This Daily Current Affair Capsule is a brief collection of important news from national dailies and government releases on PIB useful for UPSC IAS, CDS, SSC CGL, NDA, etC) It covers national, international, economic, sports news.
National Important Current Affairs – 15 April 2017
■ Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath has announced that there will be no holiday in the state schools on occasion of birth anniversaries of great personalities. Instead children would be taught about the great personalities and the schools will function as per routine. The 220 day academic session has been reduced to only 120 days due to such holidays.
■ Prime Minister Narendra Modi has dedicated to the nation the 3,300 MW Koradi Thermal Power Plant at Nagpur. This much-delayed power plant will help boost the state’s power utilisation and help farmers draw power at flexible hours as per
- PM also laid the foundation stones for the proposed Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Indian Institute of Management
(IIM) and All Indian Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) there.
■ Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has announced that for the first time in Indian Railways’ history, the Habibganj station in Bhopal will be operated by a private firm. The station building will be developed in line with airport terminals. The minister has clarified that trains at the station will still be run by the Indian Railways only.
■ The Centre and the Uttar Pradesh government have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the ‘Power for All’ scheme in the state.
- The aim of this scheme is to ensure 24-hour quality power supply in the state by October 2018 and electric connection to every house and agriculture field by 2019.
- The agreement was inked in presence of Union Minister of State for Power Piyush Goyal, UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
■ Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced that women do not have to change their maiden names on passport after marriage. This was announced at the commemoration of the 50th anniversary of Indian Merchant Chamber’s ladies wing.
■ Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched BHIM-Aadhaar platform, the merchant interface of the BHIM App, which will allow people to make payments through the fingerprint scanner. This service will use Aadhaar numbers linked to bank accounts, and payments will be finalised only after customers keep their finger on the merchant’s biometric machine connected to the app through a smartphone.
■ Minister of State for Minority Affairs, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi has said the Centre is mulling revival of sending Haj pilgrims via sea-route to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia).
- A high-level committee, formed by the government to frame the Haj Policy 2018 according to the Supreme Court’s order, is exploring reviving the option of sending pilgrims via sea route to Jeddah.
- Sending pilgrims by ships will cut down travel expenses by nearly half as compared to airfares.
■ Gujarat Governor OP Kohli has approved the bill proposing life term for the slaughter of cows, calves, bulls and bullocks and up to 10 years imprisonment for transporting beef in the state. The bill also proposes the vehicles used for
transportation of beef shall be confiscated permanently.
■ In Tamil Nadu, the 45 day fishing ban in the eastern coastal zone has been enforced and the fisheries authorities have stopped issuing tokens for fishing to fishermen.
- This 45 day fishing ban for mechanized boats is enforced for fish species propagation under the Tamil Nadu Fisheries Regulation Act.
- Each fishermen family will be given Rs 5000 as compensation by the state government during the ban period).
- This is meant to protect fish in their breeding season and increase the fish catch.
International Current Affairs Capsule – 15 April 2017
■ Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, the leader who engineered landmark 2015 nuclear deal with world powers has registered to run for a second term. The election for four-year term will be held in May. He had won the 2013 election by a landslide on promise of ending the Islamic Republic’s diplomatic isolation and creating a freer society. Rouhani faces stiff opposition from conservative hardliners.
■ Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai has received honorary Canadian citizenship. She has praised the country’s openness towards refugees under Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
- Note that: Malala is only the sixth person to receive honorary Canadian citizenship.
Economics Today’s Current Affair Capsule – 15 April 2017
■ The advertising industry watchdog, Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) has come up with a set of guidelines for celebrities endorsing products. Now Celebrities should ensure that all description, claims and comparisons made in the advertisements they appear in or endorse are capable of substantiation and should not mislead or appear deceptive.
■ The Income Tax department will investigate over 60,000 individuals under the second phase of ‘Operation Clean Money’, to etect the flow of black money into the banks after demonetisation. Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has detected undisclosed income of over Rs 9,334 crore between November 9, 2016 and February 28, 2017.
■ The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has tightened the PCA (Prompt Corrective Action) plan for Banks which outlines the ways to deal with lenders who do not comply with the efficiency yardsticks.
- This is aimed to align them with international norms.
- Breach of any one one of the PCA threshold levels will lead to restriction of some normal bank activities.
- Banks will be supervised for capital, asset quality, profitability and leverage.
- The PCA will henceforth be revised every 3 years.
Sports News Current Affairs – 15 April 2017
■ Sixteen-time world champion Pankaj Advani has won his 6th Asian Billiards title and seventh overall Asian championship. The ace cueist defeated his compatriot Sourav Kothari 6-3 in the final of the Asian Billiards Championship held in Chandigarh.
“Current Affairs Questions for UPSC IAS Prelims”
Q1. Which sports body has been granted affiliation by IOA in March 2017?
- A) BFI
- B) IABF
- C) NBF
- D) AIBA
Q2. Which state’s sex ratio touched 950 girls for 1000 boys for the first time this year?
- A) Punjab
- B) Karnataka
- C) Haryana
- D) HP
Q3. Which type of high power batteries for e-vehicles and automobiles has been indigenously developed by ISRO?
- A) Carbon
- B) Lithium ion
- C) Nickel Cadmium
- D) Lead Acid
Answer these questions in the comments below. Discuss your thoughts on the news and issues mentioned in today’s current affairs post. Have a good day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.