National News Daily Current Affairs Update – 16 January 2016
ExamPariksha publishes relevant fact based Current Affairs daily to cover all important happening and developments in the National sphere in this section. Usually examiners ask GA GK questions in personal interviews focussing on recent events to check how informed you are, is an attempt to cover all important topics for such scenarios also.
- 15th January has been celebrated as the 68th Indian Army Day. On this in 1949, Lt. General (later Field Marshal) KM Cariappa became the first Indian Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army post Independence. This Day also marks a day to salute the valiant soldiers who sacrificed their lives to protect the country and the people living in it.
- Jharkhand will hoist the world’s largest Tricolour flag flying atop the country’s tallest flagpole at the Pahari temple in Ranchi. It stands tall at 293 feet, and measures 99×66 feet. Note that: The Ranchi Tricolour beats a record held earlier by a flag in Haryana’s Faridabad.
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has been conferred the prestigious Lee Kuan Yew Exchange Fellowship at Singapore. The award has been conferred on Chouhan for excellent works and innovations in agriculture, irrigation, power, women’s empowerment and other sectors. Note that: Chouhan is the 4th Indian recipient of the award.
- The Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act 2015, which allows children aged 16 to 18 years and in conflict with law to be tried as adults in cases of heinous offences, comes into force from 15th January. This Act, has been passed by the Rajya Sabha in the winter session of Parliament, and it received President Pranab Mukherjee’s assent on December 31. The Ministry of Woman and Child Development is the nodal agency for this law.
International News Daily Current Affairs Update – 16 January 2016
Questions about International Relations (IR) are often asked in interviews, written exams conducted by various recruiters. The following international news has important daily current affairs which you must know as an aspirant for exams conducted by UPSC and State PSCs.
- Singapore has signed four agreements with the Madhya Pradesh government in various sectors.
- The MoU on setting up 1000 megawatt wind energy plant in western part of the state. It was the biggest of the investment proposals.
- The MoU covering urban planning was signed between the Directorate of Town & Country Planning and Singapore Cooperation Enterprise,
- The MoU on capacity building and skill training
- The MoU covering food processing
Economics News Daily Current Affairs Update – 16 January 2016
- In order to spread awareness about various financial products, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has revised Financial Literacy Centres (FLCs) guidelines to align them with the current financial landscape.
- India’s grid-connected solar power generation capacity has crossed 5,000 MW mark, with Rajasthan on top, followed by Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh.
- The Government of India has signed a loan agreement with World Bank for the Neeranchal National Watershed Project::
- The project is to be implemented by Ministry of Rural Development over a six-year period (2016-21)
- It will support the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayi Yojana in hydrology and water management, agricultural production systems, capacity building and monitoring and evaluation.
- United Nations has downgraded its GDP growth forecast for India for 2016 to 7.5 per cent from 8.2 per cent estimated earlier, mainly due to slow progress in implementing the reform policies such as the GST.
- French telecom major Orange has signed a deal with Bharti Airtel International (Netherlands) BV for acquiring its operations in two African countries, Burkina Faso and Sierra Leone in African continent.
- According to a report prepared by the National Science Foundation’s National Center for Science and Engineering Statistics (NCSES), India sends the largest number of engineers and scientists to the US with about 950,000 immigrant scientists and engineers coming from the country. The number of scientists and engineers residing in the US rose from 21.6 million to 29 million from 2003 to 2013.
- The RBI has said in a clarification on the Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) Scheme, that the use of Aadhaar cards and seeding of bank accounts with those numbers are purely voluntary and not mandatory.
Sports News Daily Current Affairs Update – 16 January 2016
- Mesut Ozil has been named as Germany’s national team player of the year for 2015.
- Former World No.1 tennis player Marat Safin of Russia has been included in the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
- Alan Rickman, one of the best-loved and most warmly admired British actors, has passed away. He was famous for his role as Professor Snape in the Harry Potter films.
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.