Today’s daily news for download covering national, international, sports and economics current affairs. Important news has been decoded for better understanding from PIB, Indian Express, The Hindu among others.
Today’s National News Current Affairs – 21 January 2017
☀ Election Commission has asked NITI Aayog not to hold special gram sabha in panchayats on this year’s Republic Day in poll bound states – Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Manipur and Goa. The special meetings of panchayats can be organised in the poll bound states only after the assembly elections are over in the states.
☀ The Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation has constituted a negotiations committee to assess availability and utilisation of waters of Mahanadi and its tributaries. The committee has been asked to submit its report within three months.
- This committee has been set up with reference to complaint from Odisha under section 3 of the ISRWD Act, 1956 regarding utilisation of waters of Mahandi Basin.
- It will be chaired by Member (WP&P), Central Water Commission.
- The committee will examine existing water sharing agreements on river Mahanadi and will consider claims of Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Jharkhand regarding availability and utilisation of waters.
What’s the Mahanadi river water dispute?
The 850km length of the Mahanadi river is divided almost equally between Chhattisgarh, where it is born, and downstream Odisha. In 2016, Odisha government opposed barrages that Chhattisgarh has been constructing, alleging that these barrages are meant to feed industrial projects and will hamper Odisha whose dependence on the river water is greater.
☀ The largest warship of the Indian Navy, INS Vikramaditya, will be equipped with its own dedicated ATM, catering to over 2,000 naval personnel deployed on the aircraft carrier. India’s largest public sector bank State Bank of India will provide the Navy the services for the ATM which will be on the satellite link.
☀ Supreme Court has refused to intervene into the appointment of the CBI Director, Delhi Police Commissioner Alok Kumar Verma. The selection committee comprises of the Prime Minister, Chief Justice of India and the Leader of Opposition and their wisdom cannot be questioned.
☀ A workshop on MSME Cooperation amongst Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) Member countries was recently held in India. It aims to strengthen economic relationship amongst the member countries in the field of trade and investment facilitation especially in MSME sector.
About the Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA):
It is an international organisation consisting of coastal states bordering the Indian Ocean, established in 1997 to promote cooperation in the Indian Ocean region. The IORA is a regional forum, tripartite in nature – representatives of Government, Business and Academia. It is the only regional forum linking most countries on the Indian Ocean rim through an annual Foreign Ministers’ meeting.
Formerly known as the Indian Ocean Rim Initiative and Indian Ocean Rim Association for Regional Cooperation (IOR-ARC).
☀ The Centre has cleared an ordinance on Jallikattu, paving the way for Tamil Nadu government to promulgate it in an effort to end the protests that have paralysed the state for the last five days.
- Tamil Nadu’s draft ordinance has been cleared, that will denotify the bull from the list of performing animals.
- This will ensure that provisions of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act will not apply to the bull.
- Note that: Jallikattu or bull-taming sport, which is an age-old annual event during Pongal, is very popular in Tamil Nadu.
☀ Bihar government will launch a Nasha Mukt campaign to make the state addidction-free. Over two crore people are likely to participate in human chains formed across the state on the occasion.
☀ The World Economic Forum, NITI Aayog, the World Intellectual Property Organization and the Cornell University are working together to develop an India Innovation Index that will encourage states to compete with each other and, in turn, lead to better policies for inclusive growth and innovation.
- The first ranking is expected to be released at the India Economic Summit in New Delhi in October 2017.
- The index will be based on key pillars of innovation – the strength of institutions, capacity of human capital and research, supporting infrastructure and the level of business sophistication, among others.
Important International Current Updates – 21 January 2017
☀ Donald Trump, 70, has taken over as the 45th President of the United States, from Barack Obama amid expectations of radical change in policies and apprehension at home and abroad. He took the oath of office in front of about 8 lakh people who gathered on the National Mall in the center of the capital. He was administered the oath of office by Chief Justice John Roberts.
- Mike Pence was also sworn-in as the Vice President of the US.
- Trump promised his administration will follow two simple rules – buy American and hire American.
- Mr Trump renewed his vow to attack radical Islamic terrorism, saying he will eradicate it completely from the face of the earth.
☀ Defeated Gambian President Yahya Jammeh has agreed to relinquish power and leave the country, saying it is not necessary that a single drop of blood be shed. Jammeh had declared a 90-day state of emergency, blaming irregularities in the electoral process earlier.
☀ NASA will send a spacecraft to a giant “metal” asteroid that may tell scientists the secret of how our solar system was formed. This mission is called “Psyche”, focused to know whether the asteroid, called “16 Psyche” and thought to be made of iron and nickel, could be part of what was an earlier planet perhaps as large as Mars.
- Psyche robotic mission will launch in October 2023 and will arrive at the asteroid in 2030.
- ’16 Psyche’ is the only known object of its kind in the solar system, nearly three times farther away from the sun than is the Earth.
Daily Economics Current Affairs – 21 January 2017
☀ The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has imposed penalties on 3 firms for bid rigging of tenders by Indian Railways for procurement of Brushless DC fans in the year 2013.
It is a statutory body responsible for enforcing The Competition Act, 2002 throughout India and to prevent activities that have an adverse effect on competition in India. It was established on 14 October 2003.
The Competition Act, 2002 prohibits anti-competitive agreements, abuse of dominant position by enterprises and regulates combinations (acquisition, acquiring of control and Merger and acquisition), which causes or likely to cause an appreciable adverse effect on competition within India.
The CCI consists of a Chairperson and 6 Members appointed by the Central Government.
☀ The first flight is likely to take off next month under the government’s ambitious regional connectivity scheme-UDAN (Ude Desh Ke Aam Naagrik). It seeks to boost regional air connectivity and provides various incentives to airlines.
- The fare for a one hour journey of approximately 500 kilometre on a fixed wing aircraft or for a 30 minute journey on a helicopter will be capped at two thousand 500 rupees under the scheme.
- Airports Authority of India has received 45 initial proposals from 11 bidders covering more than 190 routes under the scheme.
- The scheme was launched in October, which seeks to provide connectivity to un-served and under-served regions through revival of existing air strips and airports.
☀ RBI Governor Urjit Patel and other senior functionaries appeared before Public Accounts Committee (PAC) for oral evidence on Review of Monetary Policy in Parliament House, New Delhi. The RBI is working on a mechanism to bring down transaction cost on online payments post demonetisation.
☀ Inter-ministerial body, Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) has approved 6 investment proposals, envisaging foreign investments of Rs 1,186.5 crore.
- Though India allows FDI in most sectors through the automatic route, but in certain segments considered sensitive for the economy and security, the proposals have to be first cleared by FIPB.
- About the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) : It is housed in the Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance – an inter-ministerial body, responsible for processing of FDI proposals which does not come under the automatic route. It provides a single window clearance for proposals on FDI in India.
21 January 2017 – Important Sports Current Affairs
☀ In Badminton, world number 10 Saina Nehwal will play her semi-final match of the Malaysian Masters at Sibu in Sarawak. Saina, who is the top seed in the tournament, will take on fifth placed Yip Pui Yin of Hong Kong.
☀ In Australian Open Tennis, in the mixed doubles category, Rohan Bopanna has begun his campaign by winning. Teaming with Canada’s Gabriela Dabrowski defeated Kiwi-Slovenian team of Michael Venus and Katarina Srebotnik 6-4, 7-6, 10-7.
We hope this compilation was useful for going through today’s important news. Please share your comments with us. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.