National News Weekly Current Affairs Update (1 February to 7th February 2016)
The important weekly current affairs update have been listed below along with the other relevant and significant information regarding them. This compilation is not a substitute to regular newspaper reading. Rather, this will help in revision of all relevant current event happenings of the week starting from 1st February to 7th February 2016.
- The International Fleet Review (IFR) 2016, an international military exercise has been inaugurated in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. It is hosted and conducted by Indian Navy. Theme of IFR 2016 : “United through Oceans”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced that India will host the first ever Global Maritime Summit in April this year.
- India’s first ‘Water Tourism Festival’ Jal Mahotsav set to begin in Madhya Pradesh’s Hanuwantiya Island from February 12.
- The IRCTC has launched four ‘Bharat Darshan‘ special train packages from Delhi and Chandigarh that cover popular destinations in South India and Goa.
- Sarangi maestro Pandit Ram Narayan has been chosen for the prestigiousBharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi classical music award for 2015-2016. This annual award, instituted by the Maharashtra government, is given to individuals who have excelled in classical vocal or instrumental music.
- Odisha has lifted the three-year-old ban on its ruling of not allowing tourists to visit the tribal regions in the state. Cutting down the restricted places for foreigners by 50%, the government has allowed foreigners to visit other places with guides.
- The Uttar Pradesh government has hiked the Home Guards’ stipend by around 33%, making it the largest increase in the stipend in UP till date.
- India’s Tourism Ministry has proposed that all international visitors using the electronic Tourist Visa facility will get SIM cards on arrival.
- The Government is set to bring constitutional amendment in upcoming budget session of Parliament to give 50% reservation to women in rural panchayats and urban local bodies.
- The first ever electric train in India ran on this day (3rd February) in the year 1925 between Bombay VT and Kurla Harbour. Later, the electric line has been extended to Nashik’s Igatpuri district and then to Pune.
- Maharashtra government has decided to re-launch a scheme to encourage Dalit entrepreneurs’ participation in service and manufacturing sectors. The scheme, named after BR Ambedkar, reserves 20% plots for small and medium scale industries with Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation for Dalits.
- The UPA government’s flagship rural job guarantee scheme, Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA), has completed 10 years of implementation. The scheme has been introduced by the then PM Manmohan Singh in 2006 guaranteeing at least 100 days of wage employment to rural population.
- Rajasthan government has issued a notification setting ₹5,642 per month as minimum wage for domestic helps in the state. The state also limited the working hours of domestic help to 8 hours/day. This rule is applicable from 1st January 2016.
- Archana Ramasundaram has been appointed as the Sashastra Seema Bal Chief. A 1980-batch IPS officer of Tamil Nadu cadre, Ramasundaram was earlier serving as the Director of National Crime Records Bureau. This is the first time in India that a woman has been appointed to head a paramilitary force.
- In a landmark judgement, the Delhi High Court has stated that the eldest woman of a Hindu Undivided Family (HUF) can be its ‘karta’. The court has quoted Section 6 of the Hindu Succession Act to make this landmark judgement. The karta of a family has superior powers in family matters including those related to property. Usually, the first-born male member of an HUF becomes its karta.
- 50% of government jobs in Assam will be reserved for women, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has announced.
- To stop female infants from being abandoned in unsafe places, the Rajasthan Health Department has come up with an initiative called ‘Ashray‘. Under the initiative, the government will place specifically designed cradles in 65 state hospitals. These cradles are fitted with an alarm that rings two minutes after the baby is placed in it.
International News Weekly Current Affairs Update – (1 February to 31 January 2016)
By reading the following Weekly Current Affairs 2016, you can know the highlights of the week starting from 1st February to 7th February in brief.
- The first joint tactical exercise between border troops of India and China has been conducted in the Chushul-Moldo area. This is a part of the ongoing initiatives being taken by both the countries to ensure greater interaction between troops stationed along the Line of Actual Control, and thereby ensure peace and tranquility on the border.
- Japan is planning to build the ‘Sky Mile Tower’ skyscraper. This tower could be twice as tall as the current tallest building Burj Khalifa. The 5,577-feet tall tower will reportedly be surrounded by hexagonal man-made islands to protect Tokyo from flooding. This is a part of Japan’s ‘Next Tokyo’ plan to deal with overpopulation in cities by 2045.
- The 9th India-Nepal combined battalion-level military training exercise ‘Surya Kiran‘ will be conducted at Pithoragarh from 8th to 21st February 2016. Surya Kiran series of exercises is a bi-annual event conducted alternatively in India and Nepal. During the exercise, an infantry battalion each from the Indian Army and the Nepalese Army would train together and share their experiences of counter-terrorism operations and jungle warfare in mountainous terrain.
- Nepal army chief General Rajendra Chhetri has been conferred the honorary rank of General of the Indian Army by President Pranab Mukherjee at a special ceremony in New Delhi. Note : The honorary rank has been conferred for his “commendable military prowess and immeasurable contribution to fostering Nepal’s long and friendly association with India“.
- The United Nations Postal Administration has released 6 new postage stamps promoting equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.
- Canadian blood agencies have announced a temporary restriction on blood donations aimed at keeping the Zika virus out of the nation’s blood supply.
- Iraq has announced that it’s security forces have started building a wall around the capital Baghdad in an effort to prevent attacks by the so-called Islamic State (IS).
- North Korea has notified UN agencies of its plans to launch an earth observation satellite ‘Kwangmyongsong‘ sometime between 8th to 25th February 2016. Amid fears that the satellite launches are missile tests in disguise, the United States renewed calls for harsher UN sanctions against North Korea. However, North Korea has emphasised that pursuing a space programme is its sovereign right.
- The Japanese government announced that it has deployed ground and sea-based antimissile interceptors to prepare itself for a possible missile test by North Korea.
- (2nd February) is World Wetlands Day celebrated to raise public awareness about the importance and value of wetlands.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared Zika virus as a global public health emergency.
- Vice President of India, Mohammad Hamid Ansari has embarked upon 5-day official Visit of Brunei and Thailand. He is visiting Brunei at the invitation of Crown Prince Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has asked all countries, including India, to introduce age-classified ratings for films and other entertainment programmes with tobacco imagery in order to restrict the number of new adolescent smokers.
Economics News Weekly Current Affairs Update – (1 February to 7th February 2016)
Important news and events in the economic world that happened over the whole week including the Sunday news has been listed here for quick revision.
- PM Narendra Modi has dedicated Paradip Oil Refinery to the nation.
- According to a People’s Bank of China statement, China‘s Foreign-exchange reserves have dropped by $99.5 billion in January to $3.23 trillion, the lowest level since 2012.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced that the government will repurchase the Inflation-Indexed Bonds (IIBs) maturing in 2023, for an aggregate amount of ₹6,500 crore, through a reverse auction on February 11.
- Note that : Inflation-indexed bond is a type of bond in which the principal is indexed to official inflation or deflation data on a daily basis (Wholesale Price Index for India).
- India’s Commerce Ministry has announced a minimum import price across different grades of steel in a bid to control the surge of cheap imports and stabilise local industries. The duty ranges from $341 to $752 per tonne of steel and will be valid for six months.
- The Union urban development ministry has approved projects worth Rs 12 crore for improving tourist infrastructure in heritage places of Amaravati in Andhra Pradesh and Warangal in Telangana.
- Consumers who are charged more than the Minimum Retail Price (MRP) by shopkeepers and hotels can now WhatsApp their complaints to Weights and Measures department on 9869691666 or dial 022-22886666 for appropriate action.
- The Commerce and Industry Ministry has announced that Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in India more than doubled to about $4.5 billion in December 2015 from $2.16 billion in the year-ago period. The major sectors that attracted foreign inflows include computer software and hardware, trading, services and automobile.
- According to a report by global aviation body International Air Transport Association (IATA), India’s domestic air passenger traffic has grown by 20.2% in 2015 over the previous year, on higher economic growth and increase in the number of flights.
- The Gujarat-based Adani Group has announced that it will invest about ₹21,000 crore in energy, ports and renewable-energy sectors in the state of Karnataka. Around ₹11,500 crore will be used to increase Udupi Power Company’s capacity, while ₹7000 crore will be used in setting up a 1,000 MW solar plant.
- The Union Cabinet has allowed the Indian Railways to form joint ventures with the state governments for speedy implementation of rail projects. The joint ventures will be responsible for identifying projects, acquiring land, financing and monitoring them.
- Reliance Group Chairman Anil Ambani has announced the setting up of ‘Dhirubhai Ambani Centre for Innovation and Research in Aerospace‘ in Bengaluru. The centre, to be set up under Reliance Defence, will generate over 1,500 highly skilled jobs.
- Amazon has launched its grocery service with the name ‘Amazon Now‘ in select areas of Bengaluru.
- Currently available through an Android app, the service lets users order everyday essentials from their nearby stores and delivers them within two hours.
- Users can also opt for scheduled delivery of their orders through the app between 10am to 10pm.
- India has secured the top spot for the seventh straight quarter in Nielsen’s Consumer Confidence Index rankings for the December quarter. Philippines, Indonesia and Thailand take the next three spots.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has kept the key policy rates unchanged in its 6th bi-monthly monetary policy review.
- The RBI has asked banks in India to switch to only online filing of forms related to Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) on the government’s e-biz portal, starting February 8. Currently, RBI allows both online and physical filing of FDI forms for users.
Sports News Weekly Current Affairs Update – (1 February to 31 January 2016)
Important happenings in the field of sports have been given below. Since candidates don’t focus on sports news over the week, below you will find all the exam worthy details. We hope this weekly sports update is sufficient for your perusal.
- Indian women have beaten Australia by 5 wickets to win third and final ODI in Hobart.
- Shane Watson became the most expensive player of IPL 2016. Royal Challenge Bangalore bought him for ₹9.5 crore.
- Pawan Negi has became the most expensive Indian player to be bought at the IPL Auction 2016. He has been signed by Delhi Daredevils for ₹8.5 crores, eclipsing the ₹7 crores paid for Yuvraj Singh by SunRisers Hyderabad. Negi, who played for Chennai Super Kings in the IPL last season, has been also picked in the Indian squad for the World T20.
- 12th South Asian Games began at Guwahati. Eight countries — Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka, besides India — will be vying for the top honours in the Games to be co-hosted by Shillong. There will be 228 gold, 228 silver and 308 bronze medals on offer this time. India, who had topped the medal tally in all the editions so far, have the largest number of participants with 521 athletes (245 women).
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has appointed Rahul Dravid as member of newly constituted Anti-Corruption Unit Oversight Group. Apart from Rahul Dravid as a member,the group will consist of a Chairman, two members and two ex-officio members
- The ICC has removed India, England and Australia as the permanent members of its decision-making executive committee.
- Playing the first match of the Bengaluru leg of season three of the Pro Kabaddi League, Patna Pirates defeated the Bengaluru Bulls 33-24 .
- Two-time Olympian Sanjeev Rajput has secured India’s 12th shooting spot for the 2016 Rio Olympics. Rajput finished fourth in the men’s 50-metre rifle three positions event at the ‘Asia Olympic Qualifying Competition for Shooting’ at Dr. Karni Singh Shooting Range in New Delhi .
- Kerala has emerged as the overall winner for the 19th consecutive time at National School Athletics championship. The national School Athletics championship has been held at Olympian Rahman Stadium in Kozhikode, Kerala from 29th January 2016 to 2nd February 2016.
- Two-time Olympian Sanjeev Rajput secured India’s 12th shooting spot for the2016 Rio Olympics.
- Rajput finished fourth in the men’s 50-metre rifle three positions event at the ‘Asia Olympic Qualifying Competition for Shooting’ at Dr. Karni Singh Shooting Range in New Delhi .
- The newly-formed Rajkot-based Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise has been named as the Gujarat Lions. Indian batsman, Suresh Raina has been named the captain of the Lions while former Australian cricketer, Brad Hodge has been named as the coach of the team.
- Team India’s U-19 opener Rishabh Pant has recorded the fastest fifty in the ICC Under 19 Cricket World Cup against Nepal.
- After scoring a total of 199 runs in three T20Is against Australia at an average of 199.00, Virat Kohli has become the top-ranked T20I batsman in the world. Kohli has replaced Australia’s Aaron Finch at the top of the list.
- Former Indian cricketer, Virender Sehwag has appointed as the new mentor for Indian Premier League (IPL) outfit, Kings XI Punjab for the forthcoming ninth season of the league. Sehwag has played for the Kings XI Punjab in the 2014 and 2015 editions of the IPL.
- Renowned political cartoonist Sudhir Tailang has passed away. Tailang worked with brands like Indian Express, Hindustan Times and Times of India among others. He has been awarded Padma Shri in 2004 for his contribution in the art of cartooning.
- The sixth man to walk on the moon, astronaut Edgar Mitchell has passed away. As part of the Apollo 14 mission in 1971, he worked over nine hours on the Moon’s surface.
- Chef Benoît Violier, has dubbed the world’s best chef has passed away. This news of his death comes two months after his restaurant, the ‘Restaurant de l’Hôtel de Ville’, has been declared the world’s best restaurant by France’s ‘La Liste’.
- Well known Telugu litterateur Nayani Krishnakumari has passed away. Daughter of legendary writer Nayani Subbarao, she had begun writing stories with a history of Andhraites called Andhrula Katha when she has been 18.
- BBC presenter Terry Wogan, one of British television’s most familiar faces and the long-running anchor of its Eurovision coverage has passed away at age of 77 years.
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.