Commands of Indian Army – Defence GK General Awareness Study Material & Notes
The following compilation for Defence General Knowledge will be useful for aspirants of SSB, NDA, CDS, and other such examinations. The questions about the commands of Indian Army are asked in various examination including UPSC. Since this is related to our country’s defense every Indian should have the basic knowledge about the following commands of Indian Army. Here we have compiled the number of commands of Indian Army for quick revision.
It is the land based branch of the Indian armed forces. Indian Army is one of the largest standing armies in the world.
Indian Army follows a regimental system but has been divided into 7 commands for operational and geographical reasons.
In a regimental system, the regiments are responsible for recruitment and training of the personnel. These regiments are maintained permanently and develop their unique unitary history which has its own traditions, and functions.
Here are some quick facts about Indian Army:
- The Army Day is celebrated on 15 January every year. It is the day when Field Marshall K. M. Carriapah took office as first Indian Commanding-in-Chief of the Army after Independence.
- The motto of Indian army is “One for all and all for one“.
- The commander in chief of all armed forces of the country is the President of India.
- The Defence Ministry is responsible for the administrative functions related to the Armed forces of the country.
Indian Army Commands :
There are total seven commands of Indian Army, one among them is the training command. And six are operational commands. Each of these command has direct affiliation to the New Delhi Army Headquarter.
Each of these command is headed by a Commanding- in- Chief General Officer holding the rank of Lieutenant General. The staff of these command headquarters is headed by the Chief of Staff (COS) with the rank of a Lieutenant General.
A command usually consists of two or more corps under it (A Corps consists of Army divisions).
- Northern Command – It is headquartered at Udhampur in state of Jammu & Kashmir.
- Western Command – It is headquartered at Chandimandir in Haryana.
- Southern Western Command – It is headquartered at Jaipur, the capital of Rajasthan.[box type=”shadow” align=”aligncenter” ]Many would think, based on logic that Jaipur will be the
NORTHwestern command but it is the SOUTH WESTERN Command. Do take note of this.[/box]
- Central Command – It is headquartered at Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh.(Prior to this Lucknow was the HQ of the Eastern Command, which was shifted to Kolkata after China war).
- Southern Command – It is headquartered at Pune in Maharashtra.
- Eastern Command – It is headquartered at Kolkata in West Bengal.
- Training Command (ARTRAC) – It is headquartered at Shimla in Himachal Pradesh.
The readers are expected to remember the given compilation for the revision before facing any crucial national level examination. If you want us to add any more information to this article, please feel free to mention that in the comment section below. Keep visiting the site as we update new content regularly.
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We promise never to Spam or Share your personal information with anyone.