All important current affair for pdf download covering national, international, economics, sports daily news that can be asked in UPSC, State PSC exams is selected from today’s newspapers below.
National Important Current Affair – 22 January 2017
☀ The states of Manipur, Tripura and Meghalaya celebrated their 45th Statehood Day. These 3 states attained statehood in 1972 under the North-Eastern Areas (Re-organisation) Act, 1971.
- Meghalaya was earlier a part of Assam before becoming a full-fledged state.
- Manipur and Tripura were Union Territories before 1972.
☀ President Pranab Mukherjee has approved changes in government rules to allow scrapping of the 92-year old practice of presenting a separate Railway Budget and merged it with the Union Budget.
☀ Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has announced that government will build a rail link connecting neighbouring nations Bhutan, Myanmar, Bangladesh, and Nepal.
☀ Kerala will be declared 100% Open Defecation Free state by the end of March according to State Governor P Sathasivam. Now soon Kerala would then join Himachal Pradesh and Sikkim which are already Open Defecation Free states.
☀ Central Government has decided to facilitate Tangaliya weavers in purchase of looms. It will provide them an assistance amounting to 90% of the price of looms and also form a special association of Tangaliya workers to work for their interest.
- About Tangaliya weave: Tangaliya is a dotted woven textile of Saurashtra, Surendranagar district, found only in Gujarat. Tangaliya is a 700-year-old indigenous weave of Gujarat which uses an exquisite technique of weaving, using raw wool yarn. It is usually worn as a wrap-around skirt by Bharwad shephered community women.
International Today’s Current Affairs – 22 January 2017
☀ Former Miss Universe Sushmita Sen has confirmed that she will be part of the judging panel of the upcoming 65th edition of the Miss Universe pageant.
- Note that : Sushmita Sen was crowned Miss Universe in Manila, Philippines in 1994.
☀ India has recently participated in the Joint International Taskforce on Shared Intelligence and Collaboration (JITSIC) meeting held in Paris where 30 Revenue Authorities shared their findings on investigations arising from the Panama Papers.
- About Joint International Task force on Shared Intelligence and Collaboration: JITSIC was originally established in 2004 as the Joint International Tax Shelter Information Centre to combat cross-border tax avoidance. Building on its initial achievements, the JITSIC was re-established in 2014. The JITSIC brings together 36 of the world’s national tax administrations that have committed to more effective and efficient ways to deal with tax avoidance. It is open to all members of the OECD’s Forum on Tax Administration (FTA), supported by the FTA Secretariat based at the OECD.
- About Panama papers: The ‘Panama Papers’ leaks contain information running into more than 11 million documents covering 2,10,000 companies in 21 offshore jurisdictions, released by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ).
- India’s Status: About 500 Indians are found in the list which includes prominent businessmen, film celebrities and those belonging to lucrative professions. The government has created a Multi-Agency Group (MAG) of probe agencies to go into these cases, comprising the I-T department, the RBI, Financial Intelligence Unit and the Enforcement Directorate.
☀ Retired General James Mattis has been sworn in as US Secretary of Defense, making him the first cabinet member of POTUS Donald Trump to be cleared to take office.
Economics Current Affairs Today – 22 January 2017
☀ The new draft National Steel Policy of 2017 has been released by the Ministry of steel, which has invited comments on the policy from all the stakeholders and the public. It is an effort to steer the industry to achieve its future potential and strategy to deal with various impediments
Problems faced by steel industry: High input cost, availability of raw materials, dependency on imports, financial stress etc.
Highlights of proposed National Steel Policy 2017 (NSP 2017) :
- Steel Ministry proposes setting up greenfield steel plants along India’s coastline to tap cheap imported raw materials such as coking coal and export the output in a more cost-effective manner.
- The policy envisages to more than double India’s domestic steel production capacity to 300 million tonnes by 2030-31, and expects at least 11 lakh new jobs being created in the process.
- In order to cut down reliance on expensive imports of coking coal, the policy has mooted gas-based steel plants and technologies such as electric furnaces to bring down the use of coking coal in blast furnaces.
Note that: In 2015, India was the only large economy in the world where steel demand continued to demonstrate positive growth at 5.3%, as against negative growth in China, and Japan.
☀ The Government has clarified that Co-operative Banks are not authorised to accept deposits under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Deposit Scheme (PMGKDS).
- This scheme allows voluntary declarations of previously undisclosed income with an effective tax rate of 50 per cent and requires assessees to deposit a further 25 per cent of such wealth into a four-year interest-free deposit.
- PMGKDS was launched on 17th of last month and will remain open for declarations upto 31st March of this year.
Sports Current Affair News – 22 January 2017
☀ India will take on England in 3rd and final ODI Cricket match at Eden Gardens in Kolkata today. The hosts are aiming for a clean-sweep in the ODI Cricket series against England after clinching the series 2-0 with prior wins at Pune and Cuttack. This is Team India’s last ODI ahead of the Champions Trophy in June.
☀ Anurag Thakur, ousted as BCCI President following a Supreme Court order, has been unanimously elected head of the Himachal Pradesh Olympic Association, HPOA for a four-year term.
- Recall that: Mr Thakur had to step down as BCCI President owing to the Supreme Court ruling on Lodha Committee reforms.
We hope this compilation was useful for going through today’s important current affair. Please share your comments with us. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.