The whole set of notes from 15th to 21 August Current Affairs is listed below for revision.This compilation is not a substitute to regular newspaper reading. You should supplement your regular newspaper reading with this compilation for best results.
National News Current Affairs Update (15 August to 21 August 2016)
The important weekly current affairs update have been listed below along with the other relevant and significant information regarding them. Rather, this will help in revision of all relevant current event happenings of the week starting from 15 August to 21 August 2016.
- A two day meeting of BRICS Women Parliamentarian’s forum was held in Jaipur. It was inaugurated by Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan. Around 42 women Parliamentarians from the BRICS countries, including 28 MPs of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha participated in this meeting.
- ‘Jaipur Declaration’ – pledge of women parliamentarians to work together in the fields of economic growth, social inclusion and environment protection by intensifying mutual cooperation and strengthening strategic partnerships.
- It also called upon international financial institutions to extend support to developing and least developed countries and help them gain easier access to new and affordable technologies as envisaged under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Paris Agreement.
- The Declaration mentions the need to address climate change and protection of ecological system and forest as well as food security, expeditious parliamentary approval of SDG related legislation and adequate budgetary resources.
- Oil minister Dharmendra Pradhan distributed around 3,000 free LPG stoves under “Ujjwala Yojana” in Mumbai.
- Santoor maestro Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma will be conferred upon with the annual Sangeet Martand Ustad Chand Khan Lifetime Achievement Award.
- The monogrammed suit worn by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his meeting with American President Barack Obama on Republic Day 2015, which created huge controversy, has entered Guinness Book of World Records as ‘the most expensive suit sold‘.
- The suit was sold at an auction for Rs. 43,131,311.
- It was bought by Laljibhai Tulsibai Patel, a resident of Surat, in Gujarat, on February 20, 2015.
- The proceeds from this auction have gone to the Namami Gange Fund, a project to clean the Ganga River.
- Hindi scholar and writer Sunita Jain was awarded the prestigious 25th Vyas Samman 2015. She was honored with this award for her poetry collection “Kshama“.
- The Uttar Pradesh government announced to honour Indian wrestler Sakshi Malik who won a bronze at the Rio Olympic Games with the prestigious Rani Laxmi Bai Award.
- Cricket icon and Rajya Sabha MP Sachin Tendulkar has selected Donja village in Osmanabad district for development under the Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojna.
- About Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana : It is a rural development programme focusing on development of villages which include social and cultural development, and has spread motivation among the people on social mobilisation of the village community.
- The Maharashtra Government has became first state in the country to launch India’s first comprehensive ‘Crime Criminal Tracking Network System’ (CCTNS) in Mumbai, with operationalisation of 42 cyber laboratories across the state in order to combat growing cybercrimes.
- The Uttar Pradesh government has approved a Metro Rail project for Allahabad.
- Note that: Work is already underway on the Metro Rail in Lucknow and the Detailed Project Report for Varanasi and Kanpur has already been approved.
- The state cabinet also approved a scheme to provide free school bags and books to students till class VIII in government schools.
- A decision to increase the salaries of cabinet and state ministers was also approved by the cabinet.
- To enhance transparency in power transmission sector of the country, the Union Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal, New & Renewable Energy and Mines, Piyush Goyal has launched the ‘TARANG’ Mobile App, ‘e-Trans’ & ‘DEEP’ e-bidding web portals.
- These are developed by Rural Electrification Corporation Transmission Projects Company Limited (RECTPCL), a subsidiary of REC Ltd.
- TARANG stands for – Transmission App for Real Time Monitoring & Growth
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Kanpur has adopted five villages in Uttar Pradesh under the Namami Gange programme.
- These five villages are – Ramel Nagar, Khoyra Katree, Pratapur, Hari Hindpur, Katri Ladhva Khera.
- The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) has developed a kit for onsite determination of toxic Hexavalent Chromium, Cr (VI) in drinking water.
- The detection kit is simple, user friendly, quick and cost effective kit for onsite determination of Cr(VI) in drinking water, which meets Indian standard IS10500 for drinking water as well as US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) criterion. The permissible concentration is 50- 10 microgram per litre.
Chromium is a heavy metal, widely used in industries such as leather, steel, chrome plating, paint manufacturing and wood preservation, is one of the major effluents found in water in several parts of the country. The chromium waste could be disposed off by converting in into trivalent chromium or chromium itself that would have several uses.
Hexavalent Chromium Cr (VI) is toxic and the WHO has classified it as carcinogenic, adding that its presence in water can cause stomach ulcers and cancers and severe damage to kidneys and liver.
- President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed former Union Minister Najma Heptulla as Governor of Manipur.
- Gujarat government has approved the implementation of the recommendations of 7th Pay Commission, raising salaries of over 8.5 lakh state employees and pensioners. This hike will cost 8,513 crore rupees annually to the exchequer
- President also appointed Banwarilal Purohit as the Governor of Assam.
- VP Singh Badnore has been appointed as the Governor of Punjab.
- Jagdish Mukhi has been appointed as the Lieutenant Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- The Union Government has allowed online authentication using Aadhar for new mobile connections. In this regard Department of Telecom (DoT) has issued guidelines for Aadhaar Electronic-Know Your Customer (e-KYC).
- Puducherry observed De Jure Transfer Day with pomp and gaiety on 16 August. In 1962 French colonies of Puducherry, Karaikal, Yanam and Mahe were formally acceded to the Indian Union.
- The Nation celebrated 70th Independence Day on 15th August. Addressing the nation on this occasion, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced a 20% increase in the pension of freedom fighters. He has also announced that the Government of India will bear medical expenses of ₹1 lakh for poor families.
- The first National Conference of Investigating Agencies was held at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi. The conference was attended by more than 100 delegates from States / UTs / Central Police Organisations.
- The Bihar State Legislature has unanimously ratified the Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014 for introduction of Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime in the country. With passage of the bill by the state legislature, Bihar becomes the second state in India to ratify the GST. Assam was the First state.
International News Current Affairs Update – (15 to 21 August 2016)
By reading the following Weekly Current Affairs 2016, you can know the highlights of the week starting from 15 August to 21 August in brief. All the major world news updates have been covered here which occurred over this week. International Relations (IR) Current Affairs form an important part of General Awareness and GS. We hope the following effort to give the weekly summary of Current events 2016 will prove helpful to our readers.
- Apple’s late Co-founder Steve Jobs has entered the International Photography Hall of Fame (IPHF), a US museum and foundation that honours inventors and photographers.
- India announced financial assistance worth Nepali Rs 3.9 crore for the construction of a new building and a hostel facility at a Sanskrit school in eastern Nepal.
- Renu Khator (61), Indian-American woman academic, will be inducted into the Texas Women’s Hall of Fame for making significant contribution for the benefit of the US’ second largest state.
- China and India held their 8th high-level Financial and Economic Dialogue to strengthen trade and economic cooperation. This annual dialogue is aimed at facilitating exchange of ideas and status updates on common macroeconomic policies.
- This year’s dialogue is being held ahead of the G20 summit in China next month and the BRICS summit in October in India.
- Myanmar has officially announced to support for China’s ambitious One Belt and One Road (OBOR) connectivity initiative along the ancient Silk Road.
- India and Bangladesh have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Route Permit for carrying Petroleum Goods to Tripura via Bangladesh.
- India is ranked 66th in the 2016 Global Innovation Index (GII). India has jumped up from 81st position in GII2015.
- The annual index was released by France-based international business school INSEAD and World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO), a specialized agency of the United Nations.
- Australia is going to close the controversial Asylum seeker detention centre in Papua New Guinea (PNG).
- India and Bangladesh have agreed to jointly produce a documentary on the 1971 War which led to independence for Bangladesh after a meeting between Information and Broadcasting M. Venkaiah Naidu with his Bangladesh counterpart Hasanul Haq Inu.
- The All India Radio (AIR) would begin an exclusive service for Bangladesh and the Bengali diaspora titled “Akashvani Maitree” from August 23.
- The world’s “largest aircraft” the Airlander 10 embarked on its maiden fligh at an airfield in Cardington, central England.
- Note that: The 92-metre-long Airlander 10, can fly at up to 4,880 metres and reach speeds of 148 kilometres per hour.
- China and ten member countries of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) have agreed to form a framework for a code of conduct to ease tension in disputed South China Sea.
- Oscar winning music composer AR Rahman has been honoured with the Tamil Ratna Award by the New York based Tamil Sangam. This is after his concert at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) chamber to honour M.S. Subbulakshi, the doyen of Carnatic music. (100th anniversary)
- The first South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Youth Parliamentarians Conference on `Peace and Harmony for Development’ was started in Islamabad, Pakistan.
- India has provided One million US Dollars grant to Zimbabwe in the wake of El Nino induced drought disaster.
- China is going to launch the world’s first quantum communication satellite which boasts of hack-proof ultra high security features to prevent wiretapping and intercepts. If it works, it will pave the way to a hack-proof communication system.
Economics News August Current Affairs (15th to 21 August 2016)
Important news and events in the economic world that happened over the whole week including the Sunday news has been listed here for quick revision.
- The state-owned telecommunications company, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) and Microsoft India have signed a MoU to offer telecom and IT solutions for big businesses to meet the demand for IT and cloud services.
- Union Government has appointed Urjit Patel (52) as the new (24th) Governor of Reserve Bank of India.
- He will have tenure of three years and shall succeed Raghuram Rajan. He was Deputy Governor of RBI earlier.
- The State Bank of India’s (SBI) board of directors has approved merger of its five associate banks and Bharatiya Mahila Bank (BMB) with itself. These are,
- State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur,
- State Bank of Hyderabad,
- State Bank of Mysore,
- State Bank of Travancore
- State Bank of Patiala and
- Bharatiya Mahila Bank.
- To make mobile payments easier, ICICI Bank has launched a payment service using a smartphone keyboard named ‘iMobile SmartKeys’. Users will be able to make quick and secure payments on any mobile application, like chat, messenger, email, games or search browser, without having to exit their current application on their smartphone.
- Health insurance arm of Aditya Birla Financial Services Group (ABFSG) has received the final regulatory approval from IRDAI. It is a joint venture between the Aditya Birla Group and South Africa-based financial services group MMI Holdings (MMI).
Sports News Current Affairs Update – (15 to 21 August 2016)
Important happenings in the field of sports have been given below. Since candidates don’t focus on sports news over the week, below you will find all the exam worthy details. We hope this weekly sports update is sufficient for your perusal.
- President of Indian Olympic Association (IOA) N. Ramachandran awarded the Olympic Order for his outstanding services to the Olympic movement.
- Jamaican Sprinter Usain Bolt has created an unprecedented record of a Triple Treble(first athlete to win 9 gold medals in sprinting events of Olympics) by winning third Gold medal in Rio Olympics 2016.
- Indian wrestler Narsingh Yadav has been banned from all competitive sporting events for four years by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) based in Lausanne, Switzerland. With CAS ruling, Yadav’s suspension begins immediately and he will not be able to participate in the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- Freestyle wrestler Sakshi Malik (23) has won India’s first medal at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games by clinching the bronze in 58kg category.
- With this victory she created history by becoming the first Indian woman wrestler to win an Olympic medal. This is India’s overall 25th medal in Olympic Games.
- Subrata Banerjee, the former international umpire who officiated in 13 One Day Internationals (ODIs), has passed away.
- Noted Odia actor and director Gobind Tej has passed away at 88 years of age.
- Former president of Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), the global governing body of football, Joao Havelange (100) has passed away. He had served as president of FIFA for two decades and had played pivotal role in transforming football’s governing body into a multibillion-dollar business.
- World famous prominent Punjabi writer, novelist and short story writer and Jnanpith awardee Gurdial Singh has passed away at 83 years of age. He had focused on the economically and socially marginalised people in rural Punjab in his short stories and novels.
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We promise never to Spam or Share your personal information with anyone.