Distinct words used in a sentence perform different functions. In English Grammar, Words are divided into eight different classes according to their use. Under this classification of words according to the work they do in a sentence, they are called Parts of Speech. There are total eight parts of speech in English Grammar.
Part of Speech: The Noun
A noun is a word used for the name of a person, or thing, quality, state or an action. For example;
Ashoka was a great king.
Here the noun is ‘Ashoka’ which refers to a particular king, hence, it is known as proper noun. While ‘king’ is also known as noun referring to any king in general , hence called as common noun.
Other types of nouns are – Collective, Abstract, Countable, Uncountable noun.
- Jaipur is known as pink city.
- The sun shines bright.
Parts of Speech: Adjective
An adjective is a word that is used to add something to the meaning of a noun. it adds quality to a noun, or a pronoun. For instance;
- She is a brave girl
- The dog is lazy.
- Kabir gave me five apples.
- Some cats like cold water.
- This car is faster than others.
- Which way shall we go?
There are different types of adjectives.
- Descriptive adjectives
- Numerical adjectives
- Quantitative adjectives
- Demonstrative adjectives
- Interrogative adjectives
- Emphasizing adjectives
- Exclamatory adjectives
Part of Speech: Pronoun
A pronoun is a word used instead of a noun or phrase in order to avoid its repetition. For instance,
- The oranges is where you left them.
- I then hurt myself.
- These shirts are mine.
- The climate of Delhi is like that of Jaipur.
- Do good to others.
- Any fool can do that.
- They respected one another.
- What is it all about?
- I asked who was farting?
Parts of Speech: The Verb
A verb is a word that is used to express a state or an action. Hence, it is also considered a doing word. For instance;
- Delhi is a big city.
- Gold and silver are useful metals.
- He spoke the truth.
- He enjoys good health.
- He burnt with shame.
Parts of Speech: An Adverb
A pronoun is a word that adds something to the meaning of a verb, adjective, or even another adverb and other parts of speech, except nouns and pronoun. For instance;
- She worked the problem quickly.
- A dark little boy sat under a bridge.
- Govinda reads quite clearly.
- She was agreeable disappointed.
Part of Speech: Preposition
A preposition is word that is placed before a noun or a pronoun to show its relationship to some other words in a sentence. For instance;
- The boy is fond of music.
- There is a fox in the jungle.
- What are you looking at?
- The cat jumped off the chair.
Part of Speech: Conjunction
A conjunction is used to join words, clauses or sentences. For instance;
- Billa and Ranga are cousins.
- Shila is fat but she is beautiful.
- Balu looks as if he was waery.
- Take this and give that.
- I read the magzine because it interests me.
Parts of Speech: Interjection
An interjection is a word that shows a sudden feeling or sentiment or emotion. For instance;
- Alas! She is wounded.
- Hurrah! We have won the prestigious match.
- Well done! I am proud of you.
We'll Teach You FREE, How You Can...
» Crack Exams Like UPSC, RPSC, NET-JRF in no time!
» We'll send you all our Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Material Free of Cost!
» You'll also receive FREE eBooks & Questions Papers!
Sign Up Now!
Register to get our Free Study Material by email.
We never spam or share your personal information with anyone.