Today’s daily news for download covering national, international, sports and economics current affairs. Important news has been decoded for better understanding from PIB, Indian Express, The Hindu among others.
Today’s National News Current Affairs – 28 January 2017
☀ Authorities in Jammu and Kashmir have issued a high danger avalanche warning for the hilly areas of Kashmir valley for the next 24 hours. This warning has been issued for avalanche-prone slopes of Kupwara, Bandipora, Baramulla, Ganderbal, Kulgam and Budgam and Kargil district of Kashmir division.
☀ Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully ground tested the Cryogenic Upper Stage engine meant for the rocket GSLV-Mark-III.
- The indegenously developed engine, designated as C25, was tested for a duration of 50 seconds in its Propulsion Complex at Mahendragiri in southern Tamil Nadu, demonstrating all the stage operations.
- This 50 second test is a significant milestone in development of indigenous cryogenic propulsion technology.
☀ Activists opposing the Rs 8,323 crore, Yettinahole diversion project in Karnataka have threatened to go on an indefinite hunger strike from February 11 if the State government doesn’t decide to stop the project during the upcoming legislature session.
- What is Yettinahole? It is a tributary of River Netravathi in Karnataka.
- What is Yettinahole project? The Yettinahole project will pump about 24 tmc ft water from Yettinahole. The project envisages diverting the water to drought prone Chikkaballapur, Kolur, Tumkur and Bangalore rural districts. It involves construction of dams and reservoir, pumping of water, flowing of water with gravitational force and finally filling of lakes.
- Why the protest? The Yettinahole Project is opposed by environmental groups, who argue that the diversion of river basins from their natural course to opposite direction is fundamentally unscientific and would disturb the very pattern of landscape ecology significantly. This will result in problems like uneven percolation pattern, seepage problems, opening up of ground water sources in higher altitudes etc.
☀ Prime Minister Narendra Modi has paid tributes to great educationist and freedom fighter Lala Lajpat Rai on his birth anniversary. In a tweet, Modi said, Lala Lajpat Rai was respected for his fearlessness, impeccable integrity and fight against injustice.
☀ Assam Government has agreed to a proposal for setting up of a Consulate General Office of Royal Government of Bhutan in Guwahati. The Assam and Bhutan governments have also decided to share intelligence inputs with each other to put a tab on terrorist activities.
☀ President Pranab Mukherjee has accepted the resignation of Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh Governor V. Shanmuganathan.
- Now the additional charge of Meghalaya is given to Assam Governor Banwarilal Purohit and Arunachal Pradesh to Nagaland Governor Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya.
- Note that: V. Shanmuganathan had submitted his resignation to the President following allegations of sexual harassment.
Important International Current Updates – 28 January 2017
☀ American foreign policy magazine has named India 6th among its list of eight great powers for the year 2017. India is ranked behind China and Japan (who are at tie for being on the second spot). The list is obviously topped by the USA. Russia occupies 4th and Germany at 5th, are the other two countries ahead of India. Iran is ranked seventh and Israel is on the eighth spot.
☀ India and France have signed White Shipping agreement. This agreement will information sharing on maritime traffic and maritime domain awareness in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
☀ India has signed a deal with the United Arab Emirates that allows the Gulf OPEC country to fill half of an underground crude oil storage facility at Mangalore, Karnataka.
- The deal is part of India’s strategic petroleum reserve system, which is an emergency underground storage of 36.87 million barrels of crude oil which can supply about 10 days of the country’s average daily oil demand.
- UAE’s Abu Dhabi National Oil Co (ADNOC) will store about 6 million barrels of oil at Mangalore, taking up about half of the site’s capacity.
- Note that: Strategic petroleum reserves have become indispensable to safeguard the economy and to help maintain national security in the event of an energy crisis.
☀ The UN Security Council has extended an arms embargo on the Central African Republic and a travel ban and asset freeze on blacklisted individuals for another year. This resolution was adopted unanimously by the UNSC while also adding a new provision making sexual violence a criterion for sanctions.
☀ Japan has successfully launched its first military communications satellite that is designed to upgrade its network in the face of China’s increasingly assertive maritime activity and North Korea’s missile threat. The Kirameki-2 satellite was launched on board H-2A rocket. The satellites are for Japanese troops operating overseas as part of international peacekeeping operations, including those in South Sudan and off the Somali coast.
☀ Facebook has announced that it will let users secure their accounts using a physical USB key. Facebook claims this USB key will act as a more reliable alternative to the two-factor authentication codes received via SMS.
Daily Economics Current Affairs – 28 January 2017
☀ The International Monetary Fund said that Greece’s government debt remains highly unsustainable and will be “explosive” in the long run.
☀ The Centre has reiterated that the General Anti Avoidance Rules (GAAR)– aimed at curbing tax avoidance – will come into force on April 1, ignoring industry’s suggestion to defer the rules on account of uncertainty over their applicability and to provide adequate time to prepare for the new regime.
28 January 2017 – Important Sports Current Affairs
☀ Sania Mirza and her Croatian mixed doubles partner Ivan Dodig have moved to the final of the Australian Open 2017 after knocking out the Aussie pair of Sam Stosur and Sam Groth. Note that: This will be Sania’s fourth mixed doubles final at the Australian Open after having won the trophy in 2009 and finished runner-up in 2008 and 2014.
☀ European football’s governing body UEFA has announced a new international tournament, the UEFA Nations League, which will see participation from 55 nations in a league-style format. These teams will play in four leagues based on their UEFA rankings.
We hope this compilation was useful for going through today’s important news. Please share your comments with us. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.