Today’s daily news for download covering national, international, sports and economics current affairs. Important news has been decoded for better understanding.
Today’s National News Current Affairs – 31 December 2016
Here are all important happening and developments in the National sphere.
☀ The Samajwadi Party (SP) plunged into chaos after its chief Mulayam Singh Yadav dramatically expelled his son and chief minister Akhilesh Yadav from the party for six years.
☀ The Defence Ministry appointed Navy Chief Sunil Lamba as the Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff committee (COSC). Note that: The COSC post is given to the senior-most of the service chiefs.
☀ On the day that the deadline for depositing demonetized notes in bank accounts expired, President Pranab Mukherjee approved an ordinance allowing more time for non-resident Indians to deposit their old notes and imposing stiff fines on residents holding or trading in demonetized currency.
- Non-resident Indians (NRIs) can deposit such notes, up to a maximum of Rs25,000, till 30 June.
- The same limit will apply to resident Indians who were abroad between 8 November and 30 December, but they will have to turn in the old notes by 31 March at designated offices of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
☀ In Jharkhand, 12 dead bodies have been recovered from the collapsed coal mine in Lalmatia of Godda district. Many coal miners are feared trapped in the mine which had collapsed on Thursday evening.
Important International Current Updates – 31 December 2016
The following international news has important daily current affairs which you must know as an aspirant for exams conducted by UPSC and State PSCs.
☀ Colombian lawmakers have approved an amnesty law to protect Marxist FARC rebels from prosecution for minor crimes committed during the country’s 52-year civil war.
- Note that: The law is one of the contentious parts of a peace deal signed between the government and rebel forces, and will not pardon people who have been accused of human rights violations or war crimes.
☀A newly discovered Hawaiian coral reef fish has become the 9th creature to be named after US President Barack Obama. Identified as Tosanoides obama, the fish was discovered during an expedition in Hawaii. Apart from the fish, the US President also has a spider, a lizard and a bird named after him.
☀ The Beipanjiang Bridge, highest bridge in the world at 1,854 feet, located in southwest China is now open to traffic.
- The 1,341-metre-long bridge connects the Guizhou and Yunnan mountainous provinces over a river.
☀ Israel has issued an “immediate and severe” travel warning for Western tourists in India, citing an immediate threat of attack on tourist targets during New Year celebrations.
- India is a popular tourist destination for Israeli citizens and an estimated 20,000 former Israeli soldiers travel to India every year.
☀ India and Singapore have signed the 3rd protocol for amending Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA). Arun Jaitley has said the revisiting of this treaty is important as it will help in government’s efforts to eliminate black money.
Daily Economics Current Affairs – 31 December 2016
The following economics current news update will also help in developing a better understanding of Economy and increasing your financial awareness.
☀ Reserve Bank has extended the period of enhanced Prepaid Payment Instruments (PPI) limit of Rs 20,000 as part of efforts to promote digital payments. At present, 47 non-bank entities and 45 banks are operating payment systems for PPI.
☀ Technology major Apple to start manufacturing or assembling iPhones in Bengaluru from April 2017. Manufacturing locally will make Apple products cheaper in India and help it open retail stores in the country. Products are currently sold through resellers in India.
☀ E-commerce major Amazon has launched a new platform named ‘Sell as Individual‘ that lets users sell used goods in their city on paying a fixed amount of fee. Currently being operated in Bengaluru, users need to share pictures and details of the products on Amazon’s website and the company will provide doorstep pick-up, packing, and delivery of their goods.
☀ Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched a mobile payments application called BHIM (Bharat Interface for Money), in the honour of Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar.
- It is compatible with all Android phones, the app has a maximum limit of ₹10,000 per transaction and ₹20,000 within 24 hours.
31 December 2016 – Important Sports Current Affairs
The following important current affairs about sports news are relevant from exam point of view.
☀ Meghalaya will host the 2022 National Games coinciding with its 50 years of statehood after IOA accepted Meghalaya’s bid to host the prestigious games following the successful South Asian Games.
- Note that: Meghalaya will be the third northeastern state after Manipur and Assam to host the National Games.
- Goa will host the next National Games in November 2017.
☀ Government has de-recognised the Indian Olympic Association over the issue of nominating Suresh Kalmadi and Abhay Chautala as its life presidents.
- Note that: Kalmadi was jailed in connection with the CommonWealth Games scam while Chautala is facing charges in disproportionate assets case.
We hope this compilation was useful for going through today’s important news. Please share your comments with us. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We promise never to Spam or Share your personal information with anyone.