This Daily Current Affair Capsule is a brief collection of important news from national dailies and government releases on PIB useful for UPSC IAS, CDS, SSC CGL, NDA, etc. It covers national, international, economic, sports news.
National Important Current Affairs – 5 March 2017
■ The Goods and Services Tax Council has approved the draft of key supporting legislations, Central GST and Integrated GST, to enable rolling out of the new indirect tax regime from the first of July 2017. It was also decided that agriculturists and small traders will be exempt from registering under the GST regime.
- The Council will take up for approval the State-GST and Union Territory-GST laws at its next meeting on the 16th march.
- The GST Council is headed by Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and comprising representatives of all states.
■ The National Safety Week is being observed from 4th March to 10th March 2017. It is celebrated in India every year by the National Safety Council to enhance the safety awareness among people. The theme of National Safety Day / Week 2017 is – “Keep Each Other Safe”.
|National Safety Council of India is a self-governing body (non profit and nongovernmental organization for public service) which was established on 4th of March in 1966 under the Societies Act in Mumbai.|
■ Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) has successfully coordinated Operation Thunder Bird from January 30 to February 19, 2017 aimed to to end poaching of India’s wildlife animals.
- Earlier it had convened Operation Save Kurma, a species-specific operation on turtles between 15 December 2016 and 30 January 2017.
■ The Delhi government has approved Rs 54.84 crore for construction of the longest skywalk in the city, to connect Tilak Marg railway station to the ITO Metro station.
International Current Affairs Capsule – 5 March 2017
■ The United States is temporarily suspending the premium processing of H-1B visas from the 3rd April. This will eliminate the option of a shorter waiting period for the programmes that helped highly skilled foreigners workers at American firms. The H-1B visas are widely used by Indian IT majors.
- Currently, companies submitting applications for H-1B visas for potential employees can pay extra for expedited processing, which is known as premium processing.
■ Somalia’s Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khaire has notified the deaths of at least 110 people due to hunger and diarrhoea in the country over the past 48 hours amid a drought in the Bay region -the southwest part of Somalia.
- Somalia had already declared the drought as a national disaster. The drought has led to a spread of acute diarrhoea, cholera and measles. Nearly 5.5 million people are at risk of contracting waterborne diseases.
Economics Today’s Current Affair Capsule – 5 March 2017
■ For the first time ever, the price of digital currency Bitcoin has surged to around $1,282. This makes it worth more than an ounce of gold (which is worth $1,227.6).
■ Vietnam has announced it will suspend the import of five agricultural products from India after several of the consignments were found to be contaminated with peanut beetle. Vietnam’s Agriculture Ministry will not issue import permits for peanuts, cassia seed, cocoa beans, haricot beans and tamarind from India.
Sports News Current Affair Capsule – 5 March 2017
■ India’s Rohan Bopanna and his Polish partner Marcin Matkowski have lost their men’s doubles final match in the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships. Bopanna and Matkowski had reached to the final after beating Leander Paes and Guillermo Garcia-Lopez.
■ Former Indian Foreign Services officer and politician Syed Shahabuddin passed away at 82 years of age. He was a former President of the All India Muslim Majlis-e Mushawarat and also served 3 terms as a Member of Parliament from 1979-1996. He was known for his articulated opposition to the demolition of the Babri Masjid.
“Current Affairs Questions for UPSC IAS Prelims”
Q1. Which nation will host the 2017 Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) summit from 7th March ?
Q2. What does Gandhian Principles of Directive Principles of state policies include ?
- To promote equal justice and to provide free legal aid to the poor
- To promote voluntary formation, autonomous functioning, democratic control and professional management of co-operative societies
- To raise the level of nutrition and the standard of living of people and to improve public health
- All of these
Q3. What is the theme of 2017 World Wildlife Day (WWD)?
- Stop wildlife crime
- Listen to the young voices
- The future of wildlife is in our hands
- Stand against wildlife crime
Answer these questions in the comments below. This is our contribution towards making students more aware of what to study and what to ignore in daily news to be in touch with the important and relevant happenings of the World. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.