Economics is a topic that can be an anathema to many IAS aspirants. But, this is an essential part of the IAS prelims and the mains exam in which one reveals it in the GS paper 3.
Far from being a ‘boring’ and ‘complicated’ problem, economics can be a laugh to study in case you understand it nicely.
Learn more about economics in ExamPariksha’s Economics Study Material.
Some basic important terms that are indispensable for your economics study for the UPSC exam are:
- GDP: Gross Domestic Product (GDP)
- GNP: Gross National Product (GNP)
- NDP: Net Domestic Product: NDP = GDP – Depreciation
- NNP: Net National Product: NNP = GNP – Depreciation
- Depreciation: A decrease in the value of an asset over time due to wear and tear.
- Monetary Policy: Process by which the central bank in a country controls the supply of money. In India, the central bank is the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- REPO rate: Re-Purchase Option (REPO): Rate at which the RBI gives loans to other banks.
- Reverse REPO rate: Rate at which the RBI borrows from other banks. It is lower than the REPO rate.
- CRR: Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR)
- SLR: Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR)
- MSF: Marginal Standing Facility (MSF)
- Bank Rate
- CRAR: Capital to Risk Weighted Assets Ratio (CRAR)
- Fiscal Policy
- Fiscal Deficit
- Balance of Payments (BOP)
- Balance of Trade (BOT)
- Capital: It is the sum of money invested in a business to generate a profit.
- Carbon Tax: It is an environmental tax imposed on products that use carbon-based materials and cause greenhouse pollution.
- Inflation: The rate at which the prices of goods and services rise in a country. Thus, it causes a fall in the purchasing power of the currency.
- Depression: It is a prolonged and severe downturn in the economic activity of a country. It is more severe than a recession.
- FDI: Foreign Direct Investment (FDI)
- Free Trade Agreement
- Progressive Tax
- Tariff: It is the tax imposed on imported goods and services. So, tariffs make imported goods costlier.
- SEZ: Special Economic Zone (SEZ)
You can use our free notes for revising economics for UPSC CSE in ExamPariksha’s Economics Study Material.
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.