Entrance Test from academic session 2018-19 onwards. This came after a plea was filed by the Students Islamic Organisation, requesting the
court for the inclusion of Urdu in NEET.
■ Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao has announced a financial assistance of 4 thousand rupees per acre to farmers towards purchasing fertilizers.
- He asked farmers to form into associations at village level to monitor its implementation at the grass roots level.
- As per the government estimations, about 55 lakh farmers who are using presently about 25 lakh tonnes of fertilizers across the state will be benefitted with this proposed scheme.
International Current Affairs Capsule – 14 April 2017
■ The world’s chemical weapons watchdog, Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), has made allegations against the chemical attack by Syrian forces in the rebel-held town of Khan Sheikhun, were credible. Technical experts have analysed the available information and their preliminary assessment was that it was a credible allegation.
- On the other hand Syrian President Bashar-al Assad has said that the reports of a chemical attack by his forces are fabricated.
■ The US military has dropped its largest non-nuclear bomb (known as mother of all bombs), ever deployed in combat, on an Islamic State tunnel complex in eastern Afghanistan.
- A Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB)GBU-43/B was dropped on a tunnel complex of ISIS-Khorasan, a regional affiliate of the terror group.
- The MOAB is 100 quintal, GPS-guided munition that is America’s most powerful non-nuclear bomb. It was dropped by an MC-130 aircraft, operated by the Air Force Special Operations Command.
- American lawmakers have applauded the Trump administration for this action.
■ US President Donald Trump has signed the US instrument of ratification for Montenegro’s membership to NATO. This comes after the Senate approved the expansion of NATO to allow the small Balkan state to join the alliance.
Economics Today’s Current Affair Capsule – 14 April 2017
■ The national agriculture market- eNAM has transacted a record 15 thousand crore rupees business in one year. Note that: In April last year, PM Narendra Modi had launched the National Agriculture Market portal eNAM to connect e-mandis in several States.
- Currently there are 417 eNAM markets are working in 13 states.
- The Government targets to double the income of farmers by 2022 and for this, the government is improving the marketing policy and the Agriculture market.
■ India’s industrial output has slipped to a 4-month low, as it has contracted 1.2 per cent in February this year. Industrial output has fell due to decline in the manufacturing sector, and lower offtake of capital and consumer goods. The Index of Industrial Production, IIP, had grown 1.99 per cent in February.
- Capital goods output has declined 3.4 per cent, and overall consumer goods production has shrank 5.6 per cent during the month.
Sports News Current Affair Capsule – 14 April 2017
■ India and Australia have started a partnership for increasing cooperation in sports, in the presence of visiting Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and batting great Sachin Tendulkar. The partnership will advance India-Australia cooperation in four areas –
- Athlete and coach training and development,
- Sport science,
- Sport governance and integrity,
- Grassroots participation.
■ The 7th Junior National Hockey Championship has begun in Bhopal, in which 86 teams will take part. The tournament will continue for a month for under-19 boys and girls.
“Current Affairs Questions for UPSC IAS Prelims”
Q1. Who has been appointed the UNDP administrator w.e.f April 13, 2017?
- a. Achim Steiner
- b. Segolene Royal
- c. Antonio Guterres
- d. None of the above
Q2. For studying the framework of which currency has Government of India formed a panel?
- a. Bitcoin
- b. All virtual currencies
- c. Mobile wallets
- d. Both a and b
O3. Malala Yousafzai has received which honour(s) recently?
- a. Youngest UN Messenger of Peace
- b. Honorary US citizenship
- c. Honorary Canadian citizenship
- d. All the above
O4. Who is the most followed world leader on Instagram?
- a. Donald Trump
- b. Malcolm Turnbull
- c. Narendra Modi
- d. Justin Trudeau
Answer these questions in the comments below. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.