This Daily Current Affair Capsule is a brief collection of important news from national dailies and government releases on PIB useful for UPSC IAS, CDS, SSC CGL, NDA, etc. It covers national, international, economic, sports news.
National Important Current Affairs – 16 April 2017
■ The Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) will introduce a 20% supernumerary quota for girls from the 2018 session in order to improve the gender composition of their classrooms. This decision was taken at a meeting of the Joint Admission Board (JAB) of the IITs. The implementation of this quota will implemented over 3 years –
- In 2018 there will be 14% additional seats
- In 2019 there will be 17% additional seats
- In 2020 total 20% additional seats to girls will be offered.
■ The festival of Easter is being celebrated today with religious fervor by Christians all over the world. Easter is also known as Pasch, Resurrection Sunday or Easter Sunday.
- This festival is celebrated by all Christians as it signifies Christ’s resurrection after crucifixion and death at Calvary on Good Friday.
- The week before Easter is known as the Holy Week and Easter is the end of lent and the last day of Easter Triduum – which includes Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Sunday.
■ Prime Minister Narendra Modi has felicitated the family members of great freedom fighters Raghu Dibakar, Laxman Nayak, Chakhi Khuntia, Bauxi Jagabandhu, Veer Surendra Sai, Nirmal Munda and others, who participated in the first mutiny against British East India Company in 1817 known as Paika Rebellion.
- The Paikas were the traditional land-owning militia of Odisha and served as warriors.
- The Paikas revolted against the British after the later took over their rent-free land that had been given to the Paiks for their military service to the Kingdom of Khurda of Odisha.
- This rebellion took place 14 years after Odisha came under British rule in 1803.
- Note that: The rebellion, by the landed militia of Khurda called Paiks, predates the first war of independence in 1857 but did not get similar recognition.
Finance minister Arun Jaitley, in his budget speech 2017, had announced to commemorate the 200 years of Paika Rebellion, an armed uprising against the British East India company in Khurda area in 1817.
■ Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh has prohibited the inscription of names of any government functionaries, also including the ministers and MLAs, on foundation stones and inaugural plaques.
International Current Affairs Capsule – 16 April 2017
■ The US Defence Department has confirmed that North Korea carried out a missile test and said the launch failed almost immediately. The missile blew up almost immediately. The launch of the ballistic missile occurred near Sinpo. This failed launch comes a day after North Korea showcased nearly 60 missiles at a giant military parade to mark the 105th birthday of its founder Kim Il-Sung.
■ India has cancelled the maritime talks with Pakistan, which were to be held in New Delhi during 16th to 19th April, over death sentence to Kulbhushan Jadhav on charges of spying. These talks were to be held to discuss issues related to fishermen
and search and rescue operations.
■ Nepal and China will hold their first ever joint military exercise named `Sagarmatha Friendship-2017′. This 10 day long exercise will focus on combating terror and disaster management. Note that : This is for the first time Nepal is holding a joint
exercise with China.
■ The former Governor of Jammu and Kashmir Girish Chandra Saxena has passed away at age of 90 years. He served as an Indian Police Service officer of the 1950 batch from the Uttar Pradesh cadre. He also served as the head of Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) from 1983 to 1986, and also as an advisor to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi. Post retirement, he was the governor of Jammu and Kashmir for two terms.
“Current Affairs Questions for UPSC IAS Prelims”
Q1. Which state government has launched “Operation Durga” to ensure women safety?
- A) Punjab
- B) Uttar Pradesh
- C) Madhya Pradesh
- D) Haryana
Q2. Which port has topped the list in the first-ever ranking of the ports on Sanitation Parameters under the Union Ministry of Shipping?
- A) Kandla Port
- B) Cochin Port
- C) Haldia Port
- D) Vizag Port
Answer these questions in the comments below. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.