ExamPariksha publishes fact based daily Current Affairs pdf to cover all important happening in national, international, economics, awards and sports. Here is a sincere attempt to bring clarity to important topics from today’s current gk topics.
National News Daily Current Affairs Update – 21 December 2016
The developments in the National sphere are listed below:
☀ The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has been awarded the gold in the Web Ratna category in the Digital India awards, 2016, which are conferred by the Ministry of Electronics & IT to promote more innovative e-governance initiatives by the government entities.
☀ The Central government has released a special assistance of 450 crore rupees to Telangana for development of backward areas, under the provisions of Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act.
- These backward districts which are being supported are Adilabad, Nizamabad, Karimnagar, Warangal, Medak, Mahbubnagar, Rangareddy, Nalgoda and Khammam.
- These additional resources will enable the State to devise and implement schemes best suited for mitigation of backwardness and alleviation of poverty.
☀ Railways has introduced a 10 percent discount on the vacant berths in its premium trains -Rajdhani, Durunto, Shatabdi, on a trial basis till May 31st. The ‘Tatkal quota’ has also been reduced from 30% to 10% now. Also, the fare of NewDelhi-Ajmer and Chennai-Mysore Shatabdi has been reduced to Rs. 300.
☀ National Green Tribunal (NGT) has ordered impose a fine of 50,000 rupees on airlines whose aircraft empty toilet tanks in air while landing and splattering human waste on houses.
- The NGT has directed aviation regulator Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) to issue a circular to all airlines, whose planes are involved in the act, to pay 50 thousand rupees as environmental compensation.
- Generally, the waste in the aircraft tanks are disposed of by ground handling personnel once the plane lands.
☀ President Pranab Mukherjee has cleared the appointment of Justice JS Khehar as the 44th Chief Justice of India. He will be the first chief justice from Sikh community. He will have a short tenure of about seven months until August 28, 2017.
☀ CBSE has made Class X Board exams compulsory from the academic session 2017-18. Also, three language formula can be extended till Class X while foreign language might be treated as fourth and elective.
- Presently, it is optional for CBSE students to choose either the Board exam or a school-based examination.
- The CBSE has also decided that existing three language formula, under which Hindi, English and Indian language are taught, should be extended to class IX and X as well from the current VI to VIII.
- It was also decided that languages listed in schedule VIII of the Constitution should be taught under the ‘Three language formula’, and purely foreign languages should be taught as a fourth language as an elective subject.
☀ The Election Commission (EC) will write to the Central Board of Direct Taxes, CBDT informing it about its decision to delist 200-odd political parties which exist only on paper.
- EC data shows there are currently 7 National Political Parties, 58 State Parties and a whopping 1786 Registered Unrecognised Parties.
- EC officials suspect that these political parties could be nothing but money-laundering operations and have not contested any election since 2005 and exist mostly on paper.
☀ Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region, Dr Jitendra Singh has announced to provide 207 crore rupees for protection and development of the world heritage island Majuli located along river Brahmaputra in Assam.
- This amount will be spent primarily for safeguarding the land loss due to erosion and to protect the 80 kilometer length of the bank line on the right bank of river Brahmaputra along Majuli island.
- The largest river island of the world, Majuli district, covers an area of around 340 miles.
- Nearly 1 lakh 60 thousand people reside at the Majuli river island which is also the hub of neo-Vaishnavite cultures initiated by Srimanta Shankardeva.
☀ The Rajasthan High Court has directed the state government to connect all central and district jails in the state with video-conferencing facility by February end next year.
- The court gave this direction while disposing a PIL drawing attention of the court to the fact that undertrial inmates and even those on pre-trial stage could not be produced in court for reasons like non-adequate escort, vehicles or other issues most of the time.
International News Important Current Affairs PDF – 21 December 2016
Questions about International Relations (IR) are often asked in interviews, written exams conducted by various recruiters. The following international news has important daily current affairs which a person must be aware of.
☀ Indian travellers will not be eligible for visa-free entry to Hong Kong, a special administrative region of China, from January, when a “pre-arrival registration” process will be put in place. The new rules will affect hundreds of thousands of Indians who visit the former British colony every year for tourism and trade.
- Among the total of 10,335 pending refugee applications in the city, 80% are from India, Pakistan, Vietnam, Bangladesh and Indonesia.
☀ Pakistan Senate has passed a resolution seeking withdrawal of Rs. 5000 currency notes in order to curb the flow of black money. This move is to encourage the use of bank accounts and reduce the size of unaccounted economy.
Economics News Today’s Current Affairs PDF – 21 December 2016
The following economics current news update has all important economy news for exams. These will also help in developing a better understanding of Economy.
☀ The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will shortly issue 500 rupee banknotes in Mahatma Gandhi New series with the inset letter E having star mark in the number panel.
- The banknote will bear the signature of RBI Governor Dr Urjit R. Patel, year of printing 2016 and Swachh Bahrat Logo.
☀ Reserve Bank has clarified that banks should accept deposits of pre-2005 currency notes, including the demonetised 500 and 1,000 rupee notes.
☀ Centre will provide additional grace period of 60 days to farmers, whose crop loan dues fall between 1st of November and 31st December, 2016.
- Decision was taken in view of the constraints faced by the farming community in repayment of loans due to demonetization of high value notes.
- Note that: The Government provides crop loans at subvented rates of interest at 7 per cent per annum, with a view to provide stimulation to the rural sector and farming community.
☀ Haryana government has issued petro cards to its drivers for cashless payments for fuel, for which two oil companies, namely Indian Oil and Bharat Petroleum have been shortlisted.
☀ The government has announced tax benefits for small scale businessmen opting e-payments asserting that if a small trader makes digital payment, his presumptive income will be assessed at 6 per cent for filing of tax, against 8 percent for other traders having turnover below two crore rupees.
21 December 2016 – Sports News Today Current Affairs PDF
The following important current affairs about sports news are relevant from exam point of view.
☀ The 26-year-old Czech tennis star, Petra Kvitova, the Wimbledon champion in 2011 and 2014, was injured after an attack by a knife-wielding burglar at her home in the eastern Czech town of Prostejov.
☀ Indian cricket team has ended the year as the Number 1 ranked Test team, after posting a 4-0 win over England in the five-match series. This series win helped India gain five points and they have moved 15 points ahead of second placed Australia.
☀ AIBA has unanimously granted full membership to the recently-formed Boxing Federation of India (BFI) at a meeting on the sidelines of its 70th anniversary gala in Montreux, Switzerland.
- Note that: India’s international suspension for the past four years had resulted in the isolation of the country’s boxers, who were deprived of foreign exposure.
We hope this compilation was useful for going through today’s current events of importance. Please share your comments with us. You can download the current affairs pdf by clicking on print button and saving it as a pdf. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We promise never to Spam or Share your personal information with anyone.