Today’s Current Affairs from TheHindu, Indian Express, Pib covering all important happening in national, international, economics, awards and sports.
National News Daily Current Affairs pdf – 4 January 2017
☀ Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar has been sworn-in as the 44th Chief Justice of India. He replaced Justice TS Thakur whose tenure ended yesterday. Justice Khehar’s tenure will last till the 27th August this year.
☀ Rajasthan government will distribute contraceptives and vanity kits to newly-wed couples in 14 districts where the Total Fertility Rate (TFR) is high.
- The family planning kit would be distributed under the upcoming Mission Parivar Vikas to reduce TFR.
- These kits will contain condoms, oral contraceptives, pregnancy testing kits and a vanity pouch with things like nail cutter, towels and bindis. Also contain IEC – information, education and communication – material on delaying birth of first child and spacing other children, and on how to use pregnancy testing kit and whom to approach when pregnancy is confirmed.
The 14 districts in Rajasthan where the programme will be implemented are :
- Barmer and Dholpur (TFR 4 or more),
- Banswara, Karauli, Jalore, Sawai Madhopur, Udaipur and Jalore (TFR between 3.5 to 3.9)
- Dungarpur, Rajsamand, Jaisalmer, Pali, Sirohi, Baran and Bharatpur (TFR between 3 to 3.5).
Note: India’s TFR is 2.3
Total fertility rate is the average number of children expected to be born per woman during her entire span of reproductive period. The government aims to keep it at 2.1 in these 14 districts where TFR is 3 or more.
☀ In order to encourage competition to improve sanitation standards, the government will start Swachh Survekshan 2017, from today to rank 500 cities across the country on cleanliness.
- The survey will be conducted by Quality Council of India (QCI).
- Judgement will be based on data provided by Municipal bodies, data collected through direct observations and independent assessment and citizen feedbacks.
- Areas of evaluations : waste collection, sweeping and transportation, Open defecation free and toilets, Municipal Solid Waste-processing and disposal, Information, education and behavior change, and Capacity building
- Citizen Feedback: Give feedback by giving a missed call on 1969 to record your response or by filling up a feedback form on the Swachh Survekshan website.
☀ Government has announced Safety Audit for all 418 mines in the country in the wake of the open cast coal mine disaster in Jharkhand’s Godda district last week, in which at least 18 people were killed. The audit will be carried out by DG Mining Safety on a priority basis based on the size of the mines.
☀ The 14th annual “Pravasi Bharatiya Divas”, overseas Indians’ gathering, will be held in Bengaluru from January 7-9. This will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Note that: The convention has traditionally been held on January 9 to commemorate the return of Mahatma Gandhi as ‘Pravasi’ from South Africa to India.
☀ India has ranked 3rd among the countries offering the highest average annual salary to expatriates, according to the HSBC Holdings data. Switzerland has topped the list.
- Note that: An Expatriate is a person temporarily or permanently residing, as an immigrant, in a country other than that of their citizenship.
☀ The ongoing All India Police Equestrian Championship and Mounted Police Duty Meet has been named after the deceased police horse Shaktiman. Note that: Shaktiman became a talking point when attack by BJP MLA Ganesh Joshi in Dehradun led to injuries and caused death a few weeks later.
☀ The Cabinet Committee on Parliamentary Affairs has recommended Union Budget presentation in Parliament on February 1, to the President. Economic Survey will be tabled on January 31, the same day President Pranab Mukherjee will addresses the joint Houses of Parliament.
- The first part of the Budget session will run from January 31 to February 9.
- The Union Cabinet had earlier decided to merge Railway budget with the Union Budget.
International Important Current Affairs PDF – 4 January 2017
☀ Finland has become the first country in Europe to pay unemployed citizens a basic monthly income of €560 (around ₹40,000) on trial basis, in a move to reduce poverty and boost employment.
☀ Turkish Parliament has approved a government-backed motion to extend by another three months the state of emergency imposed in the wake of the July 2016’s failed coup against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
☀ The Chinese navy confirmed that its sole aircraft carrier Liaoning has conducted military drills and helicopter exercises in “complex sea conditions” in the South China Sea. This comes days after Taiwan claimed the carrier had passed south of the island.
☀ US President-elect Donald Trump named Robert Lighthizer, an official in the Reagan administration and harsh critic of China’s trade practices, to be his chief trade negotiator. He will be in charge of negotiating deals and engaging in trade relationships with other countries.
Economics News Today’s Current Affairs PDF – 4 January 2017
☀ Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) received approval from markets regulator SEBI (Securities and Exchange Board of India) for its Initial Public Offering (IPO). With this IPO, the stock exchange expects to raise over ₹1,200 crore on National Stock Exchange (NSE).
☀ SBI Chief Arundhati Bhattacharya has hinted that the mega merger of its five associate banks and Bharatiya Mahila Bank could be pushed to the next fiscal as it is still awaiting the government notification in this regard. Note that: After the merger of five associate banks and Bharatiya Mahila Bank, the government’s stake in the bank would stand at around 59 per cent.
☀ HDFC bank has launched a chatbot service called ‘OnChat‘ to allow users to make payments through Facebook Messenger. This chatbot will allow users to recharge their phones, pay electricity and DTH bills, and even book Uber and Ola taxis.
☀ The Reserve Bank of India has directed banks to ensure that at least 40 per cent of the supply of bank notes should reach rural areas while currency chests and ATMs in such areas should have Rs 500 and Rs 100 denomination bank notes.
☀ In order to remove dependency on banks, Paytm has added Unified Payment Interface (UPI) support to its app allowing users to transfer money to their digital wallet with their UPI id. This comes a week after SBI disabled the option to transfer money to Paytm.
- Developed by the government-backed corporation, the UPI framework for online transactions supports at least 27 banks.
4 January 2017 – Sports News Daily Current Affairs PDF
☀ In ATP Chennai Open, India’s highest-ranked Singles player, Saketh Myneni crashed out in the opening round. Saketh, is ranked 192 in the world, and lost to seventh seed and world number 57 Mikhail Youzhny of Russia.
- In another game, Yuki Bhambri advanced to the second round after beating compatriot Ramkumar Ramanathan. Yuki is now the only Indian Singles player left in the tournament.
We hope this compilation was useful for going through today’s current events of importance. Please share your comments with us. You can download the current affairs pdf by clicking on print button and saving it as a pdf. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.