All important current affair for pdf download covering national, international, economics, sports daily news that can be asked in current GK section of UPSC, State PSC exams.
National News Important Current Affair – 20 February 2017
■ The ruling Naga People’s Front (NPF) Legislature Party will meet in Kohima this morning to elect a new leader after the resignation of Nagaland Chief Minister TR Zeliang.
- He resigned following widespread protests in the state over the government’s decision to give 33 per cent reservation to women in urban local bodies (ULBs).
■ The Supreme Court has refused to intervene in a petition seeking a direction to the government to frame a national policy to promote and propagate the ‘National Song’, along with the National Anthem and the National Flag.
- This decision came on a petition contending that a national policy should be framed “in the spirit of Article 51A to achieve the great golden goals, as set out in the Preamble of the Constitution of India.”
International Today’s Current Affair Updates – 20 February 2017
■ Researchers at Google have moved a step closer to rolling out a network of huge balloons to provide Internet connectivity to billions of people around the world, especially in difficult-to-reach rural areas.
The Project Loon team, now has much more control over where its balloons reach, making it possible to focus on a specific region, rather than circumnavigating the globe.
|What is Project Loon?
Project Loon aims to provide internet services to the remote parts of the world, by using balloons that float in the stratosphere. Conventional internet services are provided by using under-ground fibre optic cables or constructing cell towers to connect users.
■ The Centre has junked the idea to build a wall along the Pakistan border in Jammu, originally envisaged as a barrier to cross-border terror. This proposed embankment would have been about 135 feet (41 metres) wide and 10 metres high, and would have accommodated bunkers and border outposts.
- The wall proposal was opposed by Pakistan, by writing to the United Nations Security Council in 2015 accusing India of converting what it called a “working boundary” into a “quasi international boundary.”
- The Indian Army too opposed the embankment, saying it would pose hindrances to their forward movement during military operations.
- Also, since the International Border is densely populated and has fertile agrarian land. Not many people were willing to let go of their land.
India shares 3323 Km (including Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu & Kashmir sector) of its land border with Pakistan, which has varied terrain and distinct geographical features. This border runs along the States of Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab and Jammu & Kashmir.
■ India has sanctioned a soft loan of 340 million US dollars to Nepal for various infrastructure development programmes.
- Under this programme Mahalaki bridge and 15 roads will be constructed in various parts of Nepal.
Daily Economics Current Affairs News Today – 20 February 2017
■ The Reserve Bank has enhanced the cash withdrawal limit from Savings Bank Account to Rs 50,000 from the existing Rs 24,000 from today. RBI has further also said that all limits on cash withdrawals from Savings Bank Account will be withdrawn from the 13th of next month.
20 February 2017 – Important Sports Current Affair News
■ The Indian Pakistani cricketer Shahid Afridi has announced his retirement from international cricket. The 36-year-old all-rounder was currently active in the International Twenty20 format after having quit Test cricket in 2010 and One-Day Internationals in 2015.
■ Olympians Akhil Kumar and Jitender Kumar have confirmed turning professional boxers after they signed a multi-year deal with IOS Boxing, the company which manages Vijender Singh’s pro boxing career.
The duo will reportedly make their pro debuts on April 1 in Mumbai and fight a total of six bouts each this year.
■ Former Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir has passed away. Kabir was appointed as the Chief Justice of India on September 29, 2012 and played an important role during widespread protests after the 2012 Delhi Gangrape case.
We hope this compilation was useful for going through today’s important current affair. Please share your comments with us. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.