This Daily Current Affair Capsule is a brief collection of important news from national dailies and government releases on PIB useful for UPSC IAS, CDS, SSC CGL, NDA, etc. It covers national, international, economic, sports news.
National Important Current Affairs – 22 March 2017
■ Prime Minister Narendra Modi has pitched for collective fight by BIMSTEC countries against terror and radicalisation. The National Security Chiefs of the Bay from the Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) countries have gathered in New Delhi for first-ever meeting of the seven-nation grouping. This is the first ever meeting of the National Security Chiefs of the Member States in India. PM Modi has called upon the BIMSTEC member states to come together to counter common security threats, such as terrorism, extremism and radicalization, drugs, arms and human trafficking.
■ The Government has moved a fresh proposal to cap cash transactions at 2 lakh rupees instead of 3 lakh rupees as provided in the Union Budget 2017-18. It is one of the important amendments introduced in the Finance Bill 2017. The bill seeks to give effect to the financial proposals of the Central Government for the next financial year.
- According to these amendments, Cash transactions above two lakh rupees will be illegal after the Finance Bill gets the President’s assent.
- The penalty for a violation will be a fine equivalent to the value of the transaction.
- Income tax payers would have to declare their Aadhaar number in all tax returns filed from 1st of July.
- They will also have to link the Aadhaar number with the PAN before the July deadline. According to the bill, PAN cards that are not linked will be deemed invalid.
■ The Southern Bench of the National Green Tribunal has suspended the Environmental Clearance (EC) granted to the India-based Neutrino Observatory (INO) that was to come up in Theni and asked the project proponent to make a fresh application.
- The Tribunal has found that the Mathikettan Shola National Park in Idukki district of Kerala was just about 4.9 km from the proposed project site and the Tamil Nadu-Kerala border was just a kilometre away, making it a Category ‘A’ project.
■ In Uttar Pradesh an intensive drive is being carried out across the state against slaughter houses and retail outlets being run illegally and in violation of the Municipal and Pollution control laws. Actions have been taken against several slaughter houses and about two dozen have been sealed in Ghaziabad, Allahabad, Varanasi, Meerut and Hapur districts.
■ Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has launched initiatives to develop Majuli as India’s first carbon neutral district and as a biodiversity heritage. While also launching “Forests are Lives” campaign to celebrate the importance of Assam’s rich forest and biodiversity, he urged people to take a pledge to conserve its biodiversity to make a pollution free state.
- Sonowal also directed the Forest Department to celebrate the international day of forest from next year in every school of the state.
■ The Supreme Court has said that the final hearing on the Cauvery water disputes case will begin from 11th of July this year, and will continue for 15 consecutive working days.
- The final hearing will be held on the appeals filed by Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Kerala against the 2007 award of the Cauvery Water Dispute Tribunal.
International Current Affairs Capsule – 22 March 2017
■ The annual World Water Day is being observed on 22 March as a means of focusing attention on the importance of freshwater and advocating for the sustainable management of freshwater resources.
- It was recommended at the 1992 United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED). The United Nations General Assembly designated 22 March 1993 as the first World Water Day.
- The theme for 2017 is “Wastewater” and in 2018 it will be “Nature-based Solutions for Water”.
|Additional Information :
In December 2016, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the resolution “International Decade (2018–2028) for Action – Water for Sustainable Development” to help put a greater focus on water.
The Decade will commence on World Water Day 22 March 2018, and terminate on World Water Day, 22 March 2028.
It will focus on the sustainable development and integrated management of water resources for the achievement of social, economic and environmental objectives, as well as on the furtherance of cooperation and partnership at all levels in order to help to achieve targets for the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
■ India will soon hold talks with Afghanistan on ways to boost bilateral trade and investment. It is also aimed at mounting pressure on Islamabad to facilitate trouble-free transit of goods from India to Afghanistan through Pakistan (Wagah-Attari route).
- This will help in the development of Afghanistan which is a land-locked and Least Developed Country (LDC) as well as to boost trade and investment in South Asia through better regional connectivity.
- Note that: In the absence of transit route through Pakistan, India depends on other countries, including Iran, to send goods to Afghanistan even though it increases time and costs for Indian exporters.
Economics Today’s Current Affair Capsule – 22 March 2017
■ The government has collected three lakh 91 thousand 529 crore rupees as advance tax till 16th of this month during the current fiscal compared to three lakh 52 thousand 899 crore rupees in the corresponding period last year. The Minister of State for Finance Santosh Kumar Gangwar said the advance tax received post demonetization has increased.
■ The Supreme Court has asked the Centre why it chose not to create a separate category for those who couldn’t deposit demonetised notes by December 30, 2016 unlike the NRIs and people who were abroad.
- A bench headed by Chief Justice J S Khehar said, the Prime Minister, in his November 8 address, had said that those with valid reasons could deposit the demonetised currency even after December 30, 2016, till March 31, 2017 with the RBI branches.
- The apex court said that the Prime Minister’s address had given hope that those in difficulty would get a chance after giving valid reasons.
■ The Supreme Court has warned the Sahara Group that its Amby Valley property worth 39,000 crore rupees in Pune will be auctioned, if the company fails to deposit 5092 crore rupees with the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) by 17th of April.
- The court had earlier directed attachment of Sahara Group’s prime property for realisation of money to be paid to its investors.
- Aamby Valley is Sahara’s flagship project consisting of luxury resorts, man-made lakes and an airport. It is spread over 4,000 hectares in Maharashtra.
Note that: In 2014, Sahara Group chief Subrata Roy was taken in custody after the conglomerate failed to comply with the court’s directions.
Sports Today’s Current Affair Capsule – 22 March 2017
■ Citing security concerns, Hong Kong is forfeiting its Davis Cup tennis matches against Pakistan, which are scheduled for next month in Islamabad. Now Pakistan will face Philippines or Thailand in the third round. Note that: Pakistani militants have carried out numerous attacks in the country over the last decade, resulting in killing thousands of people, including police and paramilitary forces.
“Current Affairs Questions for UPSC IAS Prelims”
Q1.The first fully India made train “Medha” has been flagged off between which of the following stations?
- A) New Delhi to Patna
- B) Dadar to Borivali
- C) Hyderabad to Kanyakumari
- D) Agartala to New Delhi
Q2. Which of the following institution has topped the Times Higher Education (THE)’s Asia University ranking 2017?
- A) Peking University, China
- B) Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore
- C) National University of Singapore (NUS)
- D) Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur
Q3. Amitabh Kant is the CEO of _ ?
- A) UIDAI
- B) Niti Aayog
- C) Election Commission of India
- D) Tata Sons
Q4. The Zika Virus outbreaks happened in which continent ?
- A) Asia
- B) North America
- C) South America
- D) Africa
Q5. Which Indian personality recently launched the world’s first mobile app on Breast health?
- A) Aamir Khan
- B) Narendra Modi
- C) Amitabh Bachchan
- D) Sushma Swaraj
Answer these questions in the comments below. Discuss your thoughts on the news and issues mentioned in today’s current affairs post.
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.