All Important current affair for today that can be asked by examiners in current GK questions to check how informed you are are listed below. This is a sincere attempt by ExamPariksha team to cover all important topics to help our readers in interviews, exams or for staying up to date about general awareness issues.
National News Important Current Affair Updates – 18 May 2016
ExamPariksha publishes relevant fact based daily Current Affairs to cover all important happening and developments in the National sphere in this section.
☀ The Maharashtra Cabinet has decided to build a network of pipelines to fetch water from dams, scrapping the existing open canal system. Henceforth canals will not be built to give water to farms and supply drinking water to cities instead underground pipelines will be laid. This will help cut down the irrigation project costs by 30-35 percent.
☀ Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi has unveiled a ‘Draft National Policy for Women’, to create a society in which women attain their full potential and participate as equal partners in all spheres of life. The draft policy focuses on the safety and security aspect of women, their economic uplift and nutrition. To provide immediate assistance to women in case they fall victim to any kind of crime, Mrs. Gandhi also talked about installing a panic button in mobile phones.
☀ The government has launched 3 innovative IT initiatives of the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, developed in house by NHIDCL(National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd.) These are – ePACE, INFRACON and an updated version of INAMPRO.
- ePACE (Projects Appraisal & Continuing Enhancements) – is an online integrated Management Information System, ensuring effective and real time tracking of all projects of ministry on a common platform. It has also been provided with GIS interface to enable easy geo-tracking of the projects. It also allows for validation checks to prevent wrongful entries, making it difficult to fudge figures.
- INFRACON – is the National Portal for Infrastructure Consultancy Firms and Key Personnel, which acts as a bridge between consultancy firms and domain experts and key personnel deployed both for project preparation and supervision.
- INAM PRO – is a web-based application for Infrastructure and Material Providers. It is a web based market place that brings together the material providers and the prospective buyers on a common platform. Using INAM Pro, companies can track orders, add more products, add cement offerings, view listed buyers, and submit their complaints or suggestions to Ministry.
International Important Current Affair Updates – 18 May 2016
Questions about International Relations (IR) are often asked in interviews, written exams conducted by various recruiters. The following international news has important daily current affairs which you must know as an aspirant for exams conducted by UPSC and State PSCs.
☀ Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena have jointly released ‘Simhastha Declaration‘ at Ujjain. A total of 51 sacred points have been included in this declaration for betterment of mankind. The declaration is a guideline on how “a duty-centred system, which had been the origin of Indian philosophy of life, has become the most relevant today”.
☀ The World-first scanning helium microscope has been built by Australian researchers. It could help make many new discoveries by allowing scientists to scrutinise materials without disturbing them.
- While traditional microscopes use light to penetrate samples which can damage them.
- The scanning helium microscope will enable scientists to study human, animal and plant samples, as well as computer chips and pharmaceutical drugs, without damaging or changing them.
- It could help with the clean-up of toxic or even radioactive spills, without harming the surrounding flora or fauna.
Economics Important Current Affairs News Today – 18 May 2016
The following economics current news update has all important economy news for exams. These will also help in developing a better understanding of Economy.
☀ ICICI Bank has announced the launch of contactless business credit card in association with Jet Airways for small and mid-sized enterprises (SMEs) and their employees. The card is powered by the ‘VISA payWave’ contactless technology that enables the cardholder to make payments by simply tapping the card at contactless-enabled terminals in more than 48 countries including India.
☀ The State Bank of India (SBI), country’s largest lender, has kick-started the process of merging its five associate banks with itself.
- This merger of involves the – State Bank of Travancore, State bank of Hyderabas, State bank of Mysore, State bank of Bikaner and Jaipur, State bank of Patiala.
- It also plans to acquire the fledging Bhartiya Mahila Bank.
- The merger is expected to be completed by the end of the current financial year.
- The merger move comes after the government announced a road map for bank consolidation during the budget.
- What is the need for a merger? The merger was required to build size, seen as necessary to fund the huge infrastructure financing needs of the country.
- Note that: No Indian bank features in the top 50 banks of the world in terms of size.
18 May 2016 – Important Current Affair Updates Sports News
The following important current affairs about sports news are relevant from exam point of view. Questions might appear in upcoming exams:
☀ Indian womens team has reached the quarterfinals of the Uber cup being held in China after beating Australia by 5-0.
- About the Uber Cup: The Uber Cup is a major international badminton competition contested by women’s national badminton teams. It is also known as the World Team Championships for Women.
We hope this compilation was useful for going through today’s important current affair. Please share your comments with us. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.