ExamPariksha.com publishes day to day news for current affairs download. Examiners ask General Awareness and current GK questions in personal interviews and exams.
National News Daily Current Affairs Download – 16 December 2016
Here are relevant fact based daily news to cover all important happening and developments in the National sphere.
☀ NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant has announced the government plan to give daily, weekly, and mega awards worth ₹340 crore for consumers and merchants making digital payments. These awards will be under the ‘Lucky Grahak Yojana‘ and ‘Digi Dhan Vyapari Yojana‘, aimed at boosting digital payments and will run from December 25, 2016, to April 14, 2017.
☀ The Supreme Court has ordered closure of all liquor shops near all National and State highways across the country from 1st April 2017. While no new liquor vending license would be issued to such existing shops, they can continue to operate till the expiry of their licenses in March.
- The court has also said the liquor shops should be at least 500 metres from the highways.
- Also, no advertisement will be allowed for liquor shops on the Highways.
☀ Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International airport has become India’s first airport to introduce self bag-drop facility.
- This will allow passengers that have already checked-in online to quickly tag and drop their baggage before heading directly to the gate.
☀ The 7th edition of India and Maldives bilateral exercise EKUVERIN 2016 began at Kadhdhoo, Laamu Atoll, Maldives. It is aimed at military training with emphasis on amphibious & counter insurgency, counter terrorism operations.
☀ India has topped Asia in innovation and has emerged as the third biggest country worldwide in terms of New Innovation Centres. Bengaluru is ranked 5th globally among top innovation hubs, where three new innovation centres have been opened.
☀ The Indian Government has extended the e-Tourist Visa facility to citizens of 161 countries. The number of foreign tourist arrivals on e-Tourist Visa has grown 168.5% from January to November this year over the same period last year.
☀ The Supreme Court has ordered that Indian Air Force personnel could not keep a beard. Emphasizing the need for maintaining discipline and uniformity, the court said the regulations did not interfere with an individual’s religious freedom.
☀ India signed Open Skies Agreement with six nations during International Civil Aviation Negotiations (ICAN) – 2016 held recently in Nassau.
- The Open Skies agreement allows unlimited number of flights to six metro airports namely Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Bengaluru and Chennai.
- It was signed with six countries namely Jamaica, Guyana, Czech Republic, Finland, Spain and Sri Lanka.
- This arrangement will encourage connectivity and passenger travel between India and these countries.
International News Important Current Affairs Updates – 16 December 2016
The following international news has important daily current affairs which you must know as an aspirant for exams conducted by UPSC and State PSCs. Questions might be asked in upcoming exams about the following.
☀ India will contribute ₹3.3 crore to the UN Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) for the year 2016-17 “despite own resource constraints”.
- India’s cumulative contribution now stands at Rs.40 crore, since the fund was launched in 2006.
- Total 29 countries have promised Rs. 1,851 crore to the CERF after outgoing Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon made a plea for funds for the CERF.
☀ Pakistan has successfully test fired an enhanced version of an indigenously-designed Babur cruise missile. This missile incorporates advanced aerodynamics and avionics that can strike targets both at land and sea with high accuracy.
☀ Music composer AR Rahman’s soundtrack for footballer Pele’s biopic ‘Pele: Birth of a Legend‘ has been selected in the first shortlist for ‘Best Original Score’ for the Oscars 2017. Rahman’s song ‘Ginga’ is also in the running for Best Original Song.
- Note that: Earlier, Rahman won two Oscars in 2009 for the movie “Slum Dog Millionaire”.
☀ French Parliament has voted to extend the country’s state of emergency until July 2017 until after the presidential elections. This is the fifth extension since the emergency imposed after the Paris attacks in November 2015.
☀ Qatar will end its ‘kafala’ labour sponsorship system which ties foreign workers to a single employer. With over 21 lakh foreign workers, Qatar now has new contract-based law to give workers job flexibility and protection.
- Note that: Qatar has been facing criticism over its labour laws, ever since it won the bid to host the 2022 football World Cup.
☀ A Pew Research Center study has claimed that, Hindus have the lowest level of educational attainment among all the major religions of the world. Hindus and Muslims have the least formal schooling (5.6 years), while 41% Hindus and 36% Muslims have no formal schooling at all, it found.
- According to the study, Jews are the most educated religious group in the world.
Economics News Today’s Current Affairs Download – 16 December 2016
The following economics current news will help in developing a better understanding of Economy and solving GK questions in banking and SSC exams.
☀ Supreme Court has said that the Centre should adhere to its notification allowing withdrawal of 24,000 rupees per week from bank accounts after demonetisation of high-value currency notes.
- This observation came on petitions challenging the government’s demonetisation move on the ground that the people are facing hardship.
☀ Jayaben Desai, a Gujarat-born activist who led a campaign against low pay to women workers at a UK factory in the 1970s has been included in BBC’s most influential women of the past 70 years list. Known as the sari-clad leader, she is one of the seven women on the list that is topped by Margaret Thatcher (Britain’s first female Prime Minister).
☀ For the fourth consecutive year, Russian President Vladimir Putin has been named as the World’s Most Powerful Person by Forbes. India’s PM Narendra Modi has featured 9th in this list. The top 10 in this list are the following:
- Vladimir Putin (Russian President)
- Donald Trump (US President elect)
- Angela Merkel (German Chancellor)
- Xi Jinping (Chinese President)
- Pope Francis
- Janet Yellen (US Federal Reserve Chairperson)
- Bill Gates (Bill & Melinda Foundation Chairman)
- Larry Page (Google Founder)
- Narendra Modi (Indian Prime Minister)
- Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook CEO)
☀ Australia is considering a proposal to demonetise its $100 currency note in an attempt to target tax evaders. The Australian government is also setting up a task force to curb black money.
- Note that: After India, Venezuela had earlier scrapped its 100-bolivar note, giving its holders ten days to swap their old currency.
16 December 2016 – Sports Current Affairs Download News Today
The following important current affairs about sports news are relevant from exam point of view. We hope this compilation on exampariksha helps you in increasing your financial awareness.
☀ The Russian city of Sochi will not host the 2017 Bobsleigh and Skeleton World Championships. The International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation does not want to hold the championships in Russia, a country accused of state-sponsored doping.
- Note that: A report on 9th December had claimed that more than 1,000 Russians benefited from a doping cover-up between 2011 and 2015, actively pursued by the state itself.
We hope this compilation was useful for going through today’s important news. You can download today’s current affairs as a pdf by clicking on the “Print PDF” button. Please share your comments with us. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.