Daily Current Affairs 2016 are listed here in a sincere attempt to cover all important topics for staying updated from today’s current affairs 2016.
24 May 2016- National News Daily Current Affairs Updates
Daily current affairs are being published by ExamPariksha.com covering relevant fact based daily important news. To include all important happening and developments in the National sphere in this section.
☀ According to a recent study by Centre for Science and Environment (CSE), bread samples of virtually all top brands in Delhi contain cancer-causing chemicals. Nearly 84 percent of 38 commonly available pre-packaged breads of pav and buns, and brands like KFC, Pizza Hut, Domino’s, Subway and Mc-Donalds are among the breads tested positive for hazardous potassium bromate and potassium iodate. The Union health ministry has ordered an investigation.
- Potassium bromate is a food additive that can help bread dough hold together, but some studies have linked it with cancer in animals.
- Potassium bromate and potassium iodate are banned in many countries.
☀ The gifts from visiting Indiana Prime Minister Modi to the Iranian leadership – Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei and the Iranian President Dr Hassan Rouhani, hold our ancient cultural ties in focus. These are:
- A reproduction of a rare 7th-century manuscript of the Holy Quran attributed to Hazrat Ali, the fourth caliph. It is written in Kufic script.
- Reproductions of Mirza Ghalib’s collection of poetry in Persian – (Kulliyat-e-Farsi-e-Ghalib)
- Sumair Chand’s Persian translation of Ramayana. India’s religious epic Ramayana has over a dozen translations in Persian and is known to have about 250 words of Persian.
☀ The Indian Navy has commissioned the highly maneuverable Fast Attack Craft – INS Tarmugli at Visakhapatnam. It is named after a picturesque island in the Andaman group.
- It would be deployed for coastal patrol and surveillance operations along the East Coast of India.
- INS Tarmugli is the first Follow-on Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC).
- It has been conceived, designed and built indigenously under ‘Make in India’ initiative and boosts indigenisation efforts in the field of warship design and construction.
- INS Tarmugli can achieve speeds in excess of 30 knots.
- The ship can operate in shallow waters at high speeds and is equipped with enhanced fire power.
☀ Minister of Railways, Suresh Prabhu has unveiled the expansion of VIKALP Scheme of Alternate Train Reservation to Delhi-Howrah, Delhi- Chennai, Delhi-Mumbai and Delhi-Secunderabad Circuits.
- Alternate Train Accommodation Scheme (ATAS) is introduced by Indian Railways.
- In this scheme, waiting list passenger bookings will be transferred to special trains/popular/non popular trains depending on availability in these trains.
☀ Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar has said the use of genetically modified (GM) technology for seeds is important for improving agricultural productivity and food security. He said 18 field trials are under way, testing various kinds of GM seeds. The Environment Ministry had also constituted a Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee comprising biotechnologists, ecologists and sociologists to take up issues related to GM mustard.
International News Important Current Affairs Updates – 24 May 2016
The following exampariksha listing of international news has important daily current affairs which you must know as an aspirant for exams conducted by UPSC, SSC CGL 2016 and State PSCs.
☀ The Noida based, 22 year old Arjun Vajpai has become one of the youngest to climb the 5th highest peak Mt. Makalu in Nepal.
☀ India and Iran have inked a dozen agreements during Prime minister Modi’s state visit to Iran. The most importatnt ones are – contract to develop the strategic Chahabar port ; pact to set up an aluminium plant ; laying a railway line to give India connectivity to Afghanistan and Central Asia.
- About Chabahar: India, Afghanistan and Iran signed the trilateral trade treaty for developing th
e Chabahar port.
- The strategic location of the port will allow India to access Central Asia through Afghanistan, skipping Pakistan, and the Persian Gulf as it is the only Iranian port with access to the Indian Ocean.
☀ The world’s largest cruise ship ‘Harmony of the Seas’ has set sail from England’s Southampton on its maiden voyage to Rotterdam, Netherlands. It is 362-metre long cruise, which is 50 metres longer than the Eiffel Tower.
☀ Britain has granted refugee status to Maldives’ former president Mohamed Nasheed. He was earlier jailed in 2015 on terrorism charges after a trial that drew international criticism. He was the first democratically elected president of the Maldives. Nasheed was later allowed to travel to Britain to seek medical treatment in a deal brokered collectively by India, Sri Lanka and Britain.
☀ The Indian government has imposed a complete ban on Indian citizens travelling to Libya “irrespective of the purpose” in view of the deteriorating security situation in the North African country.
Economics News Daily Current Affairs Updates – 24 May 2016
The following economics current news update has all important economy news for exams. These will also help in developing a better understanding of Economy. We hope this collection on exampariksha.com helps you in increasing your financial awareness.
☀ According to a Crisil report, remittances from the Gulf nations to India have declined for the first time in 6 years due to sliding oil prices.
- The remittances have fallen by 2.2% in 2015-16.
- This has also resulted in a contraction of oil imports.
- What are remittances? Money sent home by migrants employed outside the country to family, friends or relatives in India.
- Note that: More than half of India’s remittance income comes from the GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council).
- But, India’s dependence on remittances and the resultant vulnerability is much lower than some other Asian peers who receive similar proportions of remittances from Gulf.
- Remittances make up 3.7% of India’s GDP, compared with 28% cent in Nepal, 9.7% in Sri Lanka, and 6.5% in Pakistan.
☀ The National Aluminium Company Limited, NALCO has signed a MoU with Iranian Mines and Mining Industries Development and Renovation Organization to explore the possibility of setting up a smelter on joint venture in Iran. For the proposed smelter plant in Chabahar Free Trade Zone, NALCO would supply alumina from its refinery in India.
☀ India Post’s payments bank will start functioning from March 2017 and will serve as a wider platform to implement financial inclusion programmes.
- The proposed India Post payments bank will also be able to sell third party product and services.
- Note : About 50 companies, including some from abroad, are keen to partner with postal department for the payments bank. These are World Bank, Citi from America, Barclay’s from England, etc.
☀ The Union Shipping Ministry has relaxed licence fees for India-controlled ships. Now, domestic shipping firms will have to pay only a one-time licence fee of Rs.20,000 to own foreign flag vessels, in a bid to give a boost to the maritime sector. This move would boost the Indian Controlled Tonnage Scheme and be a step towards promoting ‘ease of doing business’ in the maritime sector. Previously, although the licence fee was small, the process of submitting the fees was very long.
24 May 2016 – Todays Current Affairs Updates Sports News
The following important todays current affairs about sports news are relevant from exam point of view.
☀ BCCI has announced the teams for the full test tour of West Indies and for ODI & T20I series in Zimbabwe.
- Squad for test tour to West Indies: Virat Kohli (c), Ajinkya Rahane (v-c), Murali Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan, K L Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Rohit Sharma, Wriddhimaan Saha, R Ashwin, Amit Mishra, Ravindra Jadeja, Ishant Sharma, Mohammed Shami, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Shardul Thakur, Stuart Binny.
- Squad for Zimbabwe: M S Dhoni (c), K L Rahul, Maneesh Pandey, Karun Nair, Ambati Rayudu, Rishi Dhawan, Axar Patel, Jayant Yadav, Dhawal Kulkarni, Jaspreet Bumrah, Barinder Sran, Mandeep Singh, Jaidev Unadkat, Yuzvendra Chahal.
☀ Veteran CPI(M) leader and former MLA, K Anirudhan has passed away at age of 92 years. A trade union leader, Anirudhan was elected to the Kerala Assembly 4 times and had defeated former CM R Shankar in the 1967 Lok Sabha polls.
P.S. Usually examiners ask GA or current day to day GK questions in personal interviews and exams focusing on recent events to check how informed you are. We hope this compilation was useful for going through today’s important current events. Please share your comments with us. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.