This Daily Current Affair Capsule is a brief collection of important news from national dailies and government releases on PIB useful for UPSC IAS, CDS, SSC CGL, NDA, etc. It covers national, international, economic, sports news.
National Important Current Affairs – 1 and 2 April 2017
■ Internet Service Provider (ISP) ACT Fibernet has launched 1 Gbps (gigabits per second) wired broadband internet services in Hyderabad, making the `City of Pearls’ India’s first `Giga City’.
■ The Supreme Court has ordered State governments to consider issuing a notification under the Right to Education law, declaring children living with/affected by HIV as a ‘disadvantaged group’ deserving additional rights to help them gain free and compulsory education, which is a fundamental right under the Constitution.
- The Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (RTE) Act, 2009, represents the consequential legislation envisaged under Article 21-A. It came into effect on 1 April 2010. The Act makes education compulsory for children between six and 14 years of age.
- This order was based on a petition which pointed out that HIV-hit children face denial of admission, outright expulsion, segregation, breach of confidentiality to being given chores like cleaning toilets.
- As per NACO estimates in 2012-2013, around 20.9 lakh people were living with HIV in 2011.
■ The Union Cabinet has given its approval for signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Forum of Regulators (FOR) and the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC) in the area of large-scale Grid Integration of Renewable Energy.
- It will enhance the efforts of India’s power system for better management of large-scale integration of Renewable Energy into the power grid.
■ The Union Cabinet has approved the Agreement between Ministry of Rural Development and Centre on Integrated Rural Development for Asia and the Pacific (CIRDAP) for establishment of CIRDAP Centre at National Institute of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj (NIRD&PR), Hyderabad.
The CIRDAP is a regional Inter – Governmental and autonomous institution of Asia Pacific region and the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations with support from several other UN bodies and donors.
- India is one of the key founder members of this Organisation. The Headquarters of CIRDAP is located at Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- The objective of CIRDAP is to promote regional cooperation and act as a serving institution for its member countries for promotion of integrated rural development through research action, training, information dissemination etc.
■ The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the Fixation of Nutrient Based Subsidy (NBS) rates for Phosphatic and Potassic (P&K) fertilizers for the year 2017-18.
- Government has been implementing Nutrient Based Subsidy (NBS) Policy for decontrolled P&K fertilizers.
- Under this policy, the subsidy on Phosphatic and Potassic (P&K) fertilizers is announced by the Government on annual basis for – Nitrogen (N), Phosphorous (P), Potash (K) and Sulphur (S) on per kg basis which is converted into subsidy per tonne depending upon the nutrient content.
- These rates are determined taking into account the international and domestic prices of P&K fertilizers, exchange rate, inventory level in the country etc.
■ The supreme court has relaxed the age limit and allowed candidates above 25 years of age to appear in the NEET Exam 2017. The bench is headed by Justice Dipak Mishra has also extended the last date of filling up the application forms till 5th April. This age limit can be fixed from the next academic year. Note that: NEET 2017 exam will be held for admission to MBBS/ BDS courses in Medical Council of India and Dental Council of India.
International Current Affairs Capsule – 1 and 2 April 2017
■ El Salvador has become the first country in the world to ban metal mining. El Salvador is the most densely populated country in Latin America and, while rainfall is plentiful, holding on to the water is a major issue because of unsustainable farming practices and inadequate industrial controls that have led to widespread soil erosion and the almost total destruction of its forests.
|More than 90% of El Salvador’s surface waters are estimated to be polluted by toxic chemicals, heavy metals and waste matter. The water crisis has steadily deepened since the pro-business Arena Party granted an array of permits for mineral exploration.|
■ Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak was given the ceremonial reception at Rashtrapati Bhawan in New Delhi. This year marks the 60th anniversary of formal diplomatic relations. Note that: Malaysia’s father of Independence, Tunku Abdul Rahman, had visited India in 1962.
■ Myanmar has become the 7th member of the South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) partnership, opening up new markets and supply chain links for trade and business between South Asia and Southeast Asia.
- It was established in 2001, the SASEC program is a project-based partnership to promote regional prosperity by improving cross-border connectivity, boosting trade among member countries and strengthening regional economic cooperation.
- SASEC countries Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal and Sri Lanka coordinate the planning of projects and activities to increase economic growth by building transport connectivity, facilitating faster and more efficient trade and promoting cross border power trade.
Economics Today’s Current Affair Capsule – 1 and 2 April 2017
■ The Government has approved Rs. 2,256 crore outlay for Project Saksham to strengthen the information technology network for the new GST regime. Project Saksham is the name of CBEC’s IT Infrastructure Project to enable implementation of Goods and Services tax (GST) and also support all existing services in Customs, Central Excise and Service Tax.
Sports Today’s Current Affair Capsule – 1 and 2 April 2017
■ Olympic Silver medalist P.V. Sindhu defeated Carolina Marin in straight sets 21-19, 21-16 at the India Open Badminton Championship in New Delhi. Note that: Sindhu had lost to Marin in the Rio Olympics final.
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.