“The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.”
This post covers relevant news from national dailies and government releases for aspirants of examinations like UPSC IAS, CDS, SSC CGL, NDA, etc. It is highly useful for both, revision and awareness purposes.
National Important Current Affairs – 23 April 2019
- Indian and the US navies conducted joint submarine hunting exercise near Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean in which India’s P8I Neptune Aircraft and US P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft along with the USS Spruance have participated. The objective of this exercise is to lay the groundwork for coordinating maritime patrol and reconnaissance. The maritime exercise is focused on anti-submarine training, information sharing and coordination between maritime patrol aircraft and surface combatants.
Note that: This is the first bilateral anti-submarine exercise after signing of a Communications, Compatibility and Security Agreement which enables closer interoperation between United States and Indian military assets.
- Under the FAME II scheme, the Central Government has made compulsory for Electric Vehicle (EV) manufactures in India to locally source at least 50% components for the provision of receiving subsidies. This step has been taken to encourage local manufacturing and relying less on imports.
The conditions under FAME II scheme were decided at Inter Ministerial Steering Committee at National Mission for Transformative Mobility headed by Amitabh Kant, CEO at NITI Aayog.
Note that: Only the companies that meet the 50% localization threshold will be eligible for incentives and subsidies under FAME II scheme for enhancing electric mobility. Government will adopt challenge route to choose states and entrepreneurs to set up major factories for large scale manufacturing of cells and batteries in India.
- April 22 observed as a Global Earth Day 2019 with a theme, Protecting Our Species. First time on April 22, 2009 United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) has passed a resolution declaring April 22 as ‘International Mother Earth Day’. This year the focus is on protecting the species which are on the verge of extinction.
- According to the report of the Statistics and Programme Implementation Ministry, Indian Railways accounts for nearly three-fifths of the 344 central sector projects that are facing huge cost overrun due to delay in implementation. The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MOSPI) monitors central sector projects involving an expenditure of Rs 150 crore and above. After the railways, the power sector has reported the 2nd highest incidence of overall cost overrun. Out of the 95 projects monitored by the ministry in the power sector, 40 projects reported cost overrun.
Note that: Cost overrun means spending more money on a project than that was planned in the budget or the actual extra amount that is spent.
International Current Affairs Capsule – 23 April 2019
- Saudi Arabia and the UAE has announced financial support of three billion dollars for the people of Sudan following the overthrow of long time leader Omar al-Bashir. According to the Emirates News Agency, the assistance bundle entails $500 million deposit into Sudan’s central bank to strengthen the country’s liquidity and monetary reserves. The remaining amount will be distributed over the people of Sudan, food, medicines, and fuel derivatives.
Note that: UAE had urged the Sudan’s transitional military council to protect people and property, wishing these steps would ensure security and stability for the country.
Economics Today’s Current Affair Capsule – 23 April 2019
- SBI General Insurance has launched its new product –cyber defence insurance to protect businesses from financial and reputational losses due to cyber attacks. Initially, it will focus on SMEs and mid-market businesses, but later it can cater to larger businesses. This offers protection against the rising threat of cyber breaches such as hacking attacks, identity theft, disclosure of sensitive information and business interruption. Also, provides IT forensic investigations, legal advice, reputational and PR management.
Note that: SBI General Insurance’s (SBIG) Cyber Defense comes with CYRUSS (Cyber Risk Underwriting & Solution Suite) which is a cloud-based tool for Commercial Cyber polices including risk assessment, ongoing risk management, and claim management.
- Bombay Stock Exchange, Asia’s first and India’s largest stock exchange and Network Intelligence, a global cyber security services provider & CERT-IN empanelled vendor inks Memorandum of Understanding to provide cyber security services to its members according to the cyber security framework set by SEBI.
Note that: BlueScope, a platform developed by Network Intelligence, to offer 24×7 monitoring to the members. To offer services like VAPT, Asset Management, Endpoint Security, Network Security, Network Intelligence will use modern technology solutions.
Sports Current Affairs – 23 April 2019
- India’s first gold at the 23rd Asian athletics championships came from Gomathi Marimuthu who ran with a smart strategy at the Khalifa International Stadium. It was the 30-year-old Tamil Nadu athlete’s first major gold at the women’s 800m honours. Gomathi smartly moved to the outer lane, when the two leading runners were virtually blocking her, she surprised Kazakhstan’s Margarita Mukasheva and China’s Wang Chunyu and took the coveted medal in a personal best 2:02.70s.
- Indian athletes won five medals on the opening day of the Asian Athletics Championships in Doha. Javelin thrower Annu Rani and 3000-meter steeple chaser Avinash Sable won the silver medals. Quartermiler M P Poovamma, 5000-meter runner Parul Choudhary and 10000-meter runner Gavit Murali Kumar bagged a bronze each on a day. Sprinter Dutee Chand qualified for the semi-finals clocking 11.28 seconds to win the heat number four of the women’s 100-meter race.
- Italy’s Fabio Fognini has bagged Monte Carlo Masters after defeating Dusan Lajovic of Serbia by 6-3, 6-4, the first Italian to triumph in more than 15 years. Last time an Italian player Nicola Pietrangeli won the trophy in 1968. This event held every year at Monte Carlo Country Club.
Note that: Fognini has defeated 11-time Monte Carlo champion Rafael Nadal in the semi-final.
“Current Affairs Questions for UPSC IAS Prelims – 23 April 2019 “
Q1. Which of the following statements is/are incorrect regarding Kigali agreement?
- It aims to phase out Chloro fluorocarbons (CFC) by the late 2040s.
- It is non-binding agreement similar to Paris agreement.
- It has provisions for penalties for non- compliance.
- Under it developed countries will provide funding support globally.
Choose the appropriate code
- A) 1 and 2
- B) 3 and 4
- C) 1, 3 and 4
- D) None
Q2. 6th International Exhibition and Conference GRIDTECH 2019 was recently held in _______.
- A) Tehran
- B) Karachi
- C) New Delhi
- D) Dhaka
Q3. Which country imposed a curfew after a wave of bombs in churches and hotels killed & injured hundreds of people?
- A) India
- B) Bangladesh
- C) Sri Lanka
- D) Myanmar
Q4. . World Liver Day 2019 has been observed on _________.
- A) April 18
- B) April 19
- C) April 20
- D) April 21
Q5. International Hockey Federation (FIH) has imposed a hefty fine of one lakh seventy six thousand Euros on _________ for not honoring the Pro League commitments.
- A) India
- B) Iran
- C) Pakistan
- D) Israel
Answer these questions in the comments below. We encourage you to discuss your thoughts on the news and issues mentioned in today’s current affairs post. The idea is to promote healthy discussions on interesting issues to make preparation fun. Have a good day!