National News Weekly Current Affairs Update (28 December to 3rd January 2016)
The important weekly current affairs update have been listed below along with the other relevant and significant information regarding them. This compilation is not a substitute to regular newspaper reading. Rather, this will help in revision of all relevant current event happenings of the week starting from 28th December to 3rd January 2016.
- Carnatic vocalist, Sanjay Subrahmanyam has been conferred with the prestigious Sangita Kalanidhi award 2015. This is the highest honour given to a Carnatic musicians in India
- The award comprises of a gold medal and a ‘birudu patra’.
- The decision to abolish interviews for Class-III and IV government jobs has come into effect from 1st January 2016. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has described it as a New Year Gift.
- The ambitious Odd-Even car scheme of Delhi government, a first such intervention in the country to combat spiralling air pollution, has got off to a decent start . Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal has implemented this scheme to clean the Capital’s toxic air. Undet this scheme, only odd-numbered private cars will be allowed on the road on odd dates and even-numbered on even days. Where the Violators face a fine of Rs 2,000.
- The Uttar Pradesh Government has appointed Javed Ahmed as the new Director General of Police (DGP). He will retire in 2020 .
- Senior IAS officer Ashok Khemka who was instrumental in cancelling land mutation involving Robert Vadra has been promoted to the post of Principal Secretary from secretary to the government of Haryana.
- Madhu S. Nair has assumed the charge as Chairman and Managing Director of Cochin Shipyard. He took over the charge from Commodore K Subramaniam.
- The Parliament canteen will now work on No -profit, No-loss basis from this new year. The hike will apply to MPs, officials of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha, media persons, security personnel as well as the visitors. Note that: The cheapest charges of meals in Parliament canteen have been a matter of dialogue in the media from time to time. Therefore, Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan had directed the Parliament’s Food Committee to look into the matter which took this decision.
- Petroleum and Natural Gas Ministry has launched nationwide LPG emergency helpline number 1906 for leakage complaints. It will work 24×7 and it is common for all the three LPG marketing companies.
- To put an end to recent controversies surrounding the Censor Board, the Centre has set up a Committee headed by – Shyam Benegal (noted film-maker) to work out a revamp plan and submit its report within two months. The other members of the Committee are Hindi film director Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, Piyush Pandey, film critic Bhawana Somaaya, Nina Lath Gupta.
- Delhi has taken its first major step to curb pollution levels with its ‘odd-even’ vehicle rationing policy. Pollution levels in Delhi as per some studies is among the worst in world’s leading cities is expected to be lowered as lakhs of vehicles are expected to stay off roads for next 15 days.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has laid the foundation stone of ambitious Delhi-Meerut Expressway project. This project is aimed at easing traffic congestion in Delhi.
- The Union Railways Minister, Suresh Prabhu has dedicated a 26-Mega Watt windmill plant in Jaisalmer towards power procurement for the railways.
- Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences Dr Harsh Vardhan has unveiled the National Biotechnology Development Strategy 2015-2020 in New Delhi which aims to establish India as a world-class bio-manufacturing hub.
- The Union Cabinet has approved the construction of 69 bridges including approach roads on the Tamu-Kyigone-Kalewa (TKK) road section of the trilateral highway in Myanmar at a cost of Rs. 371.58 crore.
- The Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has been elected as the General Secretary of the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) for the 7th time.
- Eminent Gujarati writer Raghuveer Chaudhary will be honored with the 51st Jnanpith Award 2015. He has won this award for his contribution to Indian literature. This award carries a cash prize of 11 lakh rupees, a citation plaque and a bronze replica of Saraswati. He is the fourth Gujarati litterateur to bag this prestigious award after, Uma Shankar Joshi (1967), Pannalal Patel (1985), Rajendra Shah (2001).
- All central government ministries and their Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) have been told to dispense with the requirement of interviews for selections at junior level posts within next two days, however, they may continue with skill test or physical test.
- The Indian Navy has successfully conducted the maiden firing of its newly developed Long Range Barak 8 Surface-to-Air Missile (LR SAM), thereby crossing a significant milestone in enhancing its anti-air warfare capability. Apart from this missile, the system also includes a Multi Functional Surveillance and Threat Alert Radar (MF STAR) for detection, tracking and guidance of the missile. The firing trial of the LR SAM has been jointly carried out by the Indian Navy, DRDO and the Israel Aerospace Industries.
- Haryana Government has decided to fix a minimum educational qualification for the aspirants of contesting Urban Local Bodies (ULB) elections by amending state’s Municipal Corporation Act. Earlier, the government had included educational qualifications and other criteria for the Panchayat elections.
- Odisha’s famous Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik‘s Santa Claus sculpture (45-foot-tall) has got a place in the Limca Book of Records as the world’s largest sand sculpture.
- The central government has planned to organize the ‘Make in India Week’ in Mumbai during 13th to 18th February 2016. This week-long event, being organised by the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry, will have investors meet for the manufacturing sector under Make in India.
- The Civil Aviation Ministry has given clearance for the four greenfield airports including the Rs. 1,378 crore international airport at Dholera in Gujarat, which is expected to reduce air traffic load at the existing Ahmedabad airport. The three other greenfield airports are proposed to be set up in Andhra Pradesh.
- The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) has introduced e-office, an initiative which will help provide efficient services to the people by digitizing more than 12,000 files. It was formally launched by WCD Minister Maneka Sanjay Gandhi on the lines with the spirit of Good Governance initiative of Union Government in New Delhi.
- The Congress Party has celebrated its 131st Foundation Day. The party was founded on 28th December 1885 during the British Raj. Its founders include Allan Octavian Hume (a prominent member of the Theosophical Society), Dadabhai Naoroji and Dinshaw Wacha.
- The anti-jamming capability of the air-to-air Astra missile was successfully validated in recent trials conducted at the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). After carrying out some more trials, this Beyond-Visual-Range-Air-to-Air-Missile (BVRAAM) is set to be inducted into the Indian Air Force in 2016.
- Giving a boost to women empowerment, Sikkim government will have one all-women Police Station each in all its four districts. The state government has also announced posting of at least one woman Police Personnel in every Police Station.
- The Andhra Pradesh Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Microsoft for providing better services in education, agriculture and civic services. Microsoft India would provide technical help to Andhra Pradesh government in data gathering and analysis.
- A Parliamentary panel has suggested the Central government to increase the strength of women personnel in the Delhi Police force to 33% from the existing 9.27%. The central government had earlier approved the reservation of 33% for women in “non-gazetted posts” from constable to sub-inspector in the police forces of all Union Territories.
- With NITI Aayog CEO Sindhushree Khullar’s extended tenure coming to an end this month, the appointments panel has assigned the additional charge of this role to Kerala cadre officer Amitabh Kant.
International News Weekly Current Affairs Update – (28 December to 3 January 2016)
By reading the following Weekly Current Affairs 2016, you can know the highlights of the week starting from 28th December to 3rd January in brief.
- RIKEN group, a Japanese team led by Mr. Kosuke Morita, has received official credit for the discovery of element 113. After this, Element 113 has become the first element on the Chemistry’s Periodic table found in Asia.
- India and Pakistan have exchanged the list of their Nuclear Installations under a bilateral agreement which bars them from attacking each other’s atomic facilities. The agreement, which was signed on 31st December 1988 and entered into force on 27th January 1991, says that both the countries inform each other of nuclear installations and facilities to be covered under the Agreement on January 1 every year.
- (1st January 2016) is celebrated as the 49th World Day of Peace, first observed on 1 January 1968.
- The Theme of World Day of Peace 2016 : Overcome indifference and win peace
- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed an updated National Security Paper describing Nato’s expansion as a threat to the security of the country.
- Indian Origin Cancer expert Harpal Singh Kumar has received a knighthood by Queen Elizabeth II of England for his “influential” work on prevention and treatment of cancer.
- Pakistani singer Adnan Sami has been granted Indian citizenship by naturalisation with effect from January 1 following his request to the Centre to legalise his status in the country on humanitarian grounds.
- Afghanistan is set to host a meeting with the officials from Pakistan, the United States and China next week for preparing the way for possible peace talks with Taliban. This preliminary meeting will focus on resuming the peace process, which was stalled in July, following the death reports of Taliban chief Mullah Omar.
- China has successfully launched its “most sophisticated” observation satellite, Gaofen-4, as part of its high-definition earth observation project. Gaofen-4 has been launched from the Xichang Satellite Launch Centre in the southwestern province of Sichuan aboard a Long March-3B carrier rocket. Gaofen-4 is China’s first geosynchronous orbit HD optical imaging satellite and the world’s most sophisticated HD geosynchronous orbit remote sensing satellite.
- The Georgian Parliament has confirmed Giorgi Kvirikashvili as the country`s new Prime Minister.
- Russia’s Rostech State Corporation has tied up with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited for manufacturing at least 200 Kamov 226T light helicopters to replace the ageing fleet of Cheetah and Chetak, under the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- The 18th session of the India-Iran Joint Commission has been held in New Delhi, co-chaired by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Minister of Economic Affairs and Finance of the Islamic Republic of Iran Ali Tayebnia.
- Guinea has been declared free of Ebola transmission after more than 2,500 people died from the virus in the West African nation, leaving Liberia as the only country still counting down the days until the end of the epidemic. The country now enters a 90-day period of heightened surveillance.
- Note that: Ebola is the world’s worst outbreak of the disease which began in Gueckedou, eastern Guinea, in December 2013 before spreading to Liberia, Sierra Leone and seven other countries.
- Iraqi forces have seized a strategic government complex in the western city of Ramadi from the Islamic State (IS) after a fierce weeklong battle.
- China has now officially abandoned its controversial one child policy, thereby allowing couples to have a second child, ending its over three and half decades old policy that prevented over 400 million births in the country. Chinese lawmakers have passed this historic decision allowing all couples to have two children from January 1, amid deepening demographic crisis of shrinking workforce and ageing population in the world’s second largest economy.
- China has adopted its first counter-terrorism law that grants overarching powers to the security agencies amid criticism from the U.S. over privacy and freedom of speech. This new law makes it legal for the Peoples Liberation Army (PLA) to participate in counter terror missions overseas.
Economics News Weekly Current Affairs Update – (28 December to 3rd January 2016)
Important news and events in the economic world that happened over the whole week including the Sunday news has been listed here for quick revision.
- The Union Minister for Power Piyush Goyal has agreed to the request of Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu to support the Rs.7,500-crore scheme of replacing 15 lakh agricultural pump sets free of cost with five-star rated, energy efficient pump sets in the State.
- The World Bank has agreeded to give a loan of USD 50 million for Nai Manzil Education and Skills Training for minorities. The financing agreement for International Development Association (IDA) credit was signed between the Finance Ministry and the World Bank.
- The Drug Authentication and Verification Application (DAVA) project of The Department of Commerce has won the 2015 eASIA Award under Trade Facilitation category.
- Iran’s leading banks will soon open branches in India for energising commercial ties between New Delhi and Tehran. India has decided to allow the Pasargan Bank and Parsian Bank of Iran to set up branches in New Delhi and Mumbai.
- The government has given its approval for signing an MoU for conservation of migratory birds of prey in Africa and Eurasia. This MOU will help India gain knowledge in effectively managing the habitats of these raptors. India is set to become the 54th signatory to the MoU.
- In a boost for Mumbai, the Centre has cleared the final notification for building the 33.2 kilometre Coastal road in Mumbai from Nariman Point to Kandivali. It is a Rs 12,000 crore project. Once completed, it would be one of a kind road in the country as it will be on par with roads in San Diego and Sydney.
- The Union Cabinet has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Jordan in October for promoting cooperation in the field of Information Technology and Electronics.
- The Centre has sanctioned over Rs 5,000 crores for drought-hit Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh. Rs.3049 crores have been alloted for the drought affected regions of state of Maharashtra and around Rs. 2000 crores for state of Madhya Pradesh.
- Low cost airline SpiceJet hs launched SpiceVacations.com, an end-to-end travel solutions platform to offer customised travel packages. The travel solutions platform will enable customers to choose from thousands of travel packages from its network of domestic and international destinations.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved an increase in the budget for implementation of the grid connected solar rooftop systems under the National Solar Mission from Rs 600 crore to Rs 5,000 crore by 2019-20. This will support Installation of 4,200 megawatt peak (MWp) solar rooftop systems in the country in the next five years.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has cleared the ‘Amended Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme,’ under which apparel, garment and technical textiles will get 15 per cent subsidy on capital investment. The remaining sub-sectors will be eligible for 10 per cent subsidy, subject to a ceiling of Rs.20 crore, on similar lines, according to a government statement.
- Pump manufacturing major, CRI Pumps has bagged the ‘Export Quality Excellence’ award for the 11th time in a row.
- Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone (APSEZ) have announced that it has appointed Karan Adani as its chief executive officer. He is set to replace the current CEO Sudipta Bhattacharya.
- Union Minister for Communications and IT Ravi Shankar Prasad has announced that the India Post Payment Bank will start operations in March 2017. He has said several Indian and foreign financial institutions such as the World Bank and Deutsche Bank have approached the state-owned postal department for a tie-up.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has released the Report on Medium-term Path on Financial Inclusion submitted by 14-member committee headed by RBI Executive Director Deepak Mohanty. The committee has suggested that — all credit accounts be linked to a unique biometric identifier such as the Aadhaar unique identity number for helping to identify multiple loan accounts and prevent borrowers from becoming over-indebted.
- The Union Ministry of Finance has released the report of the 9-member Committee on Revisiting and Revitalising Public Private Partnership (PPP) Model. The committee was headed by former Finance Secretary Vijay Kelkar. This committee was constituted on 26 May 2015 to review the experience of PPP Policy and suggest measures to improve capacity building in Government for their effective implementation.
- State-run oil refiner and marketer Bharat Petroleum Corp (BPCL) has commissioned a new 6-million tonne crude distillation unit (CDU) at its Mumbai refinery, which will take the capacity of its oldest facility to 12 million tonne per annum.
- Tax payers with an annual income of more than Rs 10 lakh will not get subsidised cooking gas (LPG) from next month as the government has decided to limit supply of under-priced fuel to cut subsidies.
- At present, all households are entitled to get 12 cylinders of 14.2-kg each at subsidised rate of Rs 419.26, while the market price is Rs 608.
- Note that: The government had earlier successfully implemented the (Pratyaksha Hastaantarit Laabh) PAHAL scheme, which transferred cooking gas subsidy directly to bank accounts of 14.78 crore customers to ensure that benefits go only to the target group.
- MTNL has launched nation wide free roaming.With this, the public sector telecom company catering to the two metropolises of Mumbai and Delhi will provide free incoming roaming service to its subscribers across the country.
- According to the financial services major Barclays, India’s Current Account Deficit (CAD) remains under check and is expected to be lesser than $25 billion this fiscal.
- Reliance has announced the launch of Reliance Jio 4G services for use by over 1 lakh Reliance employees and their families across India. Reliance Jio holds the highest amount of liberalised spectrum among telecom operators.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said the government’s “Direct Benefit Transfer Scheme” has received a place in the Guinness World Records as the largest direct benefit transfer scheme. Rs.40,000 crore has been transferred to the accounts of the beneficiaries through different schemes.
- PM Narendra Modi has announced that the Action plan of the ‘Start-up India, Stand-up India‘ will be unveiled on 16th January 2016 and has also urged the states to help spread this campaign across the country’s nook and corner. Modi made the announcement about the campaign in his Independence Day address.
- The World Bank has approved an additional financial assistance of $35 million for supporting improved management, planning and development of water resources in the Indus River Basin in Pakistan with better environmental and social considerations. This is in addition to the $38 million given earlier towards improvement of water resources management in the Indus River system.
- State-run Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) has topped the list of Fortune 500 Indian companies 2015 for the 6th consecutive time.
Sports News Weekly Current Affairs Update – (28 December to 3 January 2016)
Important happenings in the field of sports have been given below. Since candidates don’t focus on sports news over the week, below you will find all the exam worthy details. We hope this weekly sports update is sufficient for your perusal.
- World chess champion Magnus Carlsen of Norway has won the Qatar Masters Open chess tournament.
- India beats Maldives to enter the final of South Asian Football Federation Cup.
- The BCCI Cricketer of the Year Award 2015 goes to Indian test team captain Virat Kohli.
- Sweden’s Bjorn Isberg has been named the Tournament director of the 4th edition of the Hockey India League (HIL).
- Rising India wrestlers Bajrang Punia and Ritu Phogat have won the gold medals in Men’s 65kg and Women’s 48kg Freestyle categories respectively at the National Wrestling Championship held in Delhi.
- The Globe Soccer has announced the winners of Globe Soccer Awards 2015. The winners are:
- Best Player of The Year – Lionel Messi (Barcelona)
- Best Agent of the Year – Jorge Mendes (Portugal)
- First Player Career Award – Andrea Pirlo (Italy)
- Best Coach of the Year – Marc Wilmots (Belgium)
- Best Club of the Year – FC Barcelona
- Best Referee of the Year – Ravshan Irmatov (Uzbekistan)
- Mumbai Garuda beats Haryana Hammers to win the first season of Pro Wrestling League title 2015.
- Jammu and Kashmir is set to host the 12th National Ice-Skating Championship at the famous ski-resort of Gulmarg. This 5 day championship will have the participation of 17 teams from various states in the country.
- New Zealand has clinched 10 wickets victory over Sri Lanka in the second ODI at Christchurch.
- Indian referee Ashok Kumar has been selected for officiating in the Rio Olympics wrestling events 2016. This is the first time in the in the Indian wrestling history that a referee from India will be officiating at the Olympic Games.
- Veteran CPI leader A B Bardhan has passed away. He has been a leading figure of the trade union movement and Left politics in Maharashtra.
- Iconic Marathi poet and Padma Bhushan recipient Mangesh Keshav Padgaonkar has passed away. He has received several awards, including the Sahitya Academy Award in 1980 for his collection of poems Salam, the MP Literary Conference Award in 1956, and the Maharashtra State Award in 1953 and 1955.
✍ ✍ ✍ ✍ ✍ ✍ Study Material & Notes for Various Exams ✍ ✍ ✍ ✍ ✍ ✍
★ General Awareness – Study Material & Notes here »»»»»»»
★ Current Affairs – Study Material & Notes here »»»»»»»»»»
★ Reasoning – Study Material & Notes here »»»»»»»»»»»»»»
★ English – Study Material & Notes here »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
★ History – Study Material & Notes here »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
★ Geography – Study Material & Notes »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
★ Economics – Study Material & Notes »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
★ Political Science – Study Material & Notes »»»»»»»»»»»»»
★ Banking – Study Material & Notes »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.