National News Daily Current Affairs Update – 23 April 2016
ExamPariksha publishes relevant fact based Current Affairs daily to cover all important happening and developments in the National sphere in this section. Usually examiners ask GA GK questions in personal interviews focussing on recent events to check how informed you are, is an attempt to cover all important topics for such scenarios also.
- The government has set up a Panel to prepare a blueprint for doubling farmers’ income by 2022. The 8 member panel headed by : Ashok Dalwai (Additional Secretary at the Agriculture Ministry) aims to identify potential areas where more investment is required. It would also focus on reducing cost of cultivation and address the unpredictability in agriculture due to weather and other market reasons.
- Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Petroleum and Natural Gas, Dharmendra Pradhan, announced that one crore consumers have joined the ‘GiveItUp’ movement, which was started on the call given by the Prime Minister in March 2015. Note that: Through the GiveItUp initiative the Government urged the well-off LPG consumers to voluntarily surrender their subsidy and through the subsidy saved the Government promised to give connection to such poor families having no LPG connection.
- Uttarakhand has come under President’s rule again after Supreme Court puts a stay over Nainital High Court order quashing imposition of Central rule.
- India’s 1stSecond–Generation (2G) Ethanol plant has been inaugurated at Kashipur in Uttarakhand by the Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences, Dr. Harsh Vardhan. The plant has a capacity to consume 10 tons of biomass per day, works by converting lingo-cellulosic biomass to Ethanol. It is a novel technology capable of converting all types of agricultural residues like Bagasse, Rice Straw, Wheat Straw, Bamboo, Cotton Stalk, Corn Stover, Wood chips etc. to ethanol in less than 24 hours, with optimum product yields. Note that: Government of India has set a mandate of 5% blending of renewable biofuel in both petrol and diesel.
- Month long Simhastha Kumbh mela has begun at Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh from 22nd April.
- Union Government has renamed the Department of Disinvestment as Department of Investment and Public Asset Management or DIPAM. This decision aims at proper management of Central government’s investments in equity and also its disinvestment proceeds in central public sector undertakings (PSUs).
- Actress Radhika Apte has won the Best Actress Award in an International Narrative Feature at the Tribeca 2016 Awards for ‘Madly‘. With this, she became the first Indian actress to win the award.
- The TIME Magazine has released the list of 100 most influential people which featured 6 Indians including RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan and actress Priyanka Chopra. Tennis ace Sania Mirza, environmentalist Sunita Narain along with Flipkart Co-founders Sachin and Binny Bansal were other Indians on the list. The list has also featured Indian-origin Google CEO Sundar Pichai.
- President Pranab Mukherjee has approved the nomination of 6 people to the Rajya Sabha, recommended by the central government which included:
- Boxer and Olympic medallist Mary Kom
- BJP leader Subramanian Swamy.
- Journalist Swapan Das Gupta,
- Former BJP MP and cricketer Navjot Singh Sidhu,
- Malayalam actor Suresh Gopi
- Economist Narendra Jadhav.
International News Daily Current Affairs Update – 23 April 2016
Questions about International Relations (IR) are often asked in interviews, written exams conducted by various recruiters. The following international news has important daily current affairs which you must know as an aspirant for exams conducted by UPSC and State PSCs.
- The 46th International Earth Day has been observed on 22nd April to increase public awareness about environmental problems. The aim of the day is to bring attention to environmental issues to spark changes that will result in a healthy, sustainable environment. The Theme of 2016 : Trees for the Earth
- As many as 175 countries, including India, China and the US, have signed the Paris Agreement on climate change in New York on Friday, to coincide with ‘International Mother Earth Day’. The Paris deal is the most ambitious climate change agreement in history.
- Note that: At least 55 countries, that account for an estimated 55 per cent of the total global greenhouse gas emissions will have to ratify the agreement before the agreement enters into force.
- This is a long term, durable global framework to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions for keeping global temperature rise below 2 degrees Celsius.
- The Merriam-Webster dictionary has added over 1,400 new terms and phrases to its unabridged version, providing official recognition to a host of technology and internet culture terminology. The new words and acronyms include Bitcoin, Nomophobia (the fear of being without a working mobile phone), FOMO (fear of missing out), TMI (too much information) and ICYMI (in case you missed it).
- India and China have agreed to establish a hot-line between their armed forces.
- The Malaysian government has introduced the Electronic Travel Authorization Visa (e-visa) for Indian tourists on a short visit to the country. This facility is available only to Indians who live in India and is valid for a single journey and a maximum of 30 days. The e-visa can be obtained within 24-48 hours and will be valid for three months.
- According to reports, United States President Barack Obama is going to become the first sitting US President to visit Hiroshima, over 70 years after USA’s atom bomb destroyed the city. This visit is scheduled after the Group of Seven (G7) Summit in Japan.
- China and Pakistan have signed an agreement for the launch of a special satellite to monitor the development of the multi-billion dollars China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) projects. In this regard, both countries have decided for development and launch of the Pakistan Remote Sensing Satellite (PRSS-1) System and launched a satellite in June 2018.
- NASA has successfully tested a 3D-printed rocket engine turbopump, with liquid methane as fuel, for its future Mars mission. The 3D-printed fuel pump had 45% fewer parts than pumps made via traditional manufacturing. NASA claims that liquid methane is an ideal propellant to power engines for deep-space missions.
- Russia will sign a joint manufacturing contract with India for 200 Ka-226T light utility multirole helicopters before the end of 2016. An intergovernmental agreement for the same had been signed during PM Narendra Modi’s visit to Russia in December last year.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping has taken on a new military title, in his latest move to exert greater control over the armed forces. Xi is now Commander in Chief of the military’s Joint Operations Command Centre. Note that : Xi Jinping is already General Secretary of the Communist Party, and chair of the Central Military Commission, which manages the People’s Liberation Army.
Economics News Daily Current Affairs Update – 23 April 2016
- India has overtaken China as the world’s top destination for Foreign Direct Investment by attracting greenfield capital investment worth $63 billion in 2015. A year of high-value project announcements specifically across the coal, oil and natural gas and renewable energy sectors has lead to India being highest ranked country by capital investment in 2015.
- The Department of Telecom has allowed Reliance Communications to share spectrum with Reliance Jio in nine circles. This will allow both the companies to offer 4G internet services on a 10 MHz block in a 800 MHz band, which can provide speeds up to 80 Mbps.
- India saw 25.08 lakh Foreign Tourist Arrivals (FTAs) between January and March 2016, up 10% from the same period last year, according to data shared by the Ministry of Tourism.During March 2016, the country received 8.17 lakh arrivals as against FTAs of 7.29 lakh in March 2015. Foreign Exchange Earnings (FEEs) this year in the period was Rs.13,115 crore.
Sports News Daily Current Affairs Update – 23 April 2016
- Ibrahim Al-Hussein, a 27-year-old athlete from Syria, who lost his leg during the Syrian War will be carrying the Olympic torch in Athens on April 26, as part of the torch relay for the 2016 Rio Games.
- Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis pair has entered into semifinals of Porsche Tennis Grand Prix being held in Stuttgart, Germany.
- Former national tennis champion Vishnu Vardhan has made it to record books by becoming the first champion of the Asian Tennis Tour (ATT) after he beat Sidharth Rawat in the final of this $5,000 event held at the DLTA Complex in New Delhi.
- American singer-songwriter-instrumentalist Prince Rogers Nelson, popularly known as Prince, has passed away at age of 57 years. His most popular works include the album ‘Purple Rain’ (1984), which won him an Oscar and two Grammys.
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.