Today’s daily news for download covering national, international, sports and economics current affairs. Important news has been decoded for better understanding.
Today’s National News Current Affairs – 23 December 2016
Here are all important happening and developments in the National sphere.
☀ Ahead of the upcoming Assembly elections, the Uttar Pradesh government has approved a proposal to include 17 Other Backward Classes (OBCs) in the Scheduled Class(SC) list. It was one of the main commitments of the SP government in 2012 when it came to the power.
- These 17 sub-castes to be included in the SC category are – Kahar, Kashyap, Kewat, Nishad, Bind, Bhar, Prajapati, Rajbhar, Batham, Gaur, Tura, Majhi, Mallah, Kumhar, Dheemar and Machua.
- Ladst week, the Central Government had included 15 new castes in the central list of OBCs.
- The new inclusions in the central list included Gadheri/Itafarosh from Bihar and Jhora from Jharkhand, among others.
What now for UP government?
The state government has to move another resolution to send this proposal to the Centre for further consideration as the final power for the category change is vested with the Union Government (provided it does not turn out to be unconstitutional and void.)
History of SP government in UP:
In 2005 also, the SP government had amended the UP Public Services Act, 1994, to include as many as 17 castes in the OBCs to the SC category.
But since the power to declare any caste as ‘Scheduled’ rests with the Centre, the then UP government’s decision, which was taken without the consent of the Union government, proved futile.
The Allahabad High Court had later quashed the decision declaring the move unconstitutional and void.
☀ Senior IAS officer Girija Vaidyanathan has been appointed as the new Tamil Nadu Chief Secretary. She is replacing P Rama Mohana Rao whose properties have been raided by Income Tax officials.
☀ National Mathematics Day has been celebrated on 22nd December. Nation also commemorated 130th birthday of great Indian Mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan, who is known for his extraordinary contributions to mathematical analysis, number theory, infinite series, and continued fractions. S Ramanujan compiled more than 3900 mathematical results and equations.
- Note that: On his 125th birth anniversary in 2011, Indian government declared the birthday of Ramanujan, 22 December, as ‘National Mathematics Day‘.
- The year 2012 was celebrated as the National Mathematics Year.
☀ Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu has launched ‘Google Toilet Locator‘ mobile application as part of the ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan‘ to help people locate the nearest toilet on their smartphones. For now, the toilet locator will have details on location of all toilets in Delhi-NCR and Madhya Pradesh, to be followed by other satates soon.
☀ Aizawl (Mizoram) has became the first free Wi-Fi city in the North-East region, which is a pilot project of the Aizawl Municipal Corporation.
☀ The Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) has become the first force to induct yaks for strategically important logistic support duties. The animal is being used along the Indo-China border in Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh. Yaks, referred as the ‘ships of the cold deserts‘, are employed by the ITBP Veterinary Wing which works in the two states.
☀ Kerala government will not conduct separate entrance examinations for medical and other professional courses except for engineering courses now. This decision will be implemented from the next academic year. The admissions to the courses now will be done according to the rank list of National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET), conducted by CBSE.
☀ Actor Hrithik Roshan has launched a children’s book series ‘Tactabet‘, written in Braille format, being published for visually impaired people. It will be available in both Hindi and English.
Important International Current Updates – 23 December 2016
The following international news has important daily current affairs which you must know as an aspirant for exams conducted by UPSC and State PSCs.
☀ Japan’s space agency has successfully launched a 26-metre-long rocket named Epsilon-2, which has put a satellite in orbit that helps study radiation belts. Epsilon-2 is part of a new generation of solid propellant rockets which can reduce launch costs up to 1/3rd.
☀ China has banned internet users from posting user-generated audio or video, which is one of the few sources of information outside state-controlled media.
- Note that: China already has one of the strictest censorship worldwide, ranking only behind countries like North Korea and Syria.
☀ Saudi Arabia cabinet has projected a Budget 2017 deficit of about 53 billion US Dollar. This year’s deficit will be 79 billion US Dollar, which is down 8.9 % from the 2016’s budget forecast.
- The world’s biggest oil exporter froze major building projects, cut Cabinet ministers’ salaries and imposed a wage freeze on civil servants in the wake of last year’s record deficit.
- Note that: Oil prices, which were earlier above 100 US dollar a barrel in 2014, sank below 40 dollar in 2016. Prices have recovered towards the end of this year and are now trading below 55 dollar.
☀ The French postal service has announced a Drone Delivery program to deliver parcels on a 14-kilometre route once a week. Thus, becoming the world’s first national postal service to use drones regularly.
- The drones have a top speed of 30.5 kmph. They also have parachutes for safe emergency landing. Drones will help reach mountainous regions.
Daily Economics Current Affairs – 23 December 2016
The following economics current news update will also help in developing a better understanding of Economy and increasing your financial awareness.
☀ In a bid to encourage cashless transactions in the country, the Union Cabinet has approved a draft ordinance to allow digital payment of salaries. This will allow businesses and industrial establishments to pay salaries through direct bank transfers or by cheques instead of cash payments.
☀ The Income Tax Department has identified an additional 67.54 lakh potential non-filers who have carried out high value transactions in 2014-15 but did not file return of income for the assessment year 2015-16.
- After the IT Department conducted the fifth cycle of data matching, they were identified.
- The Non-Filers Monitoring System (NMS) was initiated by CBDT for identification of non-filers with potential tax liabilities.
☀ Actress Priyanka Chopra has become the first Indian to be appointed as the global ambassador for the hair care global brand ‘Pantene‘.
☀ State-run telecom firm BSNL has partnered with Jaipur-based DataMail for providing free email addresses to its broadband users in eight Indian languages including Hindi, Gujarati and Urdu.
☀ E-commerce platform Snapdeal has started a new service called ‘[email protected]’ where it is going to deliver cash up to ₹2,000 to customers’ home at a one rupee convenience fee.
- Snapdeal personnel will carry as PoS machine to customer’s address, where ATM cards can be swiped for hard cash up to ₹2,000. Presently, this service is live only in Gurugram and Bengaluru.
23 December 2016 – Important Sports Current Affairs
The following important current affairs about sports news are relevant from exam point of view.
☀ Five-time world champion and Indian Olympic bronze medalist MC Mary Kom has been given the AIBA Legends award by the International Boxing Federation (AIBA) at the body’s 70th anniversary held in Montreux, Switzerland.
- Asian Games’ bronze medalist Vikas Krishan Yadav was also awarded the AIBA Pro Boxing Best Boxer trophy.
☀ The most decorated Olympian, Michael Phelps, has confirmed his retirement.
☀ ICC Awards 2016: Indian all-rounder Ravichandran Ashwin has been named the ICC Cricketer of the Year and Test Cricketer of the Year during the year-end ICC awards. He is also the only Indian in the ICC Test team of the year.
- South Africa’s Marais Erasmus has been named the ICC Umpire of the Year and winner of the David Shepherd Trophy.
- South African wicketkeeper-batsman Quinton de Kock has been named the ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year.
- Pakistan captain Misbah-Ul-Haq became the first Pakistani player to win the ICC Spirit of Cricket Award.
☀ Real Madrid forward, Cristiano Ronaldo has beaten Barcelona’s Lionel Messi to FIFA 2016 Best Player of the Year award. Ronaldo has claimed his fourth Ballon d’Or award earlier this month.
☀ Former South African batsman Alviro Petersen has been banned from cricket for two years until November 12, 2018, after he has admitted sitting in meetings where plans were made to fix matches in the domestic Twenty20 competition.
We hope this compilation was useful for going through today’s important news. Please share your comments with us. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We promise never to Spam or Share your personal information with anyone.