The whole set of notes from 22nd to 28th August Current Affairs is listed below for revision. This compilation is not a substitute to regular newspaper reading. Rather, it should be used as a supplement for revision purpose.
National News Current Affairs Update (22 August to 28 August 2016)
The important weekly current affairs update have been listed below along with the other relevant and significant information regarding them. This will help in revision of all relevant current event happenings of the week starting from 22 August to 28 August 2016.
- Nalanda University, one of the India’s oldest institutes, conducted its first convocation in nearly 800 years. President Pranab Mukherjee laid the foundation stone of the permanent campus of the university in Bihar’s Rajgir and awarded two gold medals and 12 Post Graduate degrees to the students.
About ancient Nalanda:
- It has got inscribed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO as ‘Excavated Remains of Nalanda Mahavihara’ in 2016.
- Nalanda Mahavihara was founded by Kumargupta I of the Gupta dynasty in 5th century CE.
- Patronized later by King Harshavardhana of Kannauj (7th century CE) and the Pala rulers (8th – 12th century CE) as well as various scholars.
- Later, number of factors spread over centuries caused the decline of this famed institution.
- About six centuries after Nalanda’s decline, the site was first discovered and reported by Sir Francis Buchanan.
- The Union Human Resource Ministry has formally launched Indian Institute of Techonogy (IIT) Dharwad in Karnataka.
- Maharashtra Government has unveiled ambitious Mumbai-Nagpur Super Communication Expressway project in Mumbai. The 46,000-crore rupee ambitious project will create state-of-the art road connectivity within a period of three years and give a fillip to investment in the state.
- Bombay High Court has ruled that the ban on entry of women inside Haji Ali Dargah violates their fundamental right to practice any religion. Rebuking the Dargah Trust, the court has said it has no right to discriminate entry of women into a public place of worship under the guise of ‘managing the affairs of religion‘.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully tested its Scramjet (Supersonic Combusting Ramjet) engine from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota.
It is known as the air-breathing engine, it would be used only during the atmospheric phase of the rocket’s flight and will help bring down the launching cost by reducing the amount of oxidiser required along with fuel.
Why are scramjets important? ISRO currently uses rocket launch vehicles like the PSLV to deliver satellites into orbit.
- PSLVs are expendable, can only be used once, and are designed to carry both fuel and oxidizer with for launch. While, Scramjets use ambient air to burn fuel, thus saving the need to carry an oxidizer – thus increasing the payload of a craft.
- ISRO’s reusable launch vehicle platform, called Avatar, is a concept that is capable of carrying out satellite launches – takes off vertically and lands back on a runway. The spacecraft is designed to use ramjets and scramjets for thrust.
- Each of these engines will be used in different stages of the flight – with ramjet used at lower speeds, scramjet at hypersonic speeds and cryogenic engines when the craft reaches the edge of the atmosphere.
- Using Avatar for satellite launches will cut down launch costs by half. Since there are no rotating parts in a scramjet, the chances of failure are also measurably reduced.
- The first Children Court of South India was launched at the Nampally Criminal Courts Complex in Hyderabad, Telangana to fast disposal of cases related to children. This court is the 6th child-friendly court in the country.
- With this, Telangana has become the third state to have a child friendly court after Goa and Delhi.
- The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development has launched Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses (POCSO) e-box, in New Delhi.
- The Union Cabinet approved a revised Double Tax Avoidance Agreement (DTAA)and the
Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income between India and Cyprus.
- The revised DTAA provides for source-based taxation of capital gains on transfer of shares instead of one based on residence.
- Thus, it is considered as a major step in the fight against tax evasion, round tripping and base erosion/profit shifting.
- It also allows India to have the right to tax capital gains arising in India.
- The Cabinet has approved the Surrogacy Regulation Bill, 2016. The main aim of this bill is to ban commercial surrogacy but permitting “altruistic” surrogacy under strict rules.
- According to the draft law, only legally wedded heterosexual couples, who are not only citizens of India but are residents of India, can have a child through surrogacy.
- The government today launched Accessible E-Library ‘Sugamya Pustakalaya‘ for Divyang under Prime Minister’s Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan.
- Sugamya Pustakalaya is an online library for Divyang and houses publications across diverse subjects and languages and multiple accessible formats.
- Books are available for people with visual impairment and other print disabilities.
- Odisha Cabinet has approved the Odisha Startup Policy 2016 to promote entrepreneurship for start-up ventures with provision of govt incentives.
- This policy will chart out a roadmap to place Odisha among the top three investment destinations in the country by 2020.
- It will constitute a 25cr rupees Startup Capital Infrastructure Fund to provide monthly assistance to young entrepreneurs
- National Career Service (NCS) has signed a Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) with strategic partners for enhancing quality and reach of employment services through the NCS network.
- These MoUs were signed with job portals companies Indeed, First Job, Freshersworld, Merajob and HT Shine etc. to enhance quality and reach of its employment generation services.
- Banwarilal Purohit has been sworn in as Governor of Assam. Purohit is going to replace Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya, Governor of Nagaland who was Governor in-charge of Assam.
- Maharashtra has become the first state in the country to draft its own internal security legislation the Maharashtra Protection of Internal Security Act (MPISA), 2016. It gives special emphasis on maintaining law and order and combating terrorism, insurgency, caste-related violence and communalism in the state.
- In a major administrative revamp, the two-year-old Telangana government has issued draft notification on rearranging district borders to create 17 new districts. After the completion of the process, the number of districts in the State will go up to 27 from the present 10.
- The Chhattisgarh Assembly has unanimously ratified the Goods and Service Tax (GST) constitution amendment bill becoming the fifth state to pass the bill.
- Andhra Pradesh became the first state in the country to launch DNA Index System (DIS) for DNA profiling of criminals.
- The system uses the latest DNA technology tool (also known as RapidHIT DNA System) developed by IntegenX of United States.
- Dr. Najma Heptulla was sworn-in as the 18th Governor of Manipur. She replaces Shanmuganathan who was holding the dual charge of Governor of Meghalaya and Manipur.
- Mr. VP Singh Badnore took oath as the new Governor of Punjab and also as Administrator of Chandigarh.
- Vistara, the joint venture between Tata Sons Ltd and Singapore Airlines, has announced Deepika Padukone as its Brand Ambassador.
International News Current Affairs Update – (22 to 28 August 2016)
By reading the following Weekly Current Affairs 2016, you can know the highlights of the week starting from 22 Augustto 28 August in brief. All the major world news updates have been covered here which occurred over this week. International Relations (IR) Current Affairs form an important part of General Awareness and GS.
- The Tunisian Parliament voted to approve the new government led by Prime Minister-designate Youssef Chahed, who backs the implementation of an austerity programme.
- Note that: 40-year-old Chahed is Tunisia’s youngest Prime Minister since the country became independent in 1956.
- The United States is going to create world’s largest protected marine reserve area named as Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument off the Hawaiian coast. It will be created by expansion of present national monument off Hawaii.
- India has been ranked 77th on the World Risk Index 2016. This list was topped by Island state of Vanuatu.
- The 6th Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD) has begun in Kenyan capital Nairobi. African heads of State and VIPs from around the world participated in the two-day summit.
- Japan Government, along with the World Bank, the United Nations and the African Union, hosted the summit.
- Note that: For the first time since its inception in 1993, the summit is being held in Africa.
- The world’s first self-driving taxi service has been launched in Singapore. This launch is significant as it offer technology demonstration that could revolutionize the future transport industry. This service was launched by Singapore based nuTonomy, an autonomous vehicle software startup.
- The Union Cabinet has given its approval for signing of new Air Services Agreement (ASA) between India and Fiji. The Agreement is update of the existing ASA which was signed in January, 1974.
- The Union Cabinet has been apprised of the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and South Africa to establish cooperation in Grassroots Innovation. The MoU was signed for cooperation in Science & Technology in July, 2016 at Pretoria, South Africa.
- The 2 day SAARC Finance Ministers’ Conference began at Islamabad. The main aim of this conference is to discuss cooperation in different sectors of economy.
- The meeting is also expected to discuss the South Asia-Free Trade Agreement(SAFTA) and devise a mechanism for promotion of regional trade.
- India has figured among the top 10 wealthiest countries in the world with a total individual wealth of $5,600 billion while the United States topped the chart. According to a report by New World Wealth, India was ranked 7th, ahead of Canada ($4,700 billion), Australia ($4,500 billion) and Italy ($4,400 billion), which came in at 8th, 9th and 10th slots, respectively.
- China has launched its first Tibetan-language search engine ‘Yongzin‘. The search engine will serve as a unified portal for all major Tibetan-language websites in China.
- United States has announced 138 million dollar new aid to South Sudan. US Secretary of State John Kerry said that the aid is meant for food, water, and medicine for those in need.
- Actor Kamal Haasan will be awarded the Chevalier de L’Ordre Arts etLettres (The Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters) by the French government. This is part of France’s premier award, the Legion of Honor.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Ashraf Ghani have jointly inaugurated the renovated Stor Palace in Kabul through video conferencing.
- About Stor Palace: or ‘Kasre-estar’, is a sign of the rich heritage of Afghanistan. It is a stately building which had been damaged in the civil war. The Stor Palace was built during the reign of Amir Abdul Rahman Khan in 1880. The building is expected to regain its stature with the restoration process now completed.
Economics News August Current Affairs (22nd to 28th August 2016)
Important news and events in the economic world that happened over the whole week including the Sunday news has been listed here for quick revision.
- The Union Finance Ministry has constituted 11 members high-level committee to suggest steps to promote card payments with an aim to discourage cash transactions. The committee will be headed by : Ratan P Watal (Principle Adviser for social sector in NITI Aayog and former Finance Secretary).
- Automobile manufacturer Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd (M&M) has introduced DiGiSENSE, a cloud based technology solution to track vehicle information in real time. With this, Mahindra has become the first OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) in India to integrate its line-up onto a cloud-based technology platform.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has asked banks to provide loans up to Rs 3 lakh at 7 per cent interest rate to Women Self-Help Groups (SHG). This will be provided under the National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM)-Aajeevika scheme.
- Maharashtra and Telangana states have signed agreement for three irrigation projects to be constructed on Godavari, Pranahita and Painganga rivers.
Sports News Current Affairs Update – (22 to 28 August 2016)
Important happenings in the field of sports have been given below. Since candidates don’t focus on sports news over the week, below you will find all the exam worthy details. We hope this weekly sports update is sufficient for your perusal.
- Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg (Germany) has won the 2016 Belgian Grand Prix of Formula One.
- It was Rosberg’s overall tenth championship title of F1 in his career and the sixth win in the 2016 season.
- Indian tennis player Sania Mirza along with her Romanian partner Monica Niculescu, has won her 7th title of the year.
- The National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) has constituted five-member review committee to probe the Indian shooters’ Rio Games debacle. The committee will be headed by : Abhinav Bindra (India’s first and only individual Olympic gold-medallist).
- The 31th Summer Olympics (2016 Rio Olympics) hosted by Brazilian City, Rio de Janeiro have ended after 16 days of sporting spectacle.
- Padma Vibhushan awardee, Akhlaq Ur Rahman Kidwai, who served as Governor of States, including Bihar, West Bengal and Haryana, passed away at age of 96 years.
- The Indian-origin former Singapore President S.R. Nathan has passed away. He was the sixth and longest-serving President of Singapore.
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We promise never to Spam or Share your personal information with anyone.