Today’s Current Affairs from TheHindu, Indian Express, PIB covering all important happening in national, international, economics, awards and sports.
National Daily Current Affairs pdf – 25 January 2017
☀ The Crown Prince of AbuDhabi Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan is on a visit to India. He is the Republic Day Chief Guest. Prime Minister Narendra Modi received him at Delhi airport.
☀ Election Commission of India is celebrating the 7th National Voters’ Day across the country – 25th January – the foundation day of the Election Commission, which came into being on this day in 1950.
- Present Chief Election Commissioner – Dr. Nasim Zaidi
- The Commission’s objective through National Voters’ Day is to increase enrollment of voters, especially of the newly eligible ones.
- The 1st National Voters Day was celebrated in 2011 under the leadership of the then Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi.
- Note that: Earlier only 12% of youngsters in age group of 18-19 years were registered as voters. Now the voter enrollment has increased to almost 75% among the 18-19 year olds. Through awareness drives, the voter apathy has been reduced in last seven years.
- Six countries, including Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bhutan and Nepal have emulated India and started celebrating National Voters Day in their countries.
☀ Election Commission has asked political parties and leaders not to use the pictures of President, Vice President and State Governors in their election campaign posters, as they are Constitutional Authorities, completely apolitical and they should not be associated with any poll campaign.
- This direction has come after recent letter by the President’s Secretariat to EC about the reported use of photographs of President Pranab Mukherjee by political parties in Punjab Assembly elections.
☀ The Survey of India will “re-measure” the height of Mount Everest as scientists have expressed doubts over its present height, after the 2015 Nepal earthquake.
☀ The Rajasthan Board of Secondary Education has decided to include a Chapter on Demonetisation and cashless economy in its Class XII economics textbooks as part of creating awareness among the young.
☀ Union Cabinet has approved to waive off interest on short-term crop loans taken by farmers from Cooperative Banks for the months of November and December. This decision was taken because farmers faced difficulty due to the Centre’s demonetisation decision in the last two months of 2016.
☀ External Affairs Ministry and the Department of Posts will utilise Head Post Offices in various states as the Post Office Passport Seva Kendra for delivering passport related services to the people.
- This is being done in order to extend passport services to the citizens on a larger scale and to ensure wider area coverage.
- The pilot projects will be inaugurated today at Head Post Offices of Mysuru in Karnataka and Dahod in Gujarat.
☀ The Union Cabinet approved the IIM Bill, proposing to grant stautary powers to all the 20 premier B-Schools to award degrees instead of diplomas.
- The 20 IIMs willnot have the President as their ex-officio ‘Visitor’, unlike other institutes of National Importance set up by an Act such as the IITs and NITs. Hence, the government will not have a say in selecting top executives of IIMs, giving them full autonomy.
- IIMs will be subject to CAG audit for the purpose of accountability.
☀ The government has recently launched Rubber Soil Information System (RubSIS). It is an online system for recommending application of appropriate mix of fertilizers to the specific plantations of rubber growers depending upon their soil nature. It will bring soil data to the fingertips of rubber growers and also recommend the optimum mix and quantities of chemical fertilizers that his holding requires.
- RubSIS is developed by Rubber Research Institute of India (RRII) under the Rubber Board in collaboration with – Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, Kerala ; National Bureau of Soil Survey and Land Use Planning, ICAR ; and National Remote Sensing Center, ISRO.
- It is a cost effective tool for sustainable and scientific management of rubber growing soils.
- Benefits of RubSIS:
- Preventing indiscriminate use of chemical fertilizers and soil degradation ;
- reduction in the cost of production of rubber ;
- increase in productivity ;
- reduction in environmental pollution.
International Current Affairs PDF – 25 January 2017
☀ United States Senate has confirmed Nikki Haley as the next Ambassador to the United Nations, making her the first Indian-American to serve on a Cabinet rank position under any presidential administration.
☀ Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro has awarded the first ever Hugo Chavez Prize for Peace and Sovereignty to Russian President Vladimir Putin.
☀ China has built Longyangxia Dam Solar Park, the world’s largest solar park which can produce about 850 MW of power in its Qinghai province.
Economics Today’s Current Affairs PDF – 25 January 2017
☀ The committee to review the Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management (FRBM) Act, constituted by the government in May 2016 following Mr. Jaitley’s announcement, in Budget 2016-17 has submitted its report.
- The 5-member panel was mandated to explore whether government should adopt a flexible fiscal deficit target instead of a fixed number every year.
- It was headed by N K Singh, former revenue secretary.
- The committee has recommended major changes in the 13-year-old Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management (FRBM) Act and suggested ways to ensure responsible and higher growth.
- There is also a suggestion that fiscal expansion or contraction should be aligned with credit contraction or expansion respectively in the economy.
About the Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management Act, 2003 (FRBM Act) :
It is an Act of the Parliament meant to institutionalize financial discipline, for reducing India’s fiscal deficit, improving macroeconomic management and the overall management of the public funds by moving towards a balanced budget.
25 January 2017 – Sports Daily Current Affairs PDF
☀ In Australian Open Tennis, Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna will now play against each other for a place in the Mixed Doubles semi-finals.
☀ The Syed Modi Grand Prix Badminton Gold Trophy starts in Lucknow, where 28 indian players have reached the main draw of 64.
☀ A programme named “Khelegi toh Khilegi” was flagged off by Dharmendra Pradhan, Union Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas. On the occasion of the National Girl Child Day, a pan-India football based programme for girls between the age of 10 to 15 years has been launched. It aims at developing girls football in the country, with an intention to empower the girl child.
☀ The Rest of India beat Ranji Trophy champions Gujarat to win the Irani Trophy by six wickets.
- The Irani Trophy is an annual one-off match played between the Ranji winners and a Rest of India team.
We hope this compilation was useful for going through today’s current events of importance. Please share your comments with us. You can download the current affairs pdf by clicking on print button and saving it as a pdf. Have a Good Day!
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.