The Current Affair Capsule is a brief collection of all news of the day. It covers national, international, economic, sports news useful for exams like CDS, UPSC, SSC, etc.
National News Important Current Affairs Update – 18 December 2016
The news below covers all important topics of national significance from today’s current news.
☀ The government has announced the appointment to the following positions:
- Indian Army Chief – Lieutenant General Bipin Rawat
- Indian Air Force Chief – Air Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa
- Intelligence Bureau (IB) Chief – Rajiv Jain
- Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) Chief – Anil Dhasmana
☀ Himachal Pradesh has achieved 100 percent Aadhar saturation on the basis of population of year 2015. With this, Himachal Pradesh has become the sixth State/UT in the Country to have hundred percent saturation of Aadhar.
- Note that: Delhi, Telangana, Haryana, Punjab and Chandigarh have already achieved this milestone.
☀ Government has formed an inter-ministerial task force to look into all the strategic aspects of Indus Water Treaty (IWT) with Pakistan. It will be headed by : Nripendra Mishra (Prime Minister’s Principal Secretary)
- Other members of the team are : Ajit Doval (National Security Adviser), S Jaishankar (Foreign Secretary), and Secretaries in ministries of Finance, Environment, Power and Water Resource.
☀ Aiming to reduce administrative costs, West Bengal government has reduced the number of its departments from 63 to 52 by merging 21 departments into 10 others. This decision was taken to increase the efficiency and ensure better delivery of public services.
☀ President of Kyrgyzstan, Almazbek Sharshenovich Atambayev will be on a four day state visit to India from today. President Atambayev is leading a high-level delegation comprising ministers, senior officials and business leaders.
☀ The Maharashtra Assembly has passed a resolution for renaming the Elphinstone Road railway station to Prabhadevi and also adding ‘Maharaj‘ to the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport.
☀ Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has said that political parties cannot accept donations in old 500 and 1,000 rupee notes since these bills have been demonetised.
☀ Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje has launched Annapurna Rasoi scheme, under which state government will provide breakfast for ₹5 and lunch and dinner for ₹8 to the poor.
- For this scheme, Rajasthan government has introduced 80 vehicles to cover headquarters of 12 districts for the first phase of scheme.
- This is similar to Late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa’s Amma canteen.
☀ Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting President of Tajikistan Emomali Rahmon have signed agreements in various fields. These are,
- Memorandum of understanding (MoU) on cooperation in the exchange of financial intelligence related to money laundering, related crimes and financing of terrorism
- MOU on Exchange of financial intelligence, following delegation-level talks
- Protocol amending avoidance of double taxation and prevention of fiscal evasion
International News Daily Current Affair Capsule – 18 December 2016
The following international news has important daily current affairs which are useful in studying international relations for exams conducted by UPSC and State PSCs.
☀ Newly appointed UN Secretary-General António Guterres has selected women officials for three top jobs at the United Nations following his pledge to promote gender equality. He has nominated the following:
- Nigeria’s Environment Minister Amina Mohammed as Deputy Secretary-General,
- Maria Luiza Viotti from Brazil as his Chief of Staff
- And has created a new post of Special Advisor on Policy for South Korea’s Kyung-wha Kang.
☀ Poland’s parliament has passed a law restricting public meetings, with the Opposition slamming the law as ‘anti-democratic’. The ruling party has claimed that this law will boost the security of participants by preventing clashes.
- It has introduced the concept of ‘periodic meetings’ for rallies organised repeatedly and put restrictions by separating new unrelated meetings from ‘periodic meetings’.
☀ NASA has successfully launched a constellation of eight microsatellites into space from the ‘belly’ of an airplane. These satellites, meant to improve hurricane forecasting, were put in an orbit 500 km above Earth’s surface. They were fired from a height of around 12 km.
- This launch is a part of $157 million project, known as Cyclone Global Navigation Satellite System.
Economics News Today’s Current Affair Capsule – 18 December 2016
The following economics current news update has all important economy news for exams. These will also help in developing a better understanding of Economy.
☀ China’s US Treasury holdings have declined to the lowest in over six years, and hence, it is no longer the biggest foreign holder of US debt. This comes after China, the world’s second-largest economy, has been using its currency reserves to support its currency, yuan.
- Japan has emerged as the largest foreign US debt owner.
- Japan has gained this position after two years from China.
☀ State Bank MobiCash Mobile Wallet, a product by SBI and BSNL, has been launched. While introducing the service, the Finance Minister appreciated the broader vision of SBI and BSNL to bring a Wallet both for smartphones and feature phones.
☀ The World Bank has said that negotiations with rich nations have led to a record $75 billion commitment for grants to its poorest members for over the next three years. A group of over 60 donor and borrower governments have agreed to step up the fight against extreme poverty.
Sports News Current Affair Capsule – 18 December 2016
The following important current affairs capsule about sports news are relevant from exam point of view.
☀ Indian boxing star Vijender Singh knocked out former world champion, Francis Cheka to retain WBO-Asia Pacific Super Middleweight title. Vijender took less than 10 minutes to beat the Tanzanian boxer to defend his title at the Thyagraj Stadium in New Delhi.
Usually examiners ask GA or current GK questions in personal interviews and exams focussing on recent events to check how informed you are. This is our contribution towards making students more aware of what to study and what to ignore in daily news. We hope this compilation of current affair capsule was useful for going through today’s important events. Please share your comments with us. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.