This Daily Current Affair Capsule is a brief collection of important news from national dailies and government releases on PIB useful for UPSC IAS, CDS, SSC CGL, NDA, etc. It covers national, international, economic, sports news.
National Important Current Affairs – 11 April 2017
■ The Home Minister Rajnath Singh has launched a website ‘Bharat Ke Veer‘ (www.bharatkeveer.gov.in) for facilitating monetary contribution to martyred CRPF jawans’ families. This initiative is actor Akshay Kumar’s brainchild, and it is
available both as a web portal and mobile application.
- This funds will be managed by a committee of eminent persons and officials, who would disburse it on the basis of needs.
■ To mark the 100-year anniversary of Champaran Satyagrah movement, led by Mahatma Gandhi, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated an exhibition “swachagraha” Bapu Ko Karyanjali” – A Mission, An Exhibition, at the National Archives of India, Janpath, New Delhi.
- On this occasion he also launched an `Online Interactive Quiz’ at the event, organised by the National Archives of India, which will continue for 30 months till October, 2019.
- Three old and seminal publications on Mahatma Gandhi were also relaunched by the in a “restored” format by the Minister for Information & Broadcasting, M Venkaiah Naidu.
- These 3 publication were authored by D G Tendulkar : ‘Gandhi in Champaran (1957)’ ; ‘Romain Rolland and Gandhi Correspondence (1976)’ ; ‘Eight-volume biography of Gandhi (1951)’
|About Champaran : It is a district located in western Bihar. The Champaran Satyagraha was the first time that Gandhiji successfully extended his concept of non-cooperation movement to lead the struggle. He applied the concept of satyagraha for meeting the legitimate demands of peasants and to protest against the illegal and inhuman methods of indigo cultivation without adequate remuneration.|
■ The Andhra Pradesh government will construct a 125-foot tall bronze statue of BR Ambedkar in its upcoming capital Amaravati. Nearly Rs 100 crore has reportedly been allocated by the state for the statue’s construction whose foundation stone will be laid on the birth anniversary of B R Ambedkar..
■ In a fresh submission before the Supreme Court, the Centre has sought scrapping of triple talaq and polygamy among Muslims, saying these practices are not protected by fundamental right to practice religion.
- Centre has also said that triple talaq made women socially and financially insecure.
- Union government has said that reforms in Muslim personal law have not taken place in the last 65 years and Muslim women, who constitute 8 percent of the population, have remained extremely vulnerable because of fear of instant divorce.
- The practices of triple talaq and polygamy as patriarchal notions that impeded women’s role in society.
■ The Assam government’s draft population policy has proposed that people with more than two children should be denied government jobs. The two-child norm would also be applicable for all candidates in elections conducted by the Assam state election commission. It also proposed that all girls in the state be given free education up to university level.
■ Today Google is celebrating with a doodle the 130th birth anniversary of one of the big names in twentieth century Indian art, Jamini Roy.
- In 1976, the Archaeological Society of India declared him one of “Nine Masters” to be treated as treasure.
- He was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 1955.
- The quintessential ‘Jamini Roy’ work exhibits bold colours of red, yellow ochre, blue, and white.
- His 1946 work “Ramayana”, spread across 17 canvases, is considered his magnum opus.
■ The Bengaluru Police have launched 51 ‘Pink Hoysalas’ new patrol vehicles, to address complaints related to women and child safety. The Pink Hoysalas will function based on complaints registered through the Suraksha App or intimation to the police control room. Bengaluru city police currently have 221 regular Hoysalas.
International Current Affairs Capsule – 11 April 2017
■ Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has declared a 3-month state of emergency in the country following twin church bombings that killed at least 44 and injured over 100 people on Sunday. The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for these church bombings. These bombings have come weeks ahead of Pope Francis’ two-day Egypt visit which is starting April 28.
■ Somalia’s President Mohamed Abdullahi has declared the country a ‘war zone’ and instructed the army to prepare a new offensive against the al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabaab militants. Note that: Al-Shabaab has denounced Abdullahi as an “apostate” and have warned Somalis against supporting him.
■ Saudi Arabia has announced that citizens would not pay taxes on income and Saudi companies would not be taxed on their profits under new economic reforms. A value-added tax planned for 2018 would “not be raised above 5% before 2020”.
part of the reforms.
Economics Today’s Current Affair Capsule – 11 April 2017
■ A Central Bank of India customer has won a Rs 1 crore mega prize under the government’s lucky draw scheme to popularise digital payments for making a digital transaction worth Rs 1,590. This draw has a second prize of ₹50 lakh, and third prize of ₹25 lakh. The winners’ names are not declared yet as the draw has only displayed their transaction numbers.
■ The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Patanjali Ayurved have decided to sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to market herbal products developed by the DRDO’s Life Sciences wing.
Sports News Current Affair Capsule – 11 April 2017
■ Indian team has become champions of the Women’s Hockey World League Round 2 after defeating Chile on penalties in the tournament final held in Canada. Indian goalkeeper Savita Punia was adjudged the Goalkeeper of this Tournament.
“Current Affairs Questions for UPSC IAS Prelims”
Q1. Which Indian-origin educationist has won the ‘Asian Businesswoman of Year’ award recently?
- A) Asha Khemka
- B) Sangeeta Gupta
- C) Chetali Solanki
- D) Lakshmi Devi Randhawa
Q2. In which city of India, the first NBA Basketball School has started recently?
- A) Jodhpur
- B) Patna
- C) Mumbai
- D) Ropar
Answer these questions in the comments below. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.