“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
This post covers relevant news from national dailies and government releases for aspirants of examinations like UPSC IAS, CDS, SSC CGL, NDA, etc. It is highly useful for both, revision and awareness purposes.
National Important Current Affairs – 19 April 2019
- The ardent devotee of Lord Ram, Lord Hanuman’s birth anniversary is being celebrated today as Hanuman Jayanti. His life is a lesson for the devotees who spend the day fasting and remembering him. They will recite devotional songs, Hanuman Chalisa and sundar kaand paath is also recited in temples.
- Good Friday is being observed today by Christians all over the world to mark the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death at Calvary. It is observed on the Friday before Easter Sunday, and marks the resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is also known as Holy Friday, Great Friday, Black Friday and Easter Friday.
The government has suspended the LoC trade in Jammu and Kashmir. The Home Ministry has issued an order as the government has been receiving reports that the Cross LoC trade routes are being misused by the Pakistan-based elements for funnelling illegal weapons, narcotics and fake currency. The LoC trade is allowed through two Trade Facilitation Centres located at Salamabad, Uri, District Baramulla and Chakkan-da-Bagh of District Poonch.
Note that: After the Pulwama incident, Government had withdrawn the Most Favoured Nation status to Pakistan.
- The western disturbance have brought heavy rainfall across various parts of the country, causing much disruption. Western Disturbance are extra-tropical storm that originates in the Mediterranean Sea driven by the Westerlies. A high-pressure area over Ukraine and neighbourhood consolidates, and generates favourable conditions for cyclogenesis in the upper atmosphere, which promotes the formation of an eastward-moving extratropical depression. They gradually travel across the middle-east from Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan to enter the Indian sub-continent.
Note that: Western Disturbances play important role in bringing moderate to heavy rain in low-lying areas and heavy snow to mountainous areas of the Indian Subcontinent. This precipitation has great importance in agriculture, particularly for the Rabi crops – especially Wheat. However, excessive precipitation due to this disturbance can cause crop damage, landslides, floods and avalanches.
India and France will be holding their largest ever naval exercise called Varuna at Goa from 1 May 2019. The exercise will be going to involve aircraft carriers, destroyer ships, submarines and fighter planes. The two countries will be deploying their aircraft carriers with India deploying its INS Vikramaditya and Mig-29K. On the other hand, France will be deploying its Charles de gaulle and Rafale-M naval fighter jet.
Note that: Under the agreement between both the countries, Indian warships can access French bases like the Reunion Islands near Madagascar and Djibouti on the Horn of Africa in the Indian Ocean.
International Current Affairs Capsule – 19 April 2019
Nepal has successfully launched its first satellite NepaliSat-1 into space from Virginia in the United States. The satellite was developed by the Nepalese scientists. NepaliSat-1 is a low orbit satellite and will take photographs on a regular basis in order to gather geographical information of the country. It weighs 1.3 kilograms, making it a small satellite with limited capability.
Note that: NAST initiated the launch of the country’s own satellite under the BIRDS project of the Japanese Kyushu Institute of Technology. The BIRDS project is designed with the United Nations as an associate and aims at helping countries launch their first satellite.
- Sri Lanka’s first satellite Raavana-1 has been launched into space from NASA’s Flight Facility on Virginia’s east shore. The Raavana-1 weighs around 1.05 kg and the lifespan of the satellite is almost 18 months. The launch marks Sri Lanka’s entry into the global space age. The satellite was designed and built at the Kyushu Institute of Technology in Japan by two Sri Lankan research engineers. Its camera mission is to capture images of Sri Lanka and its neighbouring countries.
- The Donald Trump administration has halted the decade old US government practice of disclosing the current size of the nuclear weapons stockpile. The Department of Energy provided no explanation for the this change.
Note That: In the year 2018, the Trump administration had disclosed that the stockpile consisted of 3,822 nuclear warheads, down 196 warheads from the year before. The decision reverses the US nuclear weapons transparency policy.
Sports Current Affairs – 19 April 2019
The International Hockey Federation has imposed a fine of 170,000 Euros on Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) for not honouring its Pro League commitments. The PHF is fined because it did not send their national team for the Pro League matches in Argentina, Australia and New Zealand. It has given PHF a time limit till 20th June, on failure of which PHF will have to pay double the penalty.
India’s Bajrang Punia has regained his world number one spot in the men’s 65-kilogram freestyle Wrestling category rankings. He had won Gold in the Asian Games and Commonwealth Games as well as silver in the World Championships. He is currently preparing for the Asian Wrestling Championship to be held in China from the 23rd of this month, had first reached the world number one spot in November 2018.
“Current Affairs Questions for UPSC IAS Prelims – 19 April 2019 “
Q1. India’s first-of-its-kind ‘Voter Park’ has recently inaugurated in which of the following cities?
- A) Kolkata
- B) Pune
- C) Dehradun
- D) Gurugram
Q2. Which country has developed the world’s first armed amphibious drone boat?
- A) China
- B) United States
- C) Russia
- D) Japan
Q3. Which Indian sportsperson has clinched the 2019 Dutch International badminton title?
- A) Parupalli Kashyap
- B) Srikanth Kidambi
- C) Harsheel Dani
- D) B. Sai Praneeth
Q4. India’s first foreign interactive and exotic world park has come up in which of the following cities?
- A) Mumbai
- B) Kochi
- C) Kolkata
- D) Chennai
Q5. The women’s safety app “My Circle” has been launched by which of the following telecom companies?
- A) Reliance
- B) Bharti Airtel
- C) BSNL
- D) Vodafone
Answer these questions in the comments below. We encourage you to discuss your thoughts on the news and issues mentioned in today’s current affairs post. The idea is to promote healthy discussions on interesting issues to make preparation fun. Have a good day!