National News Daily Current Affairs Update – 14 January 2016
ExamPariksha publishes relevant fact based Current Affairs daily to cover all important happening and developments in the National sphere in this section. Usually examiners ask GA GK questions in personal interviews focussing on recent events to check how informed you are, is an attempt to cover all important topics for such scenarios also.
- The festival of Lohri has been celebrated with traditional fervor and gaiety.
- The Gauhati High Court has issued order staying the Bulbuli fight at Hajo in Kamrup district. This age-old Bulbuli fight is organized during Bhogali Bihu.
- The Supreme Court has asked Mysore government’s lab to further clarify whether test reports relating to presence of lead & glutamic acid in Maggi noodles are within permissible parameters under law.
- Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan has been appointed as the new brand ambassador of the “Incredible India” campaign by Trust Research Advisory (TRA). He replaces actor Aamir Khan, whose contract was not renewed.
- The union cabinet has approved the crop insurance scheme Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) in order to boost the farming sector and ensure farmers’ welfare. Note that: Under the PMFBY, farmers are required to pay a uniform premium of 2 percent for all Kharif crops and 1.5 percent for all Rabi crops while it is 5 percent for annual commercial and horticultural crops.
- Union Government has constituted a committee headed by- Arvind Panagariya (vice-chairman of the NITI Aayog) to fast track the Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail Corridor, which is meant for connecting these two cities with bullet trains. The committee is tasked to interact with the Japanese counterpart for taking further steps in implementation of Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail Corridor.
- Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan was awarded an honorary life membership of the Kolkata’s famed soccer outfit Mohammedan Sporting which is celebrating its 125th anniversary this year.
- The Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation has won the National Award on e-Governance 2015-16 for launching the Universal Account Number (UAN). This gold award is in the ‘innovative use of technology in e-governance’ category and EPFO will get a cash prize of Rs 2 lakh.
- Vice President Hamid Ansari with Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy has released a book Jawaharlal Nehru and Indian Polity in Perspective edited by former DGP P J Alexander, in Thiruvananthapuram. The focus of the book is on the role of India’s first Prime Minister, on shaping the polity of modern India.
- The Government has decided to set up a high-powered panel to process the recommendations of the 7th Pay Commission which will have bearing on the remuneration of 47 lakh central government employees and 52 lakh pensioners. This panel will be headed by – P K Sinha (Cabinet Secretary). The implementation of the new pay scales is estimated to put an additional burden of Rs 1.02 lakh crore on the exchequer in 2016-17.
- Union Minister for Fertilizers and Chemicals Ananth Kumar has announced the sanction of Greenfield petrochemical complex and National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) in Visakhapatnam(AP) and full-fledged Central Institute of Plastics Engineering & Technology which will offer B.Tech and M.Tech courses in Vijayawada(AP).
- Kerala has become the first state in the country to attain complete primary education. This has been achieved through the primary education equivalency drive of the state literacy mission —Athulyam.
- Vice president Hamid Ansari has conferred the Sree Chithira Tirunal National Award on former Ambassador and vice chairman of the Kerala Higher Education Council T.P. Sreenivasan. This award is annually bestowed on persons reckoned to have an excellent public service record.
International News Daily Current Affairs Update – 14 January 2016
Questions about International Relations (IR) are often asked in interviews, written exams conducted by various recruiters. The following international news has important daily current affairs which you must know as an aspirant for exams conducted by UPSC and State PSCs.
- The United States has notified a massive increase in fees in certain categories of the popular H-1B and L-1 visas which would mainly hit Indian IT companies. The US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) has said that applicants for certain categories of H-1B visas post December 18, 2015 must submit an additional fee of US $4,000.
- India’s External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj is set to visit Israel and Palestine on 17th and 18th January 2016 to further build on the goodwill generated by the trip of President Pranab Mukherjee to the two West Asian nations 3 months back.
- While Palestine will be Ms. Swaraj’s first destination where she will hold talks with leadership of the country, to boost bilateral engagement and deepen mutual understanding at the political level.
- She will go to Israel the same day for a two-day visit during which she will hold discussions with the Israeli leadership and review the entire gamut of India-Israel relations.
- United States and Jordan have signed a Joint Action Plan (JAP) aimed at improving efforts against nuclear and radiological smuggling. This partnership will help in enhancing the efforts to combat nuclear terrorism.
Economics News Daily Current Affairs Update – 14 January 2016
- The board of directors of US-India Business Council has appointed Edward Monser, president of Emerson, and Deloitte Global CEO Punit Renjen as Vice Chairs. Both have experience in global manufacturing, business strategy and business development.
- China has allowed the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and 5 other international financial institutions to participate in the country’s inter-bank foreign exchange market.
- Telecom major Vodafone has announced the availability of 4G SIMs for customers at multi-brand outlets in a phased manner.
Sports News Daily Current Affairs Update – 14 January 2016
- World Number one pair of Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis have equaled the world record of winning 28 consecutive matches, which was set by Puerto Rican-Belarusian duo of Gigi-Fernandez and Natasha Zvereva in 1994. They have achieved this feat after defeating Chen Liang and Shuai Peng in the Apia International quarterfinals in Sydney.
- Key architect in India’s victory in 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War, Lt Gen JFR Jacob (retd) has passes away at age of 92 years. A jew by birth, he is revered in Israel as well. Jacob is best known for his role in India’s victory in the Indo-Pakistan war of 1971 and the liberation of Bangladesh.
- Hall of Famer Monte Irvin, an outfielder who starred for the New York Giants in the 1950s, has passed away. Note that: Irvin was the oldest living former Negro Leagues player.
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.