Daily Current Affairs 2016 are listed here in a sincere attempt to cover all important topics for staying updated from today’s current affairs 2016.
17 May 2016- National News Daily Current Affairs Updates
Daily current affairs are being published by ExamPariksha.com covering relevant fact based daily important news. To include all important happening and developments in the National sphere in this section.
☀ The Centre has launched the 2nd phase of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) for three states — Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan.
- The scheme is designed to provide 5 crore free LPG connections to Below Poverty Line (BPL) families in the next three financial years.
- Who is implementing it? The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. This is first time this misinstry is implementing a welfare scheme.
- This Scheme would be implemented over three years, namely, the FY 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19.
- The scheme is being partly funded from the savings of the GiveItUp initiative.
☀ The government has launched a 15-day ‘Swachh Office Drive’ across India to ensure cleanliness at government-run offices.
☀ The government has said that the amended Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA), 2010, which they brought in through the Finance Bill route, will help foreign-origin companies to fund NGOs. It has also cleared the way for them to give “donations to political parties.”
- This amendment was cleared by the Lok Sabha in the recently concluded Budget session.
- It will ensure that “donations made by such [foreign shareholding] companies to entities including political parties will not attract provisions of the FCRA, 2010.”
- Note that: The government has brought the changes with a retrospective effect.
- Background: Such funding from foreign donors will now bypass government scrutiny. While the Representation of the People Act bars political parties from receiving foreign funds.
☀ The scientists of Wildlife Institute of India (WII) have been asked to relocate 110 Sangai – Dancing deer, brow-antlered and one of the most endangered species under Centre’s Endangered Species Recovery Project.
- The sangai is an endemic, rare and endangered subspecies of brow-antlered deer. It is classified as “Endangered” by the IUCN.
- It is state animal of Manipur. Also called Eld’s Deer.
- The Sangai is restricted to the Keibul Lamjao National Park (KLNP) in the Southeastern fringe of Loktak Lake in Manipur.
- Phumdis, floating vegetation that occupy about 2/3rd of the surface area of the lake. are their food. They feed, live and breed on this 9 km area of Phumdis.
- Why Sangai is called “dancing deer”? While walking on the floating biomass, its act of balancing itself looks as if it is dancing on the green grassland and therefore popularly called as “dancing deer” of Manipur.
International News Important Current Affairs Updates – 17 May 2016
The following exampariksha listing of international news has important daily current affairs which you must know as an aspirant for exams conducted by UPSC, SSC CGL 2016 and State PSCs.
☀ Indian Government has advised its students against taking admissions without checking background and reputation of the universities in the northern part of Cyprus in view of malpractices reported by some Indian students there.
☀ South Korean author, Han Kang, has won the 2016 Man Booker International Prize for ‘The Vegetarian’. It tells a story of a wife who decides to become a vegetarian, which provokes cruelty from her husband, and from her father. Han is the first South Korean to win the prize.
☀ The US and other world powers are ready to arm Libya’s UN-backed unity government to help it fight the Islamic State(IS) militant group. The joint decision followed a meeting in Vienna which was attended by diplomats from more than 20 countries.
☀ An Indian Air Force (IAF) team has successfully concluded ‘Red Flag Alaska 16-1’, an advanced aerial combat training exercise at Air Force Base in Alaska, USA.
Economics News Daily Current Affairs Updates – 17 May 2016
The following economics current news update has all important economy news for exams. These will also help in developing a better understanding of Economy. We hope this collection on exampariksha.com helps you in increasing your financial awareness.
☀ RBI has authorised 29 agency banks to accept payments of Income Tax dues. In order to minimize the hassle, tax payers can also use the facility of online payment or use alternate channels like the authorized agency banks.
- RBI has taken this measure as the rush for remitting Income Tax dues becomes too heavy towards the end of June every year. That makes it difficult for the Reserve Bank to cope with the pressure.
- Some of the agency banks authorized by RBI to collect tax are – Allahabad Bank, UCO Bank, Bank of India, Bank of Maharashtra, Canara Bank, State Bank of India, Central Bank of India, Dena Bank, HDFC, Oriental Bank of Commerce, Axis Bank and Punjab National Bank.
17 May 2016 – Todays Current Affairs Updates Sports News
The following important todays current affairs about sports news are relevant from exam point of view.
☀ A 3-member Indian women’s archery team comprising Deepika Kumari, Bombayla Devi and Laxmirani Majhi has been named for the Rio Olympics after selection trials. The women’s trio will compete in the individual events as well as team event at the Rio Olympic Games in August.
P.S. Usually examiners ask GA or current day to day GK questions in personal interviews and exams focusing on recent events to check how informed you are. We hope this compilation was useful for going through today’s important current events. Please share your comments with us. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.